Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
Hey Rednax -

Thanks for the heads up on the brake controller. Looks like the one in the truck is junk. Guess the RV shop will be getting a little more of my money!

Oh well, I'm doing my part to help the economy!
1civilengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
4WD raises op costs unnecessarily.............................

That may be the case if you live in south Texas, However if you live where it snows much, the 4WD is pretty much necessary, unless you really like staying home.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Nellysford , Virginia
Don - My son has a '63 Ford Thunderbird that has been his project car for years. Engine is rebuilt (but out of the car), and it need a tranny and interior work. I told my wife that we should buy it from him, have it finished at a shop, and use that as our TV (the sucker probably weights around 5000 lbs!). It would be a cool match for the looks of our AS! I thought it was a fun idea. My wife gave me a look that would freeze boiling water!
I guess it would be a bit intimidating towing something that towered over your TV!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That may be the case if you live in south Texas, However if you live where it snows much, the 4WD is pretty much necessary, unless you really like staying home.

Ken
X2....

Plus, if you've ever been stuck with your AS.....wet grass will do it.

4WD raises op costs unnecessarily.............................
Sorry Red, not up here...you'd have a hard time convincing Buffalo's 4wd Cowboys that it's not a necessary cost.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buffalo-covered-in-snow.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	156652  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Now just how did your grandfathers get around without 4WD? Because somehow they did.

And how is it I can find commercial operators of pickups -- 24/7/365 -- operating in northern Canada without it today? Out onto unpaved oilfield lease roads. Many private individuals trucks are 4WD down here . . but the savvy operators dropped that years ago. Dollars matter, not ego.

No, it's an expensive luxury for an RV'er. Not at all necessary. With a pickup being an optional TV for any A/S ever made that means a better choice can be made when considering solo as well as towing miles.

There's an intersection where the numbers aren't being considered. We can make the argument that an A/S is a cheaper TT than a series of throwaway SOB's and the same approach works with the TV.

You may want it, but "to need" it is another thing altogether.

If you're towing that A/S on snow and ice, then let us know about it; what set of chains to buy for the trailer that have adequate wheelwell clearance would be a good bookmark. I'll "buy" your "needs it" argument then.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
4WD has gotten me out of trouble that I wouldn't have gotten into if I didn't have it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't tow in the snow....but 4WD has gotten me out of sandy dune/beach sites, wet grass and muddy sites quite a few times. 2WD with a LOCKER, might have.....2WD with limited slip or an open diff...would not have.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"Now just how did your grandfathers get around without 4WD? Because somehow they did."

More than likely they knew their limitations....

Boundaries, we all have them, some more than others.

"see more, do more, live more."

Bob
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Now just how did your grandfathers get around without 4WD? Because somehow they did.

.................................................. ............................

I am not going to respond to that question. The answer is obvious and it doesn't bear on the discussion at hand.

As far as the rest of your points, you are missing one important point. Most people buy a TV vehicle with the idea of being able to also use it for daily driving. If you have a 4WD vehicle in snowy country, your life is much more convenient. Yes, many people don't and they get by. However they must plan their travel accordingly. I would not intentionally tow in snow and ice. However when living in or near the mountain west, it can happen unexpectedly. I prefer to have the peace of mind of knowing I have the 4WD available. There have been many instances when the 4WD has come in handy while towing, mostly while maneuvering at slow speed on slippery surfaces.

Having a TT and a TV in the first place is optional, so of course 4WD is optional.

This thread however is not about the pros or cons of 4WD. For that reason, this is my last post on the subject.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also use the low set EVERY time I remove the AS from storage. There is a steep uphill gravel drive just off the concrete pad. 2WD would just dig ruts and 4HI spins the wheels a bit. 4LO is just right with no strain on the drive train.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I also use the low set EVERY time I remove the AS from storage. There is a steep uphill gravel drive just off the concrete pad. 2WD would just dig ruts and 4HI spins the wheels a bit. 4LO is just right with no strain on the drive train.
Since the entrance road to our subdivision is at a 22% (yes - that's "twenty-two") grade, is on the north side in the shade, and stay wet for a day after it rains, I think I'll be using the same approach whenever I bring our baby back home!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dodge Ram Tow Vehicle

Greetings 1civilengr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1civilengr View Post
Don - My son has a '63 Ford Thunderbird that has been his project car for years. Engine is rebuilt (but out of the car), and it need a tranny and interior work. I told my wife that we should buy it from him, have it finished at a shop, and use that as our TV (the sucker probably weights around 5000 lbs!). It would be a cool match for the looks of our AS! I thought it was a fun idea. My wife gave me a look that would freeze boiling water!
I guess it would be a bit intimidating towing something that towered over your TV!
It isn't as strange as you might think, but I must admit that I never towed with a truck-based vehicle until 1995. Prior to 1995, I always towed with a car and I still often tow with my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible. It can be a little intimidating the first time you put the top down and tow down a busy highway, but the sensation passes quikly and it becomes a "normal" exprience. When my coaches were new, the full-size family sedan with a big block V8 motor were the tow vehicles of choice. The one problem that you might run into trying to tow your late model Airstream with the Thunderbird is the gross weight of the coach which is much heavier than typical Vintage coach of the same size.

The above is a photo of my 1975 Cadillac Convertible and Overlander. The Eldorad isn't the best tow vehicle due to its front wheel drive but it does well under most conditions with the Overlander and has taken the Minuet through some very high passes in the Rocky Mountains as we traveled to and from the WBCCI International Rally in Wyoming in 2008.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
tie rod recall on the '06

You may want to have a dealer run your vin to see if the new tie-rod end has been installed per a recent recall for the '06's.

awesome info has been provided in this thread. my experience with the '06 has been spot on with what's been discussed here. not sure what kind of maintenance records came with your purchase but changing the tranny fluid and filter is something that should be done every 30-50k miles. don't forget the transfer case as well. you should look into the front and rear differential fluid schedule as well.

my number 4 fuel line (between common rail and injector) went at 100k. was able to install the part myself at the Pocono 500 rally a couple of summers ago. also the driver side front wheel bearing went at 125k. the front u-joints both went at about 115k. my ball joints currently need replacing and will get to that as soon as the truck is finally paid off in june. and based on what i've read here i am overdue for a valve tuning and drive shaft balance.

best of luck with the truck-trailer combo. you have many of good times ahead of you.