Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #71
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
Looking to purchase either a 2013 Ford F 250 powerstroke or a GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax would appreciate any input. Current tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Vortec Max towing a 2010 30 ft Classic Limited. Looking for better fuel economy and safer stopping. Thanks for any input
Buy the one you like the most, or if you like them equally, the one you can make the best deal on. They're both excellent trucks. The Ford doesn't have a lot of years on the engine design yet, it's only been a couple of years since they told International to get lost. If that concerns you, make an extended warranty part of the negotiation.
__________________

__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #72
Rivet Master
 
jdalrymple's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
Looking to purchase either a 2013 Ford F 250 powerstroke or a GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax would appreciate any input. Current tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Vortec Max towing a 2010 30 ft Classic Limited. Looking for better fuel economy and safer stopping. Thanks for any input

We could not be happier with the ride and drive of our 2012 GMC Sierra/Denali. The Duramax/ Allison combo is a proven setup. And, the independent front suspension offers a great ride, even with four wheel drive.



Regards,

JD
__________________

__________________
Jeff & Cindy
'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #73
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Yep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
Looking to purchase either a 2013 Ford F 250 powerstroke or a GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax would appreciate any input. Current tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Vortec Max towing a 2010 30 ft Classic Limited. Looking for better fuel economy and safer stopping. Thanks for any input

Good choice...both.

Go for it!!


Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member
 
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 452
Every one I've seen is 4WD. Is there a reason for that other than most work trucks are 4WD?
__________________
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member
 
Pat Conway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 128
Our 2007 2wd Duramax has a low enough clearance for all parking garages encountered thus far. A seemingly insignificant advantage , but from visual comparison it looks like Ford 2500 may be a problem in this regard, but realize this is a non issue for many.
__________________
Sun City Center, FL
1988 25' Excella
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #76
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
Our 2007 2wd Duramax has a low enough clearance for all parking garages encountered thus far. A seemingly insignificant advantage , but from visual comparison it looks like Ford 2500 may be a problem in this regard, but realize this is a non issue for many.
For the new trucks, Sierra and Silverado crew-cab 2500s are 78.1" tall (2wd or 4wd) and F250 crew-cabs are 77.4" for 2wd, 79.8 for 4wd. Pretty close, but if you just barely make it with a 2wd Duramax the 4wd F250 might scrape. A garage with 7' clearance is 84", but of course poor garage design combined with a long wheelbase can shrink that at the base of ramps.
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #77
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,934
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Every one I've seen is 4WD. Is there a reason for that other than most work trucks are 4WD?
Pulling out of one site and climbing hill initially to get there, heavy rain, etc, I popped into 4wd and had more control. Sogginess really added to added pulling requirement. Glad I had 4wd.
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #78
New Member
 
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
We could not be happier with the ride and drive of our 2012 GMC Sierra/Denali. The Duramax/ Allison combo is a proven setup. And, the independent front suspension offers a great ride, even with four wheel drive.



Regards,

JD
Same truck here, and couldn't be happier, couldn't agree more
__________________
beachrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #79
BAB
Rivet Master
 
BAB's Avatar

 
2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,574
I am joining the 2500 club. While my Infinity QX56 tows my trailer fine and has been awesome for the 16,000 miles I've been in tow mode, it just doesn't have enough interior space for the extra stuff, so I've ordered a 2014 RAM 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with the Cummins. My trip plans include a coast-to-coast through the Rockies along with a potential Alaska trip in the next year or so. The room for the two Honda's and the other gear will be awesome. Oh, and with 800 ft lbs of torque, along with engine braking, I can't imagine any issues in the mountains -- up or down!
__________________
_________________
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
JFScheck's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,474
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
so I've ordered a 2014 RAM 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with the Cummins.
I have the newly redesigned 2013 2500 4x4 Mega Crew with Cummins - luv it!

Wait, didn't I already say this in said thread?
__________________
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2015 Roadtrek CS Adventurous XL
2015 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 XL Chassis with Mercedes BlueTec V6 Diesel
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
In aviation, as in tow vehicles:
"In Thrust We Trust"
__________________
Dave

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Patrick, in the latest JD Power Survey, GMC topped everyone. Quite a turn around.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #83
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
There can be a slight downside to GMC vs. Chevrolet. We have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 that we bought new. Back in 2006 while it was still under bumper to bumper warranty warranty, we had a slight problem and brought it into a Chevrolet dealer in a small town in upstate New York. They told us that they would be glad to fix the problem, but that we would have to pay for it because they were not a GMC dealer. Fortunately, it was something that could wait until we found a GMC dealer.

We travel extensively to out of the way places where Chevrolet and Ford dealer are about it. Accordingly, when we bought a new tow vehicle in 2011, we bought the Chevrolet version. Since the Chevrolet and GMC are virtually identical vehicles, we wanted the one with the larger dealer network.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member
 
drunkensloth's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
There can be a slight downside to GMC vs. Chevrolet. We have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 that we bought new. Back in 2006 while it was still under bumper to bumper warranty warranty, we had a slight problem and brought it into a Chevrolet dealer in a small town in upstate New York. They told us that they would be glad to fix the problem, but that we would have to pay for it because they were not a GMC dealer. Fortunately, it was something that could wait until we found a GMC dealer.

We travel extensively to out of the way places where Chevrolet and Ford dealer are about it. Accordingly, when we bought a new tow vehicle in 2011, we bought the Chevrolet version. Since the Chevrolet and GMC are virtually identical vehicles, we wanted the one with the larger dealer network.

Brian
That was the case back then and a huge pain for dealers and a big inconvenience for customers. Unless it was a special case and the district rep had to approve it prior. But it's No longer an issue since gm filed bankruptcy and dumped Saturn and Pontiac. Any gm dealer should be able to do warranty work. As far as I know the only exception is when you get into the medium duty topkicks anything 4500 and bigger
__________________

__________________
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.