Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Dodge trans

Anyone else have an issue with transmissions in Dodge trucks. My boss has an '06 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 with a 5.7L Hemi in it. Think I smoked the trans Friday. Wasn't running it to hard. We were pulling out scrap cars with it. Only got to number 4, a 62 Caddy limo. I was using 4 low had trans in second gear. Stopped the truck, backed up to get the strap off the back. When we got back in the truck we had no gears. Forward or reverse. Trans didn't slip or anything before giving out.
Bad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The transfer case may not be in gear.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
What Terry said,

.....if it's like most other late model 4wd's with electronically controlled hub's and transfer case you may be stuck in neutral.

You've checked fluid right?..... No stinkie no leakie?

Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
2nd gear

Why were you using second gear?
My understanding is that when you use second gear your transmission, starts in second gear stays in second gear all the time.
If you use the drive position the transmission starts in first gear then knows when it should shift.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
Why were you using second gear?
My understanding is that when you use second gear your transmission, starts in second gear stays in second gear all the time.
If you use the drive position the transmission starts in first gear then knows when it should shift.
Hickory
Modern automatics start in first gear, and putting them in second manually juzt keeps them from upshifting.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The transfer case may not be in gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What Terry said,

.....if it's like most other late model 4wd's with electronically controlled hub's and transfer case you may be stuck in neutral.

You've checked fluid right?..... No stinkie no leakie?

Bob
T-case was in gear. Still had park. And the fluid is full and doesn't even smell burnt. Talk to my boss over weekend and the trans started working again but doesn't feel right to him. I just surprised that it went out that quick with out any warning.
Anyone ever have a trans go that quick. Only other time I have the trans pump broke the ears off.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The torque converter may be the culprit, started working after cool down but
now doesn't "feel right". Any whining noise @ idle in gear?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The torque converter may be the culprit, started working after cool down but
now doesn't "feel right". Any whining noise @ idle in gear?
I haven't seen the truck since Friday, I work tomorrow and will have to look at it. When I talk to him this weekend he didn't mention any noise but I'll try to listen for it. It has flowmasters on it so any noise might be hidden by the exhaust.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Modern automatics start in first gear, and putting them in second manually juzt keeps them from upshifting.
This is dependent on the vehicle and the manufacturer. Lots of modern automatics in low-load situations start off in 2nd when you have the selector in Drive, in fact. I don't know specifically what the software makes a Dodge truck automatic do, but the reason lots of manufacturers program their autos to roll off in 2nd in light-load situations is to achieve better fuel economy.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
This is dependent on the vehicle and the manufacturer. Lots of modern automatics in low-load situations start off in 2nd when you have the selector in Drive, in fact. I don't know specifically what the software makes a Dodge truck automatic do, but the reason lots of manufacturers program their autos to roll off in 2nd in light-load situations is to achieve better fuel economy.
My Ram 1500 starts off in first gear, no matter what forward gear I put the selector in.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Quote:
My Ram 1500 starts off in first gear, no matter what forward gear I put the selector in.
Most trucks in 4 low will start in second gear. This is more because of gearing being so low. My reason for putting the shifter in second is to keep it in second gear. Its also what I do when I enter my truck in truck pulls. When the trans shifts into 3rd gear while in 4 low you lose a lot of pulling power, and it can over heat the trans.

Any way this Dodge has been fine all week now. We did pull the trans pan and put a new filter in it and look for metal shavings of anything other sign of problem. We are starting to think the trans control module shut the trans down for getting to hot.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Modern transmissions are controlled electronically. Could be a bad connection in the wiring someplace.

If the transmission is on the fritz, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If this fixes the problem temporarily, you have a bad connection or faulty control computer, probably a bad connection.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Dodge automatic transmissions are notorious. Go to www.suncoastconverters.com and get their upgrade fix, especially the Dodge diesels.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Another great transmission builder for dodge diesels is Goerend Transmission Incorporated - St. Lucas, Iowa. I may have to put a suncoast transmission in if my Dodge 2005 2500 diesel transmission goes since I live in the same town suncoast is in.

112,000 miles on my 48RE Dodge transmission and haven't had an issue with it so far. Changed the fluid and filter every 30k miles and had the bands adjusted every other fluid change. If you leave the engine stock these transmissions aren't too bad.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote