Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,705
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
I'm waiting until 20K to change over if at all. The diesel heads around here tell me if I have the extra money for oil then change it more oftem. Felt kind of silly when they put it like that.

If you are waiting until 20k to change your oil there may be other factors that you havent considered. You might want to send a sample of that 20k oil to Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne IN. and have them test it. They may find anything from coolant contamination to high iron content. Oil is cheap. Engines are $$. I use Delo 15/40 and change at the recommended 5k interval for my truck. Semi trucks are a different animal than our light duty trucks. Just one mans opinion.

Vinnie
__________________

__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
I was a big Mobil one person after I drove my Oldsmobeater for 170k on conventional oils. I made the switch because I was towing larger and larger things.

I have since switched to Amsoil. Is it worth it? I think so, even though I used conventional oils for 20 years....but I was also changing the oil every 3000 miles then too. Now between 8 to 12 months and 5000 to 7000 miles. I feel that syn fluid does withstand a bit more abuse than conventional, but as a consumer you have to make the final decision what you feel is right and a good value.

Me I have it in most my entire drivelines in each vehicle I currently own.
__________________

__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,717
It's amazing how this thread cam back to life. Looks like it started in 2006. I guess a good topic has a hard time biting the dust. Since I drive a Chevy with a Duramax engine and use synthetic oil products in it, I enjoy hearing what everyone else is doing with their trucks.
Recently, a poll was taken on a popular GM pick up truck forum and I was surprised to find out that only a small percentage of people actually use synthetic oils in their vehicles.
I'm sure there are a million opinions out there, but one thing that sold me on synthetics years ago was that I had a Ford Diesel that needed new head gaskets and I had always used Delvac 1 in it. A friend and I did the job and the engine was clean inside and had almost no signs of wear on the components. There is some truth to the hype. I don't remember the exact mileage when we did the job but it was over the 150,000 mark.
__________________
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
1 Rivet Short
 
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,547
Images: 3
Yes, this is a resurrected old thread! Guess Iíll update everyone as to what the ants have been up to; I still run Rotella Syn in the diesel, get it wallyworld. Truck runs great. The diesel uses 10 qts, but I only need to service it 1/year so itís no big deal. Oil/filter/fuel filter once/year, mileage is 24-25 mpg highway not towing, 15 mpg towing with kayaks up top, 18 mpg with the TC on the back, and 17 mpg around town unloaded. Ver please with the diesel, and with the syn oil; they donít lose viscosity and they do extend maintenance intervals.

Bill
__________________
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member
 
1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
First, you can immediately start using Mobil1 or any synthetic in any engine regardless of breal-in schedule. I have been using Mobil1 for years in vehicles from new.

As far as diesel oil goes, I recently did some extensive research on the Mobil1 products and came up with some interesting findings. ExxonMobil has made a product called Delvac1 for many years for the large commercial diesel engines used in long haul trucking. The oil is intended for use with extended drain intervals of 50,000+ miles using oil smapling as a tool to predict change intervals. Delvac1 is considered by many to be the king of the diesel synthetics and is very expensive ($35+ per gallon). It is also very difficult to find.

In a converstaion with reps at the Mobil1 help phone desk, I was told that Delvac1 is now EXACTLY the same product that is now available at Wal-Mart known as Mobil1 Turbo Diesel. I was told that Mobil1 realized the inavailability of Delvac1 to common folks because it is distributed by the Mobil Commercial products group so they bottled the product under the better known Mobil1 line that is available everywhere and at a discount.

Read the reviews at Welcome . Also read the reviews on the Mobil1 oil filters.
__________________
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #34
1 Rivet Short
 
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,547
Images: 3
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batwingz View Post
First, you can immediately start using Mobil1 or any synthetic in any engine regardless of breal-in schedule. I have been using Mobil1 for years in vehicles from new.
True, Corvettes, and some other vehicles come from factory with syn

Quote:
As far as diesel oil goes, I recently did some extensive research on the Mobil1 products and came up with some interesting findings. ExxonMobil has made a product called Delvac1 for many years for the large commercial diesel engines used in long haul trucking. The oil is intended for use with extended drain intervals of 50,000+ miles using oil smapling as a tool to predict change intervals. Delvac1 is considered by many to be the king of the diesel synthetics and is very expensive ($35+ per gallon). It is also very difficult to find.
True, I can't find it around here...
Quote:
In a converstaion with reps at the Mobil1 help phone desk, I was told that Delvac1 is now EXACTLY the same product that is now available at Wal-Mart known as Mobil1 Turbo Diesel. I was told that Mobil1 realized the inavailability of Delvac1 to common folks because it is distributed by the Mobil Commercial products group so they bottled the product under the better known Mobil1 line that is available everywhere and at a discount.
I am almost due for my annual maint, so I will check at wallys! Thanx.

Bill
__________________
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
If you are waiting until 20k to change your oil there may be other factors that you havent considered. You might want to send a sample of that 20k oil to Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne IN. and have them test it. They may find anything from coolant contamination to high iron content. Oil is cheap. Engines are $$. I use Delo 15/40 and change at the recommended 5k interval for my truck. Semi trucks are a different animal than our light duty trucks. Just one mans opinion.

Vinnie
Did the change to Amsoil at 20k, changed the oil at 5k and 10k. Last change I used the dealer stuff. MPH went down right away. Due to change again for the season and will use the amsoil again.
__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member
 
1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
To add another controversial topic to the thread, many of you have mentioned that their is little advantage to switching to synthetic in lieu of dino oil if you have an established change interval. I agree. Many of the old reliable diesel oils (Delo, Delvac and Rotella) have long successful track records.

The new issue is the change to CJ-4 of ALL the oils both synthetic and dino. Exhaust scrubbers require the reduction of critical components in the oil formulations, specifically zinc. So it remains to be seen how this across the board change effects the long term performance of any diesel engines.

Bottom line, if you change reguarily and use a diesel oil, you should not have issues. I use Delvac1 in my Cummins (17 quarts) and change oil and filters once a year. The limited mileage we put on the MH does not warrant more frequent intervals but I have the comfort of knowing the synthetic is there if the engine gets hot.
__________________

__________________
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Oil Question ViewRVs Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 12 05-25-2008 09:45 AM
Oil Change Fear and Woes Chaplain Kent Classic Motorhomes 14 04-09-2006 08:09 PM
Vortec 8.1ltr Krazykraut Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 13 10-20-2002 06:53 AM
oil and trans fluids ALANSD Airstream Motorhome Forums 22 08-01-2002 03:47 AM
Partial Floor change winner Floor Finishes 12 07-22-2002 07:08 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.