Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
_

. , .
thenk i was jestin'

bout the mustard runs?

no.

cuze even the brits

get their kicks

taking the caravans

to the track.

but they DO call it a...

gran prix...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
The worst vehicle I ever owned was a early 90's Toyota T100 truck.
Many electronic and battery problems. Traded about 4 years later for
a concrete driveway ( trade value approx. $ 10,000.00 ). The new
owner contacted me later and asked me about the engine recalls.
I had no knowledge of any recalls. Toyota failed to reach me even with no address or phone # changes and I was even letting Toyota do all
recommended service. They new how to reach me but chose not to...
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I've owned cars ranging from a Hyundai Excel to an Audi A4, a BMW convertible, a vintage Jeep, new Pontiac Firebird and Chevy Tahoe. I've bought new, used and one that was older than me. And I've been happy for the most part with all those cars. They really shined in some areas, and were lacking in others -- but so far nothing has left me stranded on the side of the road. And that includes our two latest: an '05 Prius and '08 Highlander Hybrid. Both have been wonderful, well-built cars.

And since there's about as high a chance that an F-150 was built in Mexico, and a Honda Accord was assembled in the middle of Ohio... I'm not going to waste time waving flags or picking countries when it's obvious that very few of us really know which dollars are supporting the economy of which country.

If supporting the U.S. economy in one's vehicle purchase is such a critical factor, one ought to go buy a quarter horse and an Amish-built buggy. Now that's guaranteed 100% American built.

As for me, I'll continue to base all big purchases on reputation, consumer reviews, a history of customer service, first-person recommendations, my perceived value of features and personal taste. This method hasn't let me down so far!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i can't wait for the electronic steering problems!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #25
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I'm just glad that here in Canada we are able to base our buying on quality and value rather than some misquided patriotic B.S..

Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
But Kim, in Canada you are not immune from the all-powerful "statist media." They are so incredibly effective that you really want to trade in your current truck for a 1975 Pontiac Acadian (aka the Canadian Chevette). With the "rally package," you could probably tow your 28' Classic. You just don't realize it yet... probably the cold slowing the synapses.

You see, Kim, we Americans were too stupid to recognize well-built classic cars like the Ford Pinto, the AMC Gremlin and AMC Pacer, the Chevy Vega and (one of my personal favorites) the Ford Maverick. We failed to appreciate the pinnacle of automotive engineering embodied in the Chevy Citation or the AMC Eagle Wagon. When President Obama called the the Ford Granada "the worst car Detroit ever built," he probably forgot to add, "but it was still better than anything not made in the good ol' U.S. of A."

C'mon, Kim, are you going to believe FCJoe or your lying eyes?
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #27
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks hampstead38!Great reply.This thread needed some humour.
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

cork , munster
Hi lads, how ya doing
If only Python was in charge
Pete
irshmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan

it was the 'hybrid' technology they were selling +20 years ago.. how'd that 46 MPG work out for ya?

L O L
Old 11-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know this is down the thread but Ford had a recall on 7.3 Harvester Engines last yr,the problem with them stalling or engine shut down at low RPM's. The Cam POSITION SENSOR went bad. I did experience the shut down before Ford did the recall. Fortunately it was always when stopping at a red lite or in a parking lot. I do believe that there had been some high speed shutdowns and Ford was worried about possible lawsuits such as those now brought against TOYOTA. Fortunately I didnt have an accident and I was able to get it taking care of at no cost to me.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #31
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Late to this one. But for the California patrolman crash, here's my understanding
1) the throttle pedal was stuck (or there was a different issue with the same result).
2) the car was a loaner. The PRNDL had a detent for manu-matic shifting, and the N mark was very close to the "+" mark on the shift lever
3) the car did not have a keyswitch, but a push button. The push button needed to be held down for three seconds before shutting down a running engine. This function may not have been in the operators manual. Either way, it is a very serious thing from a controls perspective to shut down an engine when there are conflicting indications.
4) I thought the passenger was doing the phoning?

On a related note, a consumer magazine checked two German cars with electronic throttles as well as an HHR. The German cars (a VW and BMW) closed the throttle when both the throttle and brake were applied. The Toy and HHR behaved like their analog predecessors. Also, IIRC, both the German cars shut the engine off (with a non-zero vehicle speed) if the on/off button was jabbed three times in quick succession.

I do not know how GM's push button start works, but I'll bet from now on EVERY on/off switched car will have prominent warnings and a "Jab-panic" mode to act as a kill switch.

Of course, I might be responding to something entirely different, in which case I beg an apology.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote