Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Driving a Toyota? Watch this

View Today's Top Videos on Comcast.net | Featured Videos| Popular Videos | Comcast.net
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
If this happens to you, I'd recommend first turning off the ignition, and then get on the brakes. If turning off the ignition fails, shift to neutral and then get on the brakes. If that fails shift to park or reverse to destroy the transmission, then get on the brakes. If that fails say your prayers and try not to take anyone else out with you. If you have time to dial 911, you are not taking action quickly enough. 911 is not going to help you.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Very scary video and news indeed. My aunt was in a serious accident years ago. Hers involved a stuck accelerator pedal on a Cutlass 442 Oldsmobile. Her husband was to blame. He had left the oil cap off and it lodged in the linkage.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
If this happens to you, I'd recommend first turning off the ignition, and then get on the brakes. If turning off the ignition fails, shift to neutral and then get on the brakes. If that fails shift to park or reverse to destroy the transmission, then get on the brakes. If that fails say your prayers and try not to take anyone else out with you. If you have time to dial 911, you are not taking action quickly enough. 911 is not going to help you.
NHTSA recommends shifting to 'N' b4 shutting off ignition (as you lose power steering/brakes)
I agree on the calling 911 thing... <yikes>
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Do not turn of the ignition first if you have a key/turn type switch....this will lock steering wheel.

First shift car into neutral , apply brakes in safe location and turn engine off.

oh yea, put down the cell phone.

Does anyone think this "Runaway Prius" was going 90 mph when it crashed? Held up well!

I drive two Toyotas.....Sounds like driver error to me. Even if this problem is "Real"
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Yeah, probably better to shift to Neutral first. You will still have brakes and steering if you kill the engine you just wont have power assist (brakes you probably will, till you use up all the vaccuum).
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post

I drive two Toyotas.....
I'd like to see that!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
I'd like to see that!
At different times

My Tundra had been stalling out at low RPM which became kind of dangerous especially with the trailer in tow. Traffic circles where the most fun. The brakes still worked with the engine off but I would have to shift into neutral while still moving and restart motor.

Toyota said it was a $2K repair as the entire throttle body housing had to be replaced to also replace the throttle body motor. I Drove it way to long like this then tryed a Throttle body cleaning product which fixed the low idle stalling problem. $4.00

The point being....I forget...but also one can shift, brake and restart the vehicle while driving but it is preferred to fix the problem first.

I have a friend in the car repair business and he told me of clients bringing their cars in complaining about loss of power and not being able to accelerate. Many of these cars had three and four floor mats stacked on top of the originals.

The gas pedal could not be pushed down.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Accident waiting to happen

Holy c#%p!

I would never own one of those death traps.

I can't imagine how those Folks feel, and to have Toyota not accept responsibility is outrageous. To think they tried to bury that defect when they first became aware of it.
Toyota has a history of non-disclosure; the infamous "sludge" (non) recall, the frame rot (non) recall on their "trucks", and now malfunctions of wireless throttle. At least the sludge issue was not responsible for any deaths, not sure if anyone was killed due to the rear frame rot/corrosion problem. It looks like finally the consumer has had enough and has sparked a revolt.
I read an article recently about their incremental loss of quality in recent years due to over production and how it is likely to reduce Toyota to a #3 or #4 sales position world-wide in a few short years.
When people start getting killed due to poor quality control and inferior product, it is likely this pace will accelerate. No pun intended.

Our prayers go out to those Families affected.

Bill
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
At different times
sorry... couldn't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
When people start getting killed due to poor quality control and inferior product, it is likely this pace will accelerate. No pun intended.

Amen to that Bro.

AFAIC, dollars to donuts this has happened to WAY more people than whats being reported- most probably did shift to 'N', averting a catastrophic event... then quietly took in 4 service, where dealer is more than happy 2 quietly fix... coincidence that toyo's profits took a nose dive recently?? Covering dealer work adds up in a hurry...

<flame suit on>

IME almost every foreign-make owner I've ever met are 'fanboys' 4 their ride, and they'd swear by their foreign-make to their dying breath.. even in the event of a MAJOR quality/design problem...

Me? I own a heavy-chevy, and I don't tiptoe around its problems if asked (actually, I just blame the UNIONS... <smirk>)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Quote:
Do not turn of the ignition first if you have a key/turn type switch....this will lock steering wheel.
I don't think you will lock the steering wheel by turning off the switch. On all the modern vehicles I've driven the transmission must be in "Park" for the steering to lock.

Gene
Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Holy c#%p!

I would never own one of those death traps.

I can't imagine how those Folks feel, and to have Toyota not accept responsibility is outrageous. To think they tried to bury that defect when they first became aware of it.
Toyota has a history of non-disclosure; the infamous "sludge" (non) recall, the frame rot (non) recall on their "trucks", and now malfunctions of wireless throttle. At least the sludge issue was not responsible for any deaths, not sure if anyone was killed due to the rear frame rot/corrosion problem. It looks like finally the consumer has had enough and has sparked a revolt.
I read an article recently about their incremental loss of quality in recent years due to over production and how it is likely to reduce Toyota to a #3 or #4 sales position world-wide in a few short years.

Bill
Looks like another "I hate Toyota Club" is lighting the village torches. Bolt your doors Camry soccer Mom, they are coming for us!

The sludge problem was disproven, I recall.....no pun intended.

The frame rot is true and Toyota bought back at 1.5 time high book value all problem trucks. They also are now replacing entire frames on trucks free of charge right now. Many happy Toyota truck owners.

Mal-functioning throttles on cars mentioned in theses stories? Looks like the Toyota Haters have already made up their minds. But it has not been proven yet. Don't worry, the Lawyers are working on it. Where is Ralph Nader now? I miss the Corvair. Not the Pinto so much.

Full disclosure:
I have owned
Fords/Chevys/IH/Austin Healy/Triumph/BMW/Honda/Isuzu(with a Chevy label) Jeep/ VW and a few Toyotas
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
this is my idea of a village mob.... A Witch! - Monty Python & the Holy Grail Video
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
_

. , .
the same crack investigative team is trying to sort out what happened here...

i've posted this video annually now for several years.

is always seems at least ONE thread appears, where it is apropos...

i see a lot of mopar bits in use too...

gentlemen start yer engines (all makes and models welcome) !

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
quality entertainment.. better than a amateur tractor pull

I heard a spectator say "only in Michigan..."
why does that not surprise me?

and the CHEVY won...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
"IME almost every foreign-make owner I've ever met are 'fanboys' 4 their ride, and they'd swear by their foreign-make to their dying breath.. even in the event of a MAJOR quality/design problem..."
Sigh.

Brand loyalty is most often created by having a positive experience. If you buy Brand "X" and it works well, you are more inclined to buy Brand "X" again. If you have a terrible experience with Brand "X," that reduces the odds of a repeat purchase.

A detailed analysis of how U.S. auto makers went from 95 percent market share to under 50 percent market share is detailed in this Federal Reserve report. Toyota became the largest auto maker in the world--surpassing GM in 2008--because of the individual, independent buying decisions of millions of consumers.

Here's the reality. Toyota became the largest auto maker on the planet because they build more cars that people want to buy. Now, if the quality of Toyota vehicles take a nose dive, they will face exactly the same situation as the "Big Three" in Detroit... they will lose market share, that is if some other company is building and selling a better option.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
quality entertainment..

and the CHEVY won...
but what brand trailer?

and there might be a blue oval powering that bow tie...

but NO 'lectric mules 4 sure...

yet.

rumor is there's a grudge 8 rematch scheduled in the some eastern UPnose burb...

for the battery set and coutre' crowd and their superior rides..

only one problem so far with rounding up sponsors...

getting the BIG jars of mustard for the DOGS...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Anybody remember the Audi 5000 problem back in the '80's? I think that turned out to be something like "unexpected acceleration" due to a bad computer chip. Sounds familiar.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
... I think that turned out to be something like "unexpected acceleration"...
it ACTUALLY turned out to be NOTHING related 2 the vehicle.

but alas the final reports seldom are tied to the headliners on sixOH! minutes.

but we did get a great new phrase and a much desired OPTION on 4ring cars as a result...

and THAT is called UNINTENDED ACCELERATION.

i've had it added to a dozen audis so far.

cheers
2air'

another couple of videos of trayla racin'...

and there APPEARS 2b an A/Stream in this vid...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Sigh.

Brand loyalty is most often created by having a positive experience. If you buy Brand "X" and it works well, you are more inclined to buy Brand "X" again. If you have a terrible experience with Brand "X," that reduces the odds of a repeat purchase.

A detailed analysis of how U.S. auto makers went from 95 percent market share to under 50 percent market share is detailed in this Federal Reserve report. Toyota became the largest auto maker in the world--surpassing GM in 2008--because of the individual, independent buying decisions of millions of consumers.

Here's the reality. Toyota became the largest auto maker on the planet because they build more cars that people want to buy. Now, if the quality of Toyota vehicles take a nose dive, they will face exactly the same situation as the "Big Three" in Detroit... they will lose market share, that is if some other company is building and selling a better option.
That's a nice story. Sounds good to the typical American "I-keep-hearing-how-awesome-Toyota-quality-is" lemming with a disposition for self-loathing from their foreign car purchase.

Millions of consumers began buying Japanese made autos because the Japanese manufacturers gave them away at a loss. Massive PR efforts, slick advertising campaigns, and the 'statist' media you most likely depend on for newz was also key in Toyo's increase in market share.

There's plenty of reports that expose foreign manufacturers quality being no better than domestic's- and in some cases worse.. but, sigh, somehow these lemmings, er.. consumers keep having 'positive' experiences with Toyota's.

But I'm not worried. I figure the Obama administration will require Toyo to take stimulus money, force Watanabe to resign, have a "money for malfunctioning" cars program- and we'll all be good.