Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Electronic Stability Control important for safety rating

Report on Business mag just released this story on the importance of a vehicle having ESC on a vehicle to receive a top safety rating.

I have it on our vehicle and experienced the feature. Not long ago I was proceeding up an on ramp in wet weather. Suddenly without warning the back end broke loose. Almost immediately the stability control feature kicked in (dash board light flashing) and the vehicle stopped it's slide and I continued on in a straight line. When the roads dried up the next day I noticed a dark residue on the on ramp. I suspect a vehicle had leaked a slippery fluid on the ramp the day before.

The article talks about the Toyota Tundra has having this feature but many truck builder will be adding ESC in the near feature.

I researched this topic but the only RV related testing I found relating to ESC was one where Can Am RV in Ontario did some on track testing with a vehicle with ESC towing a large Airstream in some aggressive maneuvers. The article in RV Lifestyle magazine reported that it was very difficult to get the combination to do anything wrong. Any towing enthusiast, or safety conscious RV'er would find these kinds of articles very interesting.

reportonbusiness.com: Ford, Honda lead list of safest vehicles
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi Raod Ruler...living in Northern Minnesota with plenty of snow (smoetimes!) we drive a all wheel drive Land Crusier. This is our third and on the last one prior to our current 2004...a 1994...the fancy "traction control" was a very expensive option. On our 2004 I am quite sure it was standard.

I had not really felt it in action until last winter when I was riding into town from our home out in the country and accelerated and caused the vehicle to slide out on the rear. It snapped! back into line almost instantly...I looked at my wife and said..."Now I know what that traction control does" It IS amazing.

We are in the market for a new auto for my wife and I have noticed most new vehicles have their own "brand" of computerized traction control. We are shopping fairly well equiped models.

Soon will be standard on all. Thanks...Tom R

P.S. Does not surprise me that CanAm is researching this feature TMR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I don't know if "AdvanceTrac" on my Expedition is what ESC is???? but my Ford dealer told me to turn it off when towing.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I guess then the 08 F-250 will have a top safety rating. I test drove one the other day. It had traction control.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In '06, I believe, Mercedes added a towing mode to their ESC.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
The names of the various systems available make it confusing to know exactly what system you have. In general "traction control" and "electronic stability control" are not the same thing.

Traction control utilizes the anti-lock brake components to determine wheel speed differential and applies the brake to the wheel that has lost its grip. this would only apply to the brakes at the wheel on a driven axle.

Electronic stability programs monitor steering and throttle inputs as well and will apply the brakes to a single or combination of wheels and can reduce engine power in an attempt to regain control if the system "sees" that the vehicle is not doing what the driver intended for it to do.

The ESP on the new Dodge Ram also includes hill start assist which momentarily applies the brake to prevent roll back and trailer sway control which checks for lateral forces or yaw caused by a swaying trailer and applies braking at specific corners to help eliminate the sway.

How, do you suppose we ever drove these vehicles with out all this assistance?
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Boldly?
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Red face

Quote:
How, do you suppose we ever drove these vehicles with out all this assistance?
Good question; one that is frequently asked by customers when they're paying for an $800 antilock module in their 5 year old car, and this in Los Angeles where it has rained 3 days in the last more-than-a-year! I work on Volvos, and another example of dazzling overcomplicated technology is the sideview mirrors, upon which a given year/model has umpteen possible permutations none of which is under $400 and some are double that... heated or non, curved glass or flat, approach lighting or not, memory or not, electronically foldable or not... plus the whole palette of colors; and some things like the ambient temperature sensor which, if not fixed, will nag the driver in the text window and maybe make the A/C not work correctly. But I digress.

Dynamic Traction Stability Control is rather fascinating. There are some neat animations online showing how it works, applying one or two brakes momentarily to correct a yaw condition. Honestly not sure if the engineers accounted for having a trailer applying forces/inertia to the mix; there is a button to turn it off. Personally, I LIKE the option of "getting sideways", at least, when I WANT to!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
_

. , .
we're almost towing with space craft folks...

Quote:
Boasting unsurpassed capability, Chrysler Aspen will give customers more peace of mind in towing conditions with segment exclusive Trailer Sway Control, ” said Mike Donoughe, Vice President – Body-on-frame Product Team, Chrysler Group. “Chrysler Aspen is designed for safety and stability with standard Electronic Stability Program, Electronic Roll Mitigation and Trailer Sway Control.”

Trailer Sway Control
Trailer Sway Control reduces trailer sway (an alternating yaw of the vehicle) and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds and traffic, provides trailer stability and increases towing safety.

Software monitors the vehicle’s movement relative to the driver’s intended path. The vehicle yaw sensor recognizes sway. Once the system determines the sway is increasing not as a result of the driver’s steering input, Trailer Sway Control applies brake pressure on one front wheel to counteract the yaw induced by the trailer and applies brake pressure to all four wheels to slow the vehicle. As the trailer sways to the other side of the vehicle, Trailer Sway Control will increase pressure to the opposite side of the vehicle. The technology will continue to apply alternating brake pressure and reduce engine torque until the trailer is under control.
CHRYSLER ASPEN DEMONSTRATES NEW TOWING TECHNOLOGY

Chrysler Aspen Reviews - New Chrysler Aspen Review & Research – New York Times

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote