Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Dodge Durango--three quick questions

I'm looking at 2014 Durangos as a new tow vehicle. I'm only looking at 8 cylinders. Three quick questions:

1. I have a 22' Sport. Do I need the 3.45 rear axle or is the 3.09 sufficient?

2. What's your experience with Durangos? Are they durable? Fit and finish?

3. Would you buy a "new" one with at/near 100,000 miles on it? Is there any other similar SUV (Sequoia, Tahoe, Expedition) that you would buy with at/near 100,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have a 2012 semi with the tow package. Love it towing a 25'. I don't know what ratio it has, but I only have a 6 speed trans where the '14s have an 8.

I have 70,000 miles on mine and have had a few repairs- two minor, the biggest being a new vacuum booster for the brakes.

Can't say about buying at 100k, I just don't do that. But at 70k the vehicle is fine and I don't feel I have to get rid of it anytime soon. I'm confidently heading across the country in it again this year.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I have 2 Durangos I have towed my 23' single axle Safari with. Both are 5.9. Don't know the axle. Both are very capable. One is has significant performance upgrades and will easily tow and stop at ludicrous speeds. I don't do that anymore (I gotten smarter).

Watch out for tailgate rust.

At 100k, I would be looking at the suspension, steering, and brakes. Engine and drivetrain should be OK.

I would hope your getting a real good deal on it, or I would reconsider.

I currently tow with a 20 year old suburban. It tow's better, hauls more, get better gas mileage and the chicks dig it.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We tow a 34' triple axel International with ours, a 2014 R/T with the 8 gear transmission.

We just upgraded to it for this season, but from my first tows with it, it's an amazing vehicle. Independent suspension all round and a strong unibody mean that it doesn't wallow in corners like most body on frame vehicles. Power to spare, very stable with a Hensley hitch.

For your 22, the 6 cylinder engine would be plenty.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
.....snip.....

Independent suspension all round and a strong unibody mean that it doesn't wallow in corners like most body on frame vehicles.....

snip......

....heh, heh....those danged body on frame designs. The work of the devil I tell 'ya !!

....this according to a "slow-moving" poster here on the forum.... ( thanks )
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

....heh, heh....those danged body on frame designs. The work of the devil I tell 'ya !!
When it comes to roadholding and cornering ability, yes, most body on frame SUVs and trucks I've driven are pretty terrible.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
When it comes to roadholding and cornering ability, yes, most body on frame SUVs and trucks I've driven are pretty terrible.
You realize what you say about body on frame SUVs/trucks can also be said about your Durango. I rented a Durango for a long trip. Compared to a sedan, Durango (due to it being top heavy) has significant body roll in the corners, yet you consider it safe and still use it. Same thing for body on frame SUVs/trucks. Many people use it.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I can speak from experience for the 5.7 Hemi engine in our 2012 Ram pickup. Strong, smooth and very reliable with excellent fuel economy. We towed our 25 with it in all western states and much of the east and it did a good job.

It had 120" wheelbase similar to Durango, we use a ProPride hitch to ensure rock solid stability in all road, traffic and weather conditions. As Andy mentioned our truck had body on frame construction with a solid rear axle. The Durango is better with unibody and full independent suspension, no frame flex allowing a more controlled handling and stability, and steady weight distribution.

The hitch receiver could be reinforced for a larger trailer like ours but you should be fine. Use a weight distribution hitch with tapered w.d. bars because this connection is a place where flexibility is easier on your receiver and trailer A-frame.

We were shopping for a new Durango Hemi when we bought our new truck recently. They are limited quantity and high demand, the dealer had one Durango Hemi in stock and 256 pickups. They wouldn't deal, $3k discount on the Durango, $10k on the pickup with 0% financing and 100k lie powertrain warranty, 29 mpg highway. Being a lifelong cheapskate, we bought the pickup.

Here's our Hemi, similar weight and dimensions to the Durango.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream:Nebraska.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	262376  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh, I forgot you asked about axle ratio. We had the 3.55 axle in our Ram Hemi with 6-speed transmission. A 3.92 axle would have given more hill climbing power and better engine compression braking but we had plenty of power using the transmission as needed. With your small aerodynamic and low profile Airstream you won't have power issues, especially with the 8-speed transmission, using either axle ratio.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
orillia , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'm looking at 2014 Durangos as a new tow vehicle. I'm only looking at 8 cylinders. Three quick questions:

1. I have a 22' Sport. Do I need the 3.45 rear axle or is the 3.09 sufficient?

2. What's your experience with Durangos? Are they durable? Fit and finish?

3. Would you buy a "new" one with at/near 100,000 miles on it? Is there any other similar SUV (Sequoia, Tahoe, Expedition) that you would buy with at/near 100,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Hi, I looked at Durango and following consumers reports recommendations opted for a 2012 Sequoia, with 100,000 miles, which had much better predicted reliability than all other possible tow vehicles. Just completed our first tour with it and it towed great and gas mileage was not as bad as I thought it would be. Could tow for 3-4 hours between fill-ups even with hills. It has the small 8 cyl. Newer ones with the larger 8 I am told are worse on gas consumption. Hope this helps. Jim
jsthespender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I don't think the axle ratio will matter if you have a 5.7 Hemi engine and 8 speed transmission. There are enough ratios and combined with the torque multiplication of the automatic, you should be fine.

Not to hijack the thread but the Durango will have a lower center of gravity than a pickup, the Durango will be higher than a passenger car, but try to use one and you will be jumped on by those who think that manufacturers recommendations come from Mt. Sinai and they are the word of God. A Tesla will have an even lower center of gravity.

I think it would be interesting to compare the center of gravity of various vehicle types and also factor in track with to come up with a tippy scale, for comparison between vehicles only. But you would probably need to factor in suspension softness and tires.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
Although I do not own the Durango, I do have a Jeep GC and to have the heavy duty tow package you would get the 3:45 vs the 3:09. The 3:45 is the way you should go. As far as the other tow vehicles you mentioned, all would be great ones but personally would want a V8 vs V6 engine for that size of trailer. Also, unless you know who owned a vehicle with a 100,000 miles on it, I would not buy the high a mileage vehicle to tow with as you won't know how it has been used or possibly taken care of mechanically. That's just my two cents. We have owned many Airstreams over the years but currently do.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
You realize what you say about body on frame SUVs/trucks can also be said about your Durango. I rented a Durango for a long trip. Compared to a sedan, Durango (due to it being top heavy) has significant body roll in the corners, yet you consider it safe and still use it. Same thing for body on frame SUVs/trucks. Many people use it.
Every single review I've read before test driving it told me that there is little to no body roll with the Durango, even during hard cornering. My own experience backs those reviews up.

I test drove all of the big SUVs before settling on the Durango. The full size body on frame models couldn't even hold a straight line at 65, much less corner at speed.

Quote:
In corners, the Durango feels more like a crossover. Its front-to-rear weight distribution is 50-50, with some trim levels even tipping toward a slight rear weight bias. BMW makes a big deal of its cars’ 50-50 balance, so it’s impressive to see a Dodge S.U.V. achieve that handling-friendly balance.
Quote:
The Durango's confidence-inspiring steering yields arrow-straight tracking and smooth lane changes, aiding highway cruising comfort.
Quote:
An extremely stiff structure means that the suspension can focus on corralling its high-riding mass and delivering satisfying dynamics rather than compensating for torsional flex, and body motions are indeed well controlled in all situations, even during hard cornering.
Quote:
It may not offer the interior storage space of vehicles like the Honda Pilot and the Toyota Highlander, but the Durango makes up for its shortcomings with excellent driving dynamics and a long list of available features.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Buy a Suburban.

I have a 2001, 1500 Suburban with a 5.3 liter engine (was it a 327 before liters got vogue?) and a high speed differential (not a 3.14, something like a 2.83), and I have pulled a 28' International CCD 28 for over 100,000 miles since new in 2004, all over Alaska (twice), Canada, the southwest, northeast, south, Newfoundland, you name it. Not one problem. Also have an 2006 Escalade and have put another 50,000 on the trailer with it. This business of buying huge pick-up trucks to pull Airstreams is a bunch of crock. I think my trailer weighs in at 7,300# and the tongue weight is 1,000 lbs (measured). Buy yourself a pull vehicle that's pleasant to ride in without a trailer hooked to it and something you can go to church is on Sunday and not look like a red neck. I could never understand how someone could buy a $75,000 Airstream and pull it with a pickup truck. I've ridden in many other friends pull vehicle at caravan lunches and dinners and always hated the ride. Everybody always wanted to ride with me because our "fifteen hundreds" with their coil spring suspensions were comfortable to ride in.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Not the same vehicle, but I have an 05 Durango with v8 Hemi. Bought it used in around 07 with 50k. It now has 185k. Still going strong and paid for. Will it blow up one day? Probably. But until then, Im smiling every mile.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I used to drive and tow with Mercedes ML500s. Since this 3rd generation Durango was designed when Mercedes owner Chrysler, it is the same platform as the Mercedes. They feel so similar, I felt at home in the Durango on my test drive.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #17

2002 22' International CCD
Santa Barbara , California
1998 Durango @ 90K miles still pulling my 22' AS International

My '98 Sport SUV had a tow package w/ 5.2L 8 cylinder engine and a 3.92 axle ratio. Tow limit is 5,700 pounds and handles the trailer with ease, though the vehicle still "drives like a truck." Haven't had any major problems towing except for a cracked cylinder head climbing the Grapevine in SoCal.
bookman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I have an older Dakota. 4.7 V8 3.55 rear end, only 5 speed Tranny; 4 with OD off. Pulls a 25 just fine. I don't think you will have a problem with either rear end given the multi-speed Tranny.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fiat/Chrysler vehicles get the worst reliability ratings from Consumer Reports and have for many years. I'd be especially wary of a 100,000 mile one.

Our '07 Tundra has 106,000 miles and what I've replaced is the oxygen sensor and most of the braking system (master cylinder, rotors, pads and front calipers). Towing eats brakes, so that doesn't seem odd. O2 sensors often go at about 100,000 miles. I will replace the serpentine belt soon because it seems like a good idea. That's about it. The truck still drives and runs like new. The Sequoia SUV is the same truck with an SUV body, softer ride if you get a 2008 or newer. Tundra went to the bigger pickup truck in 2007.

Most people with the Ford EB pickup seem happy too. I'm not sure what SUV is a Ford pickup with an SUV body.

None of these vehicles get good gas mileage. The Ford EB seems to do better than the rest except when towing.

There are two major reasons we prefer a pickup to an SUV: 1. We don't feel good about having gasoline inside an SUV rather than in the bed of a pickup—either gas cans for trips to remote places or in a generator. 2. We use a pickup to pick up big things that don't fit in an SUV. I could figure out a way to better seal gas cans, but building materials don't fit in an SUV very well.

With a tonneau cover, you can protect items in the truck bed. And the extended cab models are similar to an SUV except for the rear storage space. Big SUV's are also much more expensive generally than the comparable pickups.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
My 2004 Durango limited with a Hemi, 2 wheel drive and 200k miles on the clock is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've towed large twin engine boats, loaded U-haul trailers, camping trailers and trailered vehicles over Western mountains and deserts with absolutely no problem. Power to spare, great braking and never overheating. Without a trailer it gets 13 MPG around town and 20+ on the open road. This vintage Durango has body on frame construction and even with a rooftop tent mounted on top it handles winding roads with aplomb. Honestly I think it's a better tow vehicle and my old Ford F-350 dually crew cab and GMC 3500 long-wheelbase Savana van.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote