Old 10-08-2003, 03:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Congrats John You are going to love it. Just curious, where you are going to mount your CB. I have not done mine yet. Not sure where to mount the antenna either.
I had my Cobra connection box in the overhead console in the 2001 with the connector hanging out. I think I will put the Cobra in the small overhead console in the new truck and use a through-the-glass antenna like I did before. I kept the antenna, but I would have to find new adhesive pads. I had good performance with the old setup.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
I picked the truck up at noon
Congratulations!
Is it the one with the new smaller but more powerful diesel engine?

Old 10-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI

Congratulations!
Is it the one with the new smaller but more powerful diesel engine?
6.6L, 300 hp, 520 foot pounds, 22000# GCWR

With my present trailer, I don't even need to use Tow0Haul!
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 04:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Congrats John You are going to love it. Just curious, where you are going to mount your CB. I have not done mine yet. Not sure where to mount the antenna either.
I was just out looking at the situation. I'll use the through-the-glass antenna at the right corner of the windshield as before and coil the excess cable above the headliner. There is space in the center where the headliner is flat to accept the long overhead console.
The little box on the CB will go in the sunglass compartment in the overhead console with the connector coming out between the console and the headliner. This will only take about half the space in the sunglass compartment and I'll conceal the metal box with some fabric. There will still be space for sunglasses.
I'll have to jury-rig some sort of hook for the Cobra microphone, maybe further back on the headliner.
Nice thing is that this gets the unit close to my right ear. On the old truck, I hung the Cobra from the sunglass compartment lid which had a perfect notch.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 06:52 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Chas,

The common rail fuel injection systems on the newer diesels, including the Navistars used by ford, operate at up to 30,000 psi. The amount of dirt, in the 5 to 15 micron range, in USA diesel fuel at these pressures is sand blasting the injectors. Even with hardened injectors, the injectors will evenually fail. Through actual fuel analysis, you can see that 2 micron absolute filters remove these small particle. The Racor filtering system on the Duramax, as specified by GM, does not remove these particles! Many Duramax users have gone to the Cat 2 micron filter because they are available at every Cat Dealer. You will find a Cat Dealer in every small town that has a ranch or farm in the area.

The Duramax always had hardened injectors from day one. It is the Navistars that is used in the new ford 6.0 that did not use hardened injectors which led to many engine failures in their introducion year. Go to thedieselstop.com, a ford users forum, and check their archives to varify these facts.

Pahaska,

You will use the Toll/Hall Mode even with your present trailer. I use it when I'm not even pulling mine. I use it to slow down in the mountains and on flat stretches very similar to an exhaust brake. It is very comforting to be behind a dual gas fuel tanker going 35 miles an hour down a very long 8 percent grade without my foot being on the brake while pulling the 30 foot Airstream. Saves the brake pads on both the truck and the trailer.

They make a very nice CB antenna mount that is on the driver's side that matches the radio antenna mount on the passengers side. Go to the dieselpage.com and search for CB Mounts to find details and pictures. That is where I place my four foot Firestik Antenna.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Wow!

The tank was down about 1/3 and I was near a station with diesel, so I topped it up to get an idea of the mileage. To my surprise, it was 17.2 mpg for 141 miles of mostly city driving. I think this is great for an engine just starting to break in.

Today, I had the Rhino liner sprayed and a set of wheel-to-wheel chrome Weston bars installed. Maybe now my wife will be able to get into it!

I temporarily installed my hitch to measure ground to top of ball. It is about 2" too high in the lowest hole and I will probably have to get a bar with a larger drop.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by diesel
They make a very nice CB antenna mount that is on the driver's side that matches the radio antenna mount on the passengers side. Go to the dieselpage.com and search for CB Mounts to find details and pictures. That is where I place my four foot Firestik Antenna. [/B]
I tried to search at that location, but I couldn't get a hit on a CB mount. Can you give me a URL?
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-11-2003, 12:27 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Pahaska,

Most of the pictures that were available are now gone, but I did find one.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...370&uid=147085

There are plans available to build your own or you can order one factory made.

The Diesel Page site is down at the moment but I found the information on ordering the stainless steel cb bracket. It is the one I have. It will fit any new body style Silverado. They cost $25.00 including shipping as of July 30, 2003.

Jerry McKinley
103 Pine Ridge Dr.
Petal, MS 39465
Old 10-12-2003, 12:30 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Pahaska,

Here are the two threads from The Diesel Page:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/u...=001257#000002

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...c;f=5;t=000949

Hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Thanks, diesel

I was using the word "mount" in my search and I guess that is why I didn't get any hits. I emailed the fellow making the mounts to see whether he still has them. In the mean time, Google found some similar mounts from busibnesses on the net. One way or the other, I'll get it mounted.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Pahaska
Nice choice. Our Ford diesel is Silver Birch and has a International engine in it. Get yourself a PacBrake exhaust brake, it makes a world of differance with engine braking and it will make your brakes last much longer. Have fun!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Great initial mileage

Second fill up at about 1/2 tank down was 18.55 mpg. This was about 1/2 city and 1/2 Texas Hill Country with lots of ups, downs, and curves. I never got more than about 15 mpg with my 5.3 Silverado unloaded on that mix of driving.

First fill was 17.2, mostly city.

I did manage to get it stuck Saturday after one of our famous Texas cloudbursts with about 4 inches of rain fell in an hour. I was playing banjo for the Shrimp Fest at Canyon Lake and was parked out in a grass field. I almost made it out when a front wheel dropped into a hole and that was all she wrote. Had to get a 4wd with knobby tires to pull me out backward.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Stuck?

John, Does your's have 4X4 with the locking differential? Or was it just the stock tires? Not that I haven't been good and stuck even with a 4X4. Very happy to hear about the milage you're getting.
Ken
Old 10-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Re: Stuck?

Quote:
Originally posted by silverback
John, Does your's have 4X4 with the locking differential? Or was it just the stock tires? Not that I haven't been good and stuck even with a 4X4. Very happy to hear about the milage you're getting.
Ken
Mine is 2-wheel drive with stock tires. The trouble was not the tires; I was moving quite well until the front wheel found a soft spot. With the heavy diesel in front and 'grease" under foot, there was no way I could get out. It was difficult even walking in that mess; some fellow Texans on the forum can tell you what happens around here when we get that sort of rain. The locking differential couldn't help me in that situation.

The fellow who pulled me out plastered me with mud even though he was on far better ground that I was.

WBCCI #9632