Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
An 8' bed has a longer wheelbase than a 6'. Check the manufacture for the turning radius and consider where your rig would be principally used.
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We want a single rear wheel truck for better wilderness access.
That may rule out a dually. I don't know about a dually for wilderness (very wide track I suppose), but for wilderness access any full sized truck is very limiting. Just how "wilderness" do you want to go? 4wd roads often mean a compact pickup (do they still make them?) or a jeep or a small SUV. I can't imagine taking our 1/2 ton truck on 4wd drive roads in Colorado or Utah—it's far too big. We've done those roads with small pickups, 4Runners and Isuzu Troopers, but I wouldn't want to try it with a longer, wider truck unless I was very familiar with the road. And I'd hate to meet a full size truck coming the other way because it could be very difficult to get past each other.

Another alternative is two sleeping bags, a cooler, some water jugs, and a foam pad and sleep in the back of a pickup with a 6' or 6 1/2' bed with camper top or maybe you can fit in the back of the Suburban.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

BTW,realizing your request was for tow vehicle info, however, thought I would mention that I saw "l968 Avion truck camper 12' aluminum rivited construction, stove, oven, wood cabinets, toilet, furnace, $1800, delivery possible 414-403-6337, WI " listed in the Sept issue of Hemmings Motor News. No mention of condition and can't tell much by the picture. All polished up pulling your AS
T/T, it could be a beautiful combination. Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This is why I like my F-150 FX4. It's 4x4, has low and high gearing, runs happily in 4x2, can tow 9,900 lbs, has excellent ground clearance, and the hitch is naturally 19" high With its 5.4L triton V8, it can tow anything and with the firm but not hard suspension, it doesn't hurt large or smaller trailers.

I chose an extended cab with the medium 6 1/2 foot bed. I have 4 and 7 pin sockets for work and leisure.

I get 20 mpg freeway, 16 mpg around town, and 14-15 mpg towing - unmodified. I plan to get an Edge programmer to reprogram the transmission shift points for towing, and for the slight fuel economy improvement. I also plan a cold air intake because having 17 extra horsepower means I'll naturally use a little less gas to get the same power as before. On my last truck, this got me an extra 2.5 mpg over the life of the vehicle.

2.5 mpg over 180,000 miles is 22,500 extra miles or saving 1022 gallons or $2,750 at today's prices. Not bad for a $600 investment.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That may rule out a dually. I don't know about a dually for wilderness (very wide track I suppose), but for wilderness access any full sized truck is very limiting. Just how "wilderness" do you want to go? 4wd roads often mean a compact pickup (do they still make them?) or a jeep or a small SUV. I can't imagine taking our 1/2 ton truck on 4wd drive roads in Colorado or Utah—it's far too big. We've done those roads with small pickups, 4Runners and Isuzu Troopers, but I wouldn't want to try it with a longer, wider truck unless I was very familiar with the road. And I'd hate to meet a full size truck coming the other way because it could be very difficult to get past each other.

Another alternative is two sleeping bags, a cooler, some water jugs, and a foam pad and sleep in the back of a pickup with a 6' or 6 1/2' bed with camper top or maybe you can fit in the back of the Suburban.

Gene
We have already done some of this wilderness camping in the Bighorn National Forest, Wyoming, this past spring using the 4wd Suburban. There are some really neat campsites right in the middle of the Mooses. This area is readily accessible with the Suburban, but Lucy couldn't make it over the terrain. A truck camper would handle this very well. A dually would be really tight on some of the roads that the Suburban could handle.

Being used to Lucy, camping in the Suburban is not a lot of fun. Hence, the truck camper idea.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Camarillo , California
Real trucks don't use spark plugs.

2007 AS 23ft SE, Front lounge
2011 F250 CC 4wd Diesel
lkpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I am also now leaning toward a diesel as I think that the gas engine offerings don't have enough juice to do the job with confidence. I have driven a Duramax, and I also like the diesel 'breaking effect'.

My concern about the diesel is the maintenance issues, routine service, filters, etc. We travel pretty extensively. How easy is it to get a diesel properly serviced on the road. Can Wal-Mart or Jiffy Lube handle this, or do I have to find a dealer to do it?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #28
_

. , .
while quick lube places CAN change the oil in these trucks and i have used them rarely...

there is really no need to go that route.

dealerships are E V E R Y W H E R E....

while the # of dodge shops has trimmed, blue oval shops still seem to be plentiful,

and MOST have "quick lube lines" with 30-60 minute oil service at a competitive price or with discounts.

my favorite "quick lube" franchise is uncle henry...

the driver STAYS in the truck and they provide coffee, a newspaper and a video monitor...

so you can WATCH the guys working under the truck, which is pretty cool.

un fortunately the oil filters used (last time i visited) were NOT oem quality (for the diesel).

so stick with dealer shops or DIY, the new 6.7 is really really easy to diy.

with a change interval of 5,000-10,000 miles it's pretty easy to plan when/where to swap oil.

and i keep a extra oem filter in the truck at all times (wally sells motorcraft filters)

along with the oil, the trucks will need FUEL filters and DEF (except the cummins)

and QUIK shops may not have those things available.

the last issue, if there is a bed CAMPER on the truck,

there may be clearance issues fitting into the typical quik lube bay.

YMMV

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Thanx for the info on servicing the diesel.

As to clearance at the quick lube places, we have been in several with the kayak and large cargo box on the roof of the Suburbans. A pop-up truck camper would need about the same clearance.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	108795  
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Brian,

If you want braking effect then drive a Dodge with the 6 spd auto. It comes standard with the exhaust brake which can be turned on and off according to your needs. Most of the time you will leave it on.

As for oil changes, I go from 12,000 to 15,000 miles between oil and filter changes on my trucks. True, I do run them on the highway all day long for 600 to 700 miles which is much easier on oil than commuter driving, but my guess is you could go an entire trip without changing oil. If you did need to have the oil changed on the road I would suggest a big truck shop (especially a Cummins dealer as they should have the correct filters in stock if you own a Dodge). It would be best to carry spare oil and fuel filters with you just in case.

You are wise in seeking a one ton, I would highly recommend the dually if not for your circumstances. Backing with a quad cab Dodge and 8 foot bed is not a problem nor is turning radius.

As far as engines go I will mention two things: 1. Open the hood. 2. The Cummins has far more proven miles than the other two combined. That same Cummins engine is also used in farm and construction equipment.

IF I were to buy a brand new truck (which I wouldn't because of all the stupid government imposed emission crap!) there wouldn't even be a choice for me to make. Brand loyalty? Yep, based on owning 5 Dodge Cummins with a total of over 2 million miles on them and 4 of them I still own and work. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. But they are the best bang for the buck for what I do with them.

BTW, if you buy the Dodge I would be more than happy to give you some tips and upgrades that would protect your investment.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #31
_

. , .
well at least u are thinking 'bout the clearance issues and have experience with that variable.

the WORLD of truck campers is very diverse much more than 'streams.

i wandered into a park where a 'truck camper rally' was in progress, the variety and LOVE of these things was amazing.

the small ones are promoted in the same way bambi is...

Name:	offroading.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	108796

but once set up STILL have a pretty good size factor...

Name:	setup.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	108797

and the big rig owners claim size matters...

Name:	arcticfox.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	108798

seems they've sorted out the slide issues better than stream, i've seen some with 2 slides that are impressive.

this gets back to what YOU want/choose and details matter.

payload is key for a SRW oNeTOn truck.

IF the camper shell has bumper OVERHANG, you'll need a longer shank or modified receiver to pull the stream...

the fords can be ordered/had with 2.5 inch OEM receivers which are rated to 1600/16,000 lbs

these would TOLERATE a longer stinger (with more moderate loading) than the typical 2 inch box.

it's all good!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I have considered the overhang issue with truck campers. I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to go with a pop-up truck camper with no overhang, avoiding the receiver extension issue.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
I have considered the overhang issue with truck campers. I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to go with a pop-up truck camper with no overhang, avoiding the receiver extension issue.

Brian
good choice, given the combination of housing at your disposal.
________

another issue is the so called "camper package" offered on some of these trucks as an option...

on the ford side the 'camper package" is these things...

1. a REAR anti sway (really these are anti-ROLL) bar.

this helps with LEAN from the higher cog a camper shell creates.

2. an "overload" leaf just above the main leaf spring stack which only engages WHEN the load compresses the main stack

3. a CERTIFICATE that shows the truck's cog and where to place the heaviest part of the camper shell...

and that's it.

1-the rear anti roll bar is a good thing and can be ordered ALONE as an option or added after the fact.

it' really does keep the truck from leaning OUT on turns and makes for a flatter riding experience

2-the OVERleaf is needed IF the payload justifies it, and at lesser loads is NOT a factor in the suspension/ride....

again the oem ford 1 ton srw has MORE payload (rear axle/spring rating ) than the dodge so you may not need it,

but bags and other aftermarket options exist for both trucks.

3-the COG certificate isn't of much use since one can't easily MODIFY the load of a camper shell.

it seems to be more of a 'legalese' document than anything else.

ALL of these diesel fired trucks have engine braking now, it's not a dodge exclusive thing.

the "fx4" package on the fords adds SKID PLATES and a HILL DESCENT feature which is pretty cool...

the driver can SET the speed, for example at 7 MPH

and the truck will totally control throttle/braking/gearing to keep the truck at 7 MPH...

pretty cool.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
We have already done some of this wilderness camping in the Bighorn National Forest, Wyoming, this past spring using the 4wd Suburban. There are some really neat campsites right in the middle of the Mooses. This area is readily accessible with the Suburban, but Lucy couldn't make it over the terrain. A truck camper would handle this very well. A dually would be really tight on some of the roads that the Suburban could handle.

Being used to Lucy, camping in the Suburban is not a lot of fun. Hence, the truck camper idea.

Brian
Brian,

I agree sleeping in the back of a truck is not so good. We tried it and then bought a new, bigger tent. Our backpacking tent just wasn't ok anymore when my knees prohibited backpacking.

Our short experience with a truck camper was a lesson in high center of gravity. We did take it on some pretty bad roads and when they were off camber, it was unsettling. Every combination will be different and I think the suspension on the truck we had at the time was maxed out. Overhanging tree branches can also be a challenge.

Investigating the unusual combination is also a challenge. I like that you are looking for something to expand your experience.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Brian, I tend to be the advocate for smaller rather than larger. Traveled all over this country in pop-top VW camper vans, and found the concept very convenient, much better overall, than pickup campers.

For this reason, you may expand your idea to include pop-top camper vans, as converted by Sportsmobile, and others. You may have them converted exactly as you want, or shop the lightly-used market on their website.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
The " Sportsmobile" site has posted some nice looking used units w/low miles.Our possible next TV. Also GTRV Pop Top Conversions.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I looked at all three too. Bottom line for me. My new 2011 Ford Lariat SuperCab long bed 4WD Diesel will be here in 1-2 weeks. I assume you are buying new. It used to be that special orders cost much more that buying one off the lot. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, at least with Ford. My point is, order exactly what you want. You will probably have this truck for a long time. I keep mine for about 8-10 years. Even though I love my 2001 F350 4WD diesel, I still regret not getting a couple of options I wanted. Make a bid sheet and fax to all the dealers within a radius that you feel is manageable. I sent mine to 7 dealers and the range from hi to low was $2500 on exactly the truck I wanted.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
The " Sportsmobile" site has posted some nice looking used units w/low miles.Our possible next TV. Also GTRV Pop Top Conversions.
I looked at the Sportsmobile website. They make a really neat product. I think that we prefer the truck camper concept because we prefer not to have to make up our bed every night by converting it from the dinette or couch.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #39

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I looked at all three too. Bottom line for me. My new 2011 Ford Lariat SuperCab long bed 4WD Diesel will be here in 1-2 weeks. I assume you are buying new. It used to be that special orders cost much more that buying one off the lot. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, at least with Ford. My point is, order exactly what you want. You will probably have this truck for a long time. I keep mine for about 8-10 years. Even though I love my 2001 F350 4WD diesel, I still regret not getting a couple of options I wanted. Make a bid sheet and fax to all the dealers within a radius that you feel is manageable. I sent mine to 7 dealers and the range from hi to low was $2500 on exactly the truck I wanted.
Regardless of which truck I decide to go after, I plan to do the same thing as you did. Spec it out and send the info to every dealer within a reasonable distance. I'll see what comes back in the way of a price. As a matter of interest, of the 7 dealers that you sent the specs to, how many replied with a price?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Brian,

First a disclaimer, I am partial to Ford's. I have a '28, '68, and 2009 TV. With that said, my post is really on the price issue. If you are a USAA member, they have a buying service which will do a great job of negotiating for you on whatever brand you select. Just have a couple of "instock" VIN's for them to work with, and they do the rest.

If USAA is not an option, there are several organizations which along with membership allow access to the Ford "X" plan for employee type purchases. I belong to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). The "X" plan is one of the benefits there. You get documentation from them then go into the Ford dealer and talk to fleet sales. That can save thousands, it did for me on my 2009. I would anticipate that other organizations who affiliate with the other manufacturers would have similar benefits.

Just a thought.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote