Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401 View Post
Not everyone has a short commute. Mine's 30 miles one way.

I broke my crystal ball last week so, I'm not going to bother with forecasting the future relative costs of diesel vs. gas. At today's gas and diesel prices, the diesel would have to get 18.5 combined to be cost equivalent to a gasser getting 17 combined. I'm betting it will beat that by more than enough to cover DEF.

s
There will always be people who don't like for what ever reasons a good diesel engine. My commute is about 15 miles highway. Tow my 32' about 4 or 5 times a year within the county. Why did I get a diesel? Best truck I've every had! Got mine when gas was more, now it's cheaper then diesel. Still the best truck I've ever had. Oil change about $50 at the dealer. My diesel will out last any gas engine out there with normal maintenance and general TLC. The best truck anyone could buy who is serious about a long term, strong tow vehicle. DODGE. Lol. No wine needed. .

RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Heh... well, I don't need to blame my interest in the V6 turbodiesel Ram on the wine, just the fact that I couldn't quite figure out what ThePill was saying, and in fact attributed almost the opposite meaning.

I figure the Ram has a good shot at matching the Grand Cherokee's towing mileage, since the governing factor there will be frontal area. I like having the truck bed for dirty and/or smelly cargo, and have a perfectly good wagon (that's hopeless as a TV) so for now I look to half-tons as my first choice in TVs.

If Ram can put together a configuration with payload competitive with my dream truck, they'll be in the running for my business.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There is still a lot of wariness by my company over how big the desirability of diesels is in the US. Remember, we towing people are a subset of the population and percentage-wise, are much more diesel oriented than the general public.....and they are very expensive to produce. There was a USA Today article on Wednesday (I think it was Wed.) that spoke to the public appetite.

GM just announced the diesel Chevy Cruze last week...but it will be limited numbers at first...because the fear is that the market for small diesel cars is just about the same size as the Jetta sales numbers. It'll be interesting to watch these new announcements. GM's CEO has been quoted lately that "we haven't ruled out a diesel for the light duty trucks". Not sure what that means.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Heh... well, I don't need to blame my interest in the V6 turbodiesel Ram on the wine, just the fact that I couldn't quite figure out what ThePill was saying, and in fact attributed almost the opposite meaning.

I figure the Ram has a good shot at matching the Grand Cherokee's towing mileage, since the governing factor there will be frontal area. I like having the truck bed for dirty and/or smelly cargo, and have a perfectly good wagon (that's hopeless as a TV) so for now I look to half-tons as my first choice in TVs.

If Ram can put together a configuration with payload competitive with my dream truck, they'll be in the running for my business.

Basically what I am saying,,,Wine man.... Is dont just jump in with both feet before buying a diesel. It a differant animal. There are tons of things to consider,..So I brought some of them up. I have owned and drove diesels for over 13 years. I drive a lot. No office no 9-5...driving for a living in a way. Plus I have towed OVER 20,000 miles in less than 3 years. Diesel I NEED. Others mught want to explore and bite off more than they can chew. My added diesel to my truck was 7,000 dollar upgrade. Dont know what the dodge will be.

Either way,....if you make small trips, not good, the diesel likes to be worked and worked hard,...it need to get up to optimal temps.

When I purchased my First diesel in 1999, diesel was .88 cents a gallon. Plus I was averaging 100,000 miles in two years. The longevity of a gasser and resale would have killed me. So diesel was the choice. NOW, diesel is quite a bit higher and I try to not drive as much, a.k.a. motorcycle..I do worry about diesel failure due to EGR's, again because diesels are made to WORK.

On oil changes, on my 6.7 there are oil changes over 100.00. 14 QTS oil. Plus the filter.

Another side note, on any diesel, when you buy fuel keep your receipts...water in fuel could cost you upwards to 12,000 dollars for a fuel system replacement. It is a catastrophic failure. TIP: just buy from a high volume station and don't ever get fuel while the tanker is filling up the tanks. I also add a Fuel additive a cetain booster, just in case I do get bad diesel...Doesnt hurt to be safe. Getting stranded sucks.Its just added insurance.
Another Necessity I repeat a Necessity is fuel filter replacements...Do it every 20,000 miles religously. There are two of them...close to 130.00,..unless you do it yourself of course.

other things to consider is tire wear, thos diesel engines weigh a lot to hold all of that compression.....you will go through rubber faster.

Hopefully I made myself more clear.

Stream Safe,

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Shane, I thought you moved to Spokane . . hows the cold weather starts?

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags