Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Thumbs up Duramax Suburban!

Well, it's not factory, but a company is putting them in aftermarket.

Linkee: http://www.duramaxsuburban.com
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
That would be a nice combo. I have the same truck as yours, but 2004. I'm crazy about it, but would have liked a 'burg.

Pick - where did you get your propane-powered Honda? I have about given up on the US Carb Yamaha.

Thanks - Pat.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Well, it's not factory, but a company is putting them in aftermarket.

Linkee: http://www.duramaxsuburban.com
Pick,
I've spoken to this individual several times in the past abt this very Burb. I was lead to believe that, it had been sold..
His asking price was reasonable (69k, at the time).
Nice detailed work...
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would guess that a factory diesel Suburban is not too far away. The 2500 vans now have the LLY (2nd gen) Duramax diesel engine mated to was looked like a modified 4L80e of some sort, not the Allison though.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
More info!?

Silver & 53 -

Any more info on the Duramax/Allison combo. I know that you only posted yesterday, but then these things can move 'on a dime' on occation. Don't want to miss getting my order in... if things do come around!

Thanks again for your work, attention and keeping us all up to date!!

Axel

PS - put me on the 'list' of people to notify if things change!!!
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
That would be a nice combo. I have the same truck as yours, but 2004. I'm crazy about it, but would have liked a 'burg.

Pick - where did you get your propane-powered Honda? I have about given up on the US Carb Yamaha.

Thanks - Pat.
Pat,

I just had US Carb convert a carb from an Onan Marquis 7000 gen set for me. They took 2 weeks from when I sent the carb to them to when I received it. They have kits available for just about any generator. This way, you can buy what you want and get the appropriate kit to convert it, or you can remove the carb and send it to them. They do the conversion for free when you buy the kit from them.

The kit has all of the parts needed and a new demand type 'pancake' regulater that is required for vapor propane use. It's not hard to do the conversion if you are a little handy. I just didn't have the time to mess with it, so I had them do it.

You're instructed to break in your new unit on gasoline before converting it anyway so teh valves seat properly, so you could buy your Honda or a Yamaha from someone else, do the break-in while waiting for your conversion kit to arrive, then do the conversion yourself and you're ready to go!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Axel, I don't have real solid info except for the fact that GM has redesigned the Burb and it is now on the market. Within the last 3 or 4 months, the 2nd gen Duramax has found its way into the 3/4 ton vans. I crawled under one on a lot a few Sundays ago and found it mated to what I believe was a modified 4L80e. It seems only natural now that the 8.1L has gone away for the 2007 model year that this may be a viable option to get the burb to hit the tow ratings that the 8.1L did...maybe even exceed it. If I were in the market, but not in dire need, I might be inclined to hold of for a year and see what happens. Of course if you need one now, you're gonna have to pick from what is out there since a diesel in the burb is pure speculation on my part.

Of course this seem logical to couch coaches like me, but who knows what GM would actually do....
Old 05-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
A Steal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Silver & 53 -

Any more info on the Duramax/Allison combo. I know that you only posted yesterday, but then these things can move 'on a dime' on occation. Don't want to miss getting my order in... if things do come around!

Thanks again for your work, attention and keeping us all up to date!!

Axel

PS - put me on the 'list' of people to notify if things change!!!
silvertoy,
I'll be glad to do my part..
The info I have concerning the unit worked over in CO was, the individual took a new 3/4 diesel pickup and, (no puns intended) ripped out the diesel, Allison, dash, puter control and, a few other drive-train goodies to be installed in a very low mileage, 3/4 2005 Burb. Replaced all of the gas components with the diesel. Also, in the process raised the Burb 2" higher for the Allison, etc to fit underneath.
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Just wondering; what will happen to current diesel trucks when the new fuel and regs come into effect next year?

Will cureent engines burn the new low sulfur fuel?

How will it effect them?

I'm a little confused on all this...

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Just wondering; what will happen to current diesel trucks when the new fuel and regs come into effect next year?

How will it effect them?

Thanx, Bill
I would assume they'd adapt as they did from the first to second gen Duramax. The second gen had an EGR, whereas the 1st gen didn't.

What this means for a next gen engine or mods needed to conform to any emission standards is unclear, but if history is any indication, it could mean a performance hit, might not.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Where has all the 'power' gone???

Hello all -

Seems like I read about the 'power' of motors is going crazy these days. 400+ Corvette's, 550+ Mercedes's, Ferrari's are 500+.... Torque is up there too!!!!

Where does all this translate with the towing crowd????

There are just no really great alternatives for the TT crowd.

Now, I am NOT knocking the 350/450/x50's and the 2500/3500/x500 drivers out there. Not to mention the Freightliners and etc...

But there is NO REAL alternative available.

What about us real "day to day drivers" that have a BIG chunk to pull on bi-monthly excursions...? Where are we in this latest power/ tow contraction that seems to be griping the builders?

Is there any relief in sight???

Axel
Old 05-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You can spend the ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex

How will it effect them?

Thanx, Bill
Hi Bill,
My guess is, yes we'll be able to burn the new 15ppm fuel but with some modification to it. Seems that the additional cost is going to be in the average range of 0.5 per gallon. (This is a joke IMHO)
Not sure if you've read or seen this REPORT from the EPA.
Rather than going over it, I'll send the link..It's a month worth of reading..
You'll need adobe reader to open pdf
Fuel regulation:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/hd2007/frm/ria-v.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/diesel.htm#documents
then there's the info on "Green Diesel Fuel"
www.greendieseltechnology.com.

There's hundreds of pages of info here..

if you're a fast reader, we'll see you back in a few weeks..lol
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I guess my concern is; I am ready to buy a new truck soon.
Do I buy now or wait till the 07 (new engine) comes out?
I understand the new diesels (burning the new fuel) will not be as efficient as current diesels?

But will old (current) diesels also lose efficiency nurning the new fuel?
Will they be as "inefficient" as the new/new combo?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Me too Bill!

I too am considering a new truck. "Kelly", the green 'Burb, is really AOK and with 59K on the clock. Just really trying to think ahead another 5 years and what the situation will likely be then.

I will only replace the current TV if there is something that is far and away better in all respects than what I have now. Would likely stick with a gasser as the entry to a diesel is really quite steep, especially at the already high sticker prices....

Sort of a nice situation to be in - don't have to do anything unless there is a reason to. I'll just sit back and enjoy.

Keep the info coming as there are plenty of interested readers!!!

Ciao

Axel
Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I have read that diesel engine prices will be increasing by $5k minimum...does it make mores sense to purchase now?

This may be the time to get a diesel before the new and improved (re; less effieicent) and more expen$ive diesel technology hits the street.

Any more thought on all this?

Thanx, B