Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Dodge Durango - first impressions

After three seasons towing with our Honda Odyssey, it was time for a new vehicle. The Honda went to a new home, and we started researching our next vehicle.

We ended up settling on the Dodge Durango. Six to seven seats (we've got six), 4WD, based on the same platform the Mercedes GL class and the Jeep GC are using, fully independent suspension and an 8 gear transmission, we were confident this would be a great family vehicle.

After checking in with Andy from CanAm, he highly recommended both the six and the eight cylinder versions, we started looking. Soon after, we found an excellent deal on a R/T model with the HEMI engine, a lease buyout of a 2014 model.

Last Friday, I drove up to London to have the factory hitch strengthened, a brake controller installed and to pick up our trailer from winter storage. The way back to our storage facility was about 200 km (120 miles) in sunny, slightly windy conditions.

To those familiar with the area, I avoided the 401 and 403 and took rural Highway 2 instead to put the rig through its paces on winding roads and rolling hills.

The Durango handles the trailer with power and authority. It is slightly less communicative than the Honda had been and has access to considerably more torque, nice on hills and traffic lights. While cruising at 55mph, the big 8 cylinder engine was ticking along at 2000 rpm, in 6th gear - out of eight available. The Honda would also cruise at 2200 rpm, in fifth gear - out of six available. Fuel efficiency was somewhat worse than the Honda would deliver, but by a surprisingly small margin.

With the Hensley Hitch and the fresh water tank full, the rig handled beautifully, up and down hills, across railway crossings. The only time I took it very slowly was down a very steep slope with a tight turn at the bottom - nasty at the best of times and not somewhere you want to get caught cold with a trailer.

Conclusion? I very much enjoyed the rig. The extra power is nice, over my old vehicle, but the stability is about the same. If you're looking at a GL, a Jeep or a Durango, I recommend them.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Andreasduess,

I agree the Durango is a great tow vehicle, especially with the 5.7 Hemi. We don't tow anything near your 34', but it certainly has the power to do so and a great transmission with the 8 speed and paddle shifters.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Dodge Durango - first impressions

Congrats on new vehicle. No surprises to read what you've posted.

Is the upper speed limit as low as I am guessing from your post? Or, just the smaller roads?

It's a surprise to me, still, that in western Texas --even on a road with no shoulders -- that one may be allowed 75-mph.

Of course, one can see oncoming traffic 7-15 miles ahead. Farther in some counties. "Curvature of the earth" is what crosses ones mind.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Been towing a 25' with my Durango for two years and a 20' before that. Very happy with it.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Congrats on new vehicle. No surprises to read what you've posted.

Is the upper speed limit as low as I am guessing from your post? Or, just the smaller roads?
The speed limit on most rural roads is 80km/h, about 50 in miles. It's generally safe to push that to about 60, but anything faster and the constabulary doesn't like it much. It's also Mennonite country, and there's no need to frighten the, frequent, horses so I tend to keep to the speed limit.

On the main highways, the speed limit is 100km/h, with most people pushing that to about 120km/h.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
new tow vehicle

Andreas

I just finished sending you a message when I found your thread and photos about the Durango. Congratulations, and I hope you have many years of exploring with the new tow setup.

As I mentioned in my private message to you, I have the Mercedes GL350 up for sale, and am now towing with a GMC Savana 3500 with a diesel engine. My first impression is that the van will handle the trailer well, but I KNOW I will miss the AWD.

All the best.
Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevans View Post
Andreas

I just finished sending you a message when I found your thread and photos about the Durango. Congratulations, and I hope you have many years of exploring with the new tow setup.

As I mentioned in my private message to you, I have the Mercedes GL350 up for sale, and am now towing with a GMC Savana 3500 with a diesel engine. My first impression is that the van will handle the trailer well, but I KNOW I will miss the AWD.

All the best.
Neil
Hey Neil

Sorry to hear that the Merc didn't work out. We actually, briefly, looked at vans as well, but they don't fit our garage, or even the alleyway leading to our garage. I'd be interested to learn how it performs, I know the MaliMish crew loved theirs.

I'll pm you our camping plans for the summer, maybe we'll bump into each other. We're planning on being out a fair bit, but we also just bought this beauty, s/v Fearless, on Saturday, so there's a bit of competition for time now.

She's a 1967 Jenson Marine California 30 in close to mint condition. I'll have her brought to her new home on the Toronto Islands for late April, early May. Year one, with the kids still being very young, she'll be more of a weekend cottage than anything else, but next year I am hoping to take her cruising.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
new boat

Andreas

You are going to be a busy fellow. Were it not for the weekend traffic, I'd suggest keeping her near where I live on Georgian Bay, then you have access to some of the best fresh water cruising/sailing to be had. Add the North Channel to your list of future destinations.

But truly, to get more use out of your new sail boat, Lake Ontario is the place to sail.

What a summer your family has ahead of it!

Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I was thinking of a late model Durango to tow a 23FB or a 25 (neither TV or trailer purchased yet, but looking). I had some concern over hitch weight, until I saw that Andreaduess is pulling a 34!

So the topography around Toronto is only a little more variable than the surface of a pool table. Does anyone have any experience towing a 6000 - 7000 lb trailer around the Rockies or similar mountainous terrain with a hemi-equipped Durango? My local AS dealer warns me that I'll be disappointed in the performance at local elevations and grades.

Thanks in advance to the Forum!
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Airhead,

It is hard for me to understand why you would be disappointed with an newer Durango with the 5.7L hemi and 8 speed transmission. You might be disappointed with V6, however. We have been from So Cal to Albuquerque, SW Utah and Farmington NM with the Durango and our 1954 Liner (about 6000 lbs) without issues. You can't climb a 12,000 ft pass at 70 MPH, but then probably shouldn't (my opinion only).

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead59 View Post
I was thinking of a late model Durango to tow a 23FB or a 25 (neither TV or trailer purchased yet, but looking). I had some concern over hitch weight, until I saw that Andreaduess is pulling a 34!

So the topography around Toronto is only a little more variable than the surface of a pool table. Does anyone have any experience towing a 6000 - 7000 lb trailer around the Rockies or similar mountainous terrain with a hemi-equipped Durango? My local AS dealer warns me that I'll be disappointed in the performance at local elevations and grades.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:

Keep in mind that my 1984 34' is the lightest model ever built, weighing in at a svelte 6250# empty, 7500# ready to camp. The tongue weight is around 10%, with WD in place our vehicle carries just over 500#.

The Hemi engine had zero issues accelerating up the, admittedly modest in size, hills that I encountered - I actually drove faster up these than I normally would, to get an idea of what the Durango is capable of.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
-- snip --- She's a 1967 Jenson Marine California 30 in close to mint condition. -- snip -- with the kids still being very young, she'll be more of a weekend cottage than anything else, but next year I am hoping to take her cruising.
Boats make nice smiles, just like Airstreams. Don't spend too many nights as a cottage. Sailing is a great way to grow up with a fine sense of responsibility. Cal makes great boats. They keep going and going. As the kids get older, they may find tipping a bit stressful. Suggest you tell them about the troll named Keel that keeps the boat from turning over. Keel is a good crew mate, but he grabs toys that fall in the water, so you have to keep them in the boat.

Good luck with your new toys. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Nice outfit. Can't comment on the vehicle but we had the engine in our Ram 1500 with 6-spd trans, excellent power, nice torque range, and reasonably easy on gas when towing and very good solo.

We were test driving a new Durango Hemi the same day we bought our new Ram. It's what we had in mind, but they wouldn't deal on them at all because they are selling well and apparently the supply is limited. They had over 200 Rams for sale with more on the way with great incentives, discounts, zero interest rate, and great trade-in allowance. We bought the Ram, very happy with it as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience towing a 6000 - 7000 lb trailer around the Rockies or similar mountainous terrain with a hemi-equipped Durango?
Yup. Did it last year and doing it again this year. NY to Oregon, Idaho, Montanna, Wyoming.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
After three seasons towing with our Honda Odyssey, it was time for a new vehicle. The Honda went to a new home, and we started researching our next vehicle.

We ended up settling on the Dodge Durango. Six to seven seats (we've got six), 4WD, based on the same platform the Mercedes GL class and the Jeep GC are using, fully independent suspension and an 8 gear transmission, we were confident this would be a great family vehicle.

After checking in with Andy from CanAm, he highly recommended both the six and the eight cylinder versions, we started looking. Soon after, we found an excellent deal on a R/T model with the HEMI engine, a lease buyout of a 2014 model.

Last Friday, I drove up to London to have the factory hitch strengthened, a brake controller installed and to pick up our trailer from winter storage. The way back to our storage facility was about 200 km (120 miles) in sunny, slightly windy conditions.

To those familiar with the area, I avoided the 401 and 403 and took rural Highway 2 instead to put the rig through its paces on winding roads and rolling hills.

The Durango handles the trailer with power and authority. It is slightly less communicative than the Honda had been and has access to considerably more torque, nice on hills and traffic lights. While cruising at 55mph, the big 8 cylinder engine was ticking along at 2000 rpm, in 6th gear - out of eight available. The Honda would also cruise at 2200 rpm, in fifth gear - out of six available. Fuel efficiency was somewhat worse than the Honda would deliver, but by a surprisingly small margin.

With the Hensley Hitch and the fresh water tank full, the rig handled beautifully, up and down hills, across railway crossings. The only time I took it very slowly was down a very steep slope with a tight turn at the bottom - nasty at the best of times and not somewhere you want to get caught cold with a trailer.

Conclusion? I very much enjoyed the rig. The extra power is nice, over my old vehicle, but the stability is about the same. If you're looking at a GL, a Jeep or a Durango, I recommend them.

I would strongly recommend that you drive/tow at between 2300-2700 RPM, with 2500 being the optimal. Reason?
1)The engine needs to'swing' a little without lugging; just like you would jog easily on your own, as compared to pulling a heavy wagon.
2) All the ancilliary services need speed to operate efficiently; water pump, AC generator, power steering, air conditioner etc. too slow will cause expensive problems.
3) Use the shifter manually to achieve the above. It allows you to use those efficient revs. Forget those absolutely useless many speed transmissions; they are a sales gimmick that will 'bite'you in the future.
(My Ford F-150 Ecoboost: Max torque at 2500, most efficient speed to use. I use the little buttons on the shifter to select the proper speed range.)

My vehicles last a very long time. I'm a retired aircraft "mechanic",(AME) 75 years young, been driving for over 55+ years, and learned a lot about keeping my vehicles in top shape.

"Look after your equipment, it will look after you"!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Talking Mr. Thinks He's A Funny Man

You're going to die or something, yada yada yada tow vehicle size, bla bla bla, I'm a legal expert.

But honestly in all seriousness, nice new setup.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This isn't an official assessment, but man that looks bad-a$$. 😀

Didn't they do a Magnum wagon or something like that 5-10 years ago? I always thought a station wagon like that would be a great TV. The Durango looks like a short station wagon to me.

What's the weight and tongue of your 34?

Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Dodge Durango

In December we purchased a 2015 Durango R/T with the V8 Hemi to pull our 2003 25' Bambi SS.............what a pleasant surprise........love the paddles to downshift, never any hesitation on hills, ride and vision great, came equipped with the full tow package.
RW
RalphR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

What's the weight and tongue of your 34?
Around 7500lbs ready to camp, with tongue weight around 10%. It's a very light trailer, considering its size.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our Ram 1500 Hemi 6-speed loved 2100 rpm highway towing, very seldom needing to shift down for the usual hills along the way, and we used manual selection to keep to there.

Now that we have the 8-speed it finds it's own gear, very little change in rpm between gears so you hardly feel it's smooth transition. The 8-speed is also an improvement in downhill engine braking for the same reasons.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote