Old 08-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I find your diesel fuel mileage somewhat disappointing. I get 10 mpg on my Suburban 2500 6 liter gas engine pulling my 7400# Airstream. I have always thought that a diesel would give me a 40% mileage benefit over my gas power plant. With no better mileage with a diesel, I don't if I want to pay $8,000 for the diesel option, 20% higher for fuel that is harder to get, and double for servicing. With these figures, it doesn't seem that a diesel is at all worth it.

Brian
Moosetags, take heart. The truck being mentioned is a 2010 Ford 6.4 twin turbo, from what I have read, they are somewhat infamous for their lack of fuel economy. The 2007.5 to 2010 GM pickups were less fuel efficient than their predecessors, but the new 2011 moves the curve back to slightly better fuel economy than the 2004 to 2007 models.

My 07 diesel mpg pulling my 28' Airstream, probably similar in weight to yours, is routinely in the 14 to 15 mpg range when towing at 60 to 65 mph in the midwest. 21.5 mpg at 65mph on the freeway. I am driving a new 2011 GMC with the new Duramax diesel for my work vehicle, and it gets 22 to 23 mpg at 65 mph on the freeway. It gets similar mileage to my '07 pulling the tt but it has the much larger fuel tank, 36 gallons, 10 gallons more than my '07 so the range is better. You can do a lot of off roading with 36 gallons on fuel.

We recently did three weeks through IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, WY, ID, and SD and did not have any problems finding diesel. Though in some locations there is a likelihood that diesel will be priced at a premium.

AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Moosetags,

It is true, my truck is not known for good mileage. The 6.4L is a great engine, but someone certainly overlooked a few things when taking mileage into account during the design of the engine. In addition to that, all of the new emissions stuff (especially the Diesel Particulate Filter) really did damage to fuel economy.

I agree with your decision to reconsider gas engines, but it's certainly worth a look at the new diesels. One thing to remember in paying a higher price for a diesel engine is also the higher resale value. It's not what it cost you to buy the truck, so much as it is the cost to own the truck.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #101
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313 View Post
Moosetags, take heart. The truck being mentioned is a 2010 Ford 6.4 twin turbo, from what I have read, they are somewhat infamous for their lack of fuel economy. The 2007.5 to 2010 GM pickups were less fuel efficient than their predecessors, but the new 2011 moves the curve back to slightly better fuel economy than the 2004 to 2007 models.

My 07 diesel mpg pulling my 28' Airstream, probably similar in weight to yours, is routinely in the 14 to 15 mpg range when towing at 60 to 65 mph in the midwest. 21.5 mpg at 65mph on the freeway. I am driving a new 2011 GMC with the new Duramax diesel for my work vehicle, and it gets 22 to 23 mpg at 65 mph on the freeway. It gets similar mileage to my '07 pulling the tt but it has the much larger fuel tank, 36 gallons, 10 gallons more than my '07 so the range is better. You can do a lot of off roading with 36 gallons on fuel.

We recently did three weeks through IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, WY, ID, and SD and did not have any problems finding diesel. Though in some locations there is a likelihood that diesel will be priced at a premium.

Yes, I mentioned this some time ago...sure has happened quickly...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post802808

Increased efficiency has caught up with clean technology, the latest deezuls are just amazing with efficiency to meet, or surpass, the pre-emission generation (s).

My experience finding diesel has been just the opposite...maybe it has to do with geography...where we boondock; Northern New England, NY State the further we get away, the more prevalent, inexpensive, and even more potent the diesel fuel becomes. Out in the "woods" the locals are either loggers or farmers...and everything they have runs on diesel... so it is always plentiful, cheap, and has a high turnover, so it is fresh. Most stations offer both on road (15 ppm) and off road blends. Once in a while I'll fill with off road...boy is that stuff nice in the Duramax...
There are plusses/minuse to both gas/diesel...but I have never understood the argument of "hard to find deezul"...there is heavy machinery (skidders, loggers) UPS trucks, big rigs everywhere I have been...
Wonder how those "ice road truckers" deal with it?
That is pretty remote territory...

We have never...not once...had a problem finding deezul...and in the remote areas, we find truck stops have credit card access diesel 24/7...

Bill
Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Wonder how those "ice road truckers" deal with it?
The Dalton Hwy (Haul Road) has diesel in Fairbanks, Coldspot and Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay)óan approximately 500 mile stretch all together, so you're never more than 250 miles from it. There may be diesel between Coldspot and Fairbanks at the Yukon River Crossing; there is gas. Some of the truckers bring diesel from Fairbanks via tankers. This road is not really an ice road, but often an icy road. The northern half has no moose, but from the Brooks Range south, moose are there as well as diesel. Gas was $4.59/gal in Coldspot in June.

I don't use diesel, but it seems to me I see a diesel pump just about everywhere I buy gas. But, on the other hand, there are places in Montana where there's no gas for many, many miles either.

I'm wondering of the new mileage requirements will mean better mileage really soon or not so soon. I don't want to buy another truck that sucks so much gas and don't really need a new truck for a couple of years. I know it's hard to wait when you want to make a move and I don't expect you to. I'm hoping better mileage soon without loss of performance, but not holding my breath.

Gene
Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #103
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thanx for your input. I am now back to looking at the available gasoline power plants. There seems to be no real advantage in diesel, especially considering the significant additional costs with virtually no return in economy.

This puts me back to Ford and GM as Dodge doesn't have a gasoline offering in the 3500 series.

Brian

Diesels does cost more, BUT the main concern would be LONGEVITY. A GASSER is wearing thin at 160,000 pulling all the time.

A diesel at 250,000 is only at half it's life. Even worked Hard.

LONGEVITY, and Toughness....not mpg should be the main issue, But in all even the 2011's are getting a lot better milage than the 2010 F250's.

I'm going to get an 2011, It will be the last tuck I ever buy.

Keep your mind open to all reasons Pro and Con.

In my Terms, The diesel is the way to go. I average 30,000 + a year driving. Not necessarily towing so I hope my diesel will last a lot longer.

NOTE: Also, if you decide to trade in/sale your diesel you get a lot more for it with high mileage than the same gasser with high mileage.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Engine longevity is a good thing, but will everything around the engine last? It seems to me the interior of a vehicle starts to look old around 6 years and that's the time to sell it to get the most for it. I also get tired of looking at the same truck. So, if you don't want to keep a vehicle for more than 150,000 miles or 6 years, a diesel doesn't seem to make sense.

Gene
Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #105
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Engine longevity is a good thing, but will everything around the engine last? It seems to me the interior of a vehicle starts to look old around 6 years and that's the time to sell it to get the most for it.
Gene
Ohh, you must be talking about a Dodge.

I traded my 2001 FORD diesel for my 2007 FORD diesel, ONLY to upgrade to 4x4. 198,000 miles. Inside was Mint. I guess it's on how well you take care of what you have. No JOKE here. No Other problems minus a water pump,at 150,000 miles...350.00 installed and a couple batteries.

Like I said I would have kept it but I need the 4x4.

Garage Kept and detailed top to bottom at least once a month is how I ROLL

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 08-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Engine longevity is a good thing, but will everything around the engine last? It seems to me the interior of a vehicle starts to look old around 6 years and that's the time to sell it to get the most for it. I also get tired of looking at the same truck. So, if you don't want to keep a vehicle for more than 150,000 miles or 6 years, a diesel doesn't seem to make sense.

Gene
Bingo!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #107
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
BTW,...
My trade in Value was AMAZING, especially compared to what a 6 year old gasser with that many miles.

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 08-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
BTW,...
My trade in Value was AMAZING, especially compared to what a 6 year old gasser with that many miles.
The cost of the diesel option when you bought your truck new was prolly 10 grand.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #109

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm still keeping an open mind on the diesel/gas issue, but I will have to admit that the gas is looking better considering the initial cost and fuel economy. The diesel availability issue not with standing, the gas still looks slioghtly favorable over the diesel.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #110
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The cost of the diesel option when you bought your truck new was prolly 10 grand.
Ha, Even at THAT price I wouldn't buy a diesel. It was a 6,000 markup.BTW, they gave me over 12,000 trade in on a 6 yr old truck with close to 200,000 miles on it.Now that was TRADE,..they had to make profit. Probably could have sold it outright for close to 16,000. They also took off over 5,000 off my 07. So there was no hidden numbers. WITH 3.9 % interest.Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Ha, Even at THAT price I wouldn't buy a diesel. It was a 6,000 markup.BTW, they gave me over 12,000 trade in on a 6 yr old truck with close to 200,000 miles on it.Now that was TRADE,..they had to make profit. Probably could have sold it outright for close to 16,000. They also took off over 5,000 off my 07. So there was no hidden numbers. WITH 3.9 % interest.Shane
And if you bought a chev duramax you would even got more for your trade.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #112
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
And if you bought a chev duramax you would even got more for your trade.
Now I see where the hate was coming from...Shane

TAC ID TX-1432