Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I can't see where either truck mentioned wouldn't tow the trailer that you currently own. Your trailer isn't that heavy for either one of these gas motors. As long as both trucks have a factory tow package and I would key into the axle ratio and compare them side by side.
I would also size up how much you will be towing. If just occasionally then the gas motor will be fine. If your spending lot's of time in the mountains then consider the expensive diesel option.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Ecotrailer,

Since you asked! If you are going to tow a lot get the diesel, the Dodge/Cummins with the exhaust brake. You will never lack for power and if you take care of the truck it will last you a loooong time. Many have gone over 400,000 miles and a few over one million miles with the engine yet to be taken apart.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Our 2007.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9L also gets 16 mpg towing, 20 highway not towing. The machine is amazing. The newer 2008+ 6.7L Dodge Cummins do not do as well with mileage due to the added emissions controls. It doesn't make sense. How are added emissions controls better for the environment when it causes you to burn substantially more fuel, getting less mpg? It seems like a wash.

I'm glad we bought used (after our mechanic's full inspection) to get the 5.9L and not the 6.7L.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I just traded an '07 1/2 ton GMC pickup (5.3L gas) for an '08 3/4 ton GMC Duramax Diesel 4X4.
This stuipid thing gets WORSE fuel mileage than my 1/2 ton gas truck did.

So, let's see now.....the fuel is about 20 cents a gallon more expensive, and it gets worse mileage????
I compared fuel costs/mileage on mine with another man who had the exact same truck as me, but with the gas motor. With miles divided out the same between solo, towing plus highway/city, I found that so long as diesel was no more than 50-cents above regular gasoline in price that the fuel costs were identical.

The advantage was that the diesel will still have a strong motor above 200,000 miles when it is reasonable to expect that the gasser does not, no matter how good the maintenance. (Solo, fine, but towing becomes harder and harder and the rate of wear increases).

Since my CTD gets significantly better mileage than the gasser it made for an interesting comparison. Solo there is no comparison as I do not fall below 24 mpg at 60 mph (with highs of 27); numbers comparable to other owners with trucks of the same spec.

Auto trans, 4WD, offroad tires, etc, are all economy killers. The only time I've been below 14 mpg was towing the Silver Streak on a busy, narrow two-lane with stop after stop after stop. Had I finished the trailer I believe that 16-mpg was possible with that 34-footer.

The solution to a Duramax (or Powerstroke) is simple: A turbocharged Cummins, preferably the 305HP/555TQ motor available late 2003 and early 2004. 2WD and six speed is an unpopular combination, so the prices were low. I paid 3/8 the price of new on a three year old truck.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
rio rancho , New Mexico
Question

my 2wd 6.7 went back to dodge as a lemon.
in the shop every 3 months for exhaust clean out.
dodge gave me all my $ back +.
exhaust system was the problem.
otherwise truck was great.
think 5.9 is the answer.
all the dodge mechanics had gm diesels? chevy/gmc.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I compared fuel costs/mileage on mine with another man who had the exact same truck as me, but with the gas motor. With miles divided out the same between solo, towing plus highway/city, I found that so long as diesel was no more than 50-cents above regular gasoline in price that the fuel costs were identical.

The advantage was that the diesel will still have a strong motor above 200,000 miles when it is reasonable to expect that the gasser does not, no matter how good the maintenance. (Solo, fine, but towing becomes harder and harder and the rate of wear increases).

Since my CTD gets significantly better mileage than the gasser it made for an interesting comparison. Solo there is no comparison as I do not fall below 24 mpg at 60 mph (with highs of 27); numbers comparable to other owners with trucks of the same spec.

Auto trans, 4WD, offroad tires, etc, are all economy killers. The only time I've been below 14 mpg was towing the Silver Streak on a busy, narrow two-lane with stop after stop after stop. Had I finished the trailer I believe that 16-mpg was possible with that 34-footer.

The solution to a Duramax (or Powerstroke) is simple: A turbocharged Cummins, preferably the 305HP/555TQ motor available late 2003 and early 2004. 2WD and six speed is an unpopular combination, so the prices were low. I paid 3/8 the price of new on a three year old truck.
Rednax,

The problem is not one with the Duramax, but with ALL of the newer Diesels. They just don't get the mileage your older truck does now that they have the emission controls they do and the exhaust particulate filter that they have.

The newer Dodges are no better.

The fact is that my '07 gasser got better fuel mileage than my now '08 Diesel. But, at least the fuel is a lot more expensive.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Steve,

Pulling a little trailer like that doesn't allow the diesel to show it's advantage. You don't need the torque.

You should repeat the test with a 34 footer loaded to the gills. The half ton would be lucky to move it, whereas the diesel would still get 13mpg.

But, if you're not pulling a big load, the diesel's many advantages are just not needed. My buddy has a Ram Hemi with the cylinder deact and he gets 24mpg with it. My diesel has never gotten that much....21 is the best I've ever gotten, and I can barely scratch 20 with the new fuel.

My Ram is the 04 1/2, 305hp with 555 ft-lbs. I've had no problems with it at all. Just turn the key and drive. On dry pavement, with the 34 footer hitched up, if I hit it too hard, I'll light the tires up. OK, I could chip it and do all kinds of stuff...but if I can light them up now, what would 300 more hp do? I do want to put a Banks PowerPack on it after the warranty expires. It's nothing to pull 500hp and 800 ft-lbs out of one of these. That's a very mild mod build. But, it does really well now.

But if I weren't towing a big trailer, I'd get a Hemi half ton. Smaller, lighter, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, easier to get fuel, etc. But I do tow a big trailer, and I'm keeping my Cummins!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Boy, am I glad that I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 2WD. Hard combination to find since most of the trucks are 4WD. The 2006 was the last of the good mileage diesels and I know a few people who have been trying to find a nice 2006 for sale. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Steve,

Pulling a little trailer like that doesn't allow the diesel to show it's advantage. You don't need the torque.

You should repeat the test with a 34 footer loaded to the gills. The half ton would be lucky to move it, whereas the diesel would still get 13mpg.

But, if you're not pulling a big load, the diesel's many advantages are just not needed. My buddy has a Ram Hemi with the cylinder deact and he gets 24mpg with it. My diesel has never gotten that much....21 is the best I've ever gotten, and I can barely scratch 20 with the new fuel.

My Ram is the 04 1/2, 305hp with 555 ft-lbs. I've had no problems with it at all. Just turn the key and drive. On dry pavement, with the 34 footer hitched up, if I hit it too hard, I'll light the tires up. OK, I could chip it and do all kinds of stuff...but if I can light them up now, what would 300 more hp do? I do want to put a Banks PowerPack on it after the warranty expires. It's nothing to pull 500hp and 800 ft-lbs out of one of these. That's a very mild mod build. But, it does really well now.

But if I weren't towing a big trailer, I'd get a Hemi half ton. Smaller, lighter, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, easier to get fuel, etc. But I do tow a big trailer, and I'm keeping my Cummins!
Jim,

My point of my post was, and obviously you missed it, is that I've been reading on here as long as I've been on here, that Diesels make way better mileage than gasoline trucks, and that is NOT TRUE of the newer Diesels. My gasoline truck made one to two miles per gallon better mileage than this '08 Diesel does under the same driving conditions.

Driving on the interstate at 70 MPH, the gas truck got 18mpg, the Diesel 16.4. Pulling the 17er, the gas truck got 15, the Diesel gets 13.4. Doing 80, the gas truck got 15/16, the Diesel gets 13.

No, I have not pulled a 34 footer, nor do I intend to. I haven't even pulled our 6500 pound 25er yet, but pulling the same small 17er at the same speeds, the gasoline truck got better mileage. I'm almost afraid to see what the Diesel does pulling the 25er at this point.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Gee,
I'm getting 18 mpg in Los Angeles and 20.7 on the freeways. (and sometimes better!) with my 6.7L TD.

Towing to Yosemite and all other places I'm getting 15-16 towing my 25 Safari with stuff in the P/U bed.

I guess the other "diesel" needed a tuneup.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
Gee,
I'm getting 18 mpg in Los Angeles and 20.7 on the freeways. (and sometimes better!) with my 6.7L TD.

Towing to Yosemite and all other places I'm getting 15-16 towing my 25 Safari with stuff in the P/U bed.

I guess the other "diesel" needed a tuneup.
Rick,
What year model is your truck, and does it have the DPF (Diesel particulat filter) and the EGR system?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I just traded an '07 1/2 ton GMC pickup (5.3L gas) for an '08 3/4 ton GMC Duramax Diesel 4X4. Took a short trip to New Mexico to pickup a small trailer (17 footer), and AVERAGED 14.9 MPG on the entire trip. The best mileage running empty was 16.8, and the worst pulling the little trailer was 13.6. This is actual mileage dividing miles driven by gallons used, not by the dashboard computer, which by the way, agrees.

This stuipid thing gets WORSE fuel mileage than my 1/2 ton gas truck did.

So, let's see now.....the fuel is about 20 cents a gallon more expensive, and it gets worse mileage????

Sorry folks, I just don't see any savings here. On the contrary, it will cost more to drive this Diesel. The only good thing is, it does have lots more power.
How many miles on the deezul?
It will get better w/more miles.
I suffered the same question when we first got our diesel...not now!
24 mpg unladed highway
15mpg towing with heavy loads...
Never faster than about 73 mph...
A diesel will improve with miles, gassers tend to degrade...

I can't ever see going gasser again, the diesel is such a pleasure to tow with.

Any how, back to the OP; small block and HD truck just seems like an oxymoron to me.
If you are thinking of stepping up to a 3/4 ton, go BB gasser, or better yet-deezul!

Bill
Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
How many miles on the deezul?
It will get better w/more miles.
I suffered the same question when we first got our diesel...not now!
24 mpg unladed highway
15mpg towing with heavy loads...
Never faster than about 73 mph...
A diesel will improve with miles, gassers tend to degrade...

I can't ever see going gasser again, the diesel is such a pleasure to tow with.

Bill
Bill,

It's an '08 GMC Duramax and it has 55K miles on it.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Steve, I guess the first question that comes to mind is; how hard were you pushin’ it? I have spent quite a bit of time foolin’ around with speeds and RPM. Vern did a great analysis of same with his Cummins a little while back also (Cummins are known for their excellent fuel efficiency).
Diesels make peak power around 1800 RPM. Peak efficiency will be at slightly less than that. Try to cruise in this range.
Diesels make power differently than gas engines. Drive the diesel like a Harley; roll into it, don’t stomp on it like a gasser.
Check the obvious items also; fuel filter, tires, etc.
I think one good pull will convince you that you have made the right choice. Hook up the big trailer and go! You’ll forget that little ½ ton real quick!

Bill