Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Do you watch your temperature gauge?

Just got back from a quick trip in the smokey mountains. As I have not been towing long, I continually look down to be sure my temperature is within appropriate range. Especially when climbing a long hill of which there are several in the Smokey's. Attached is a photo of where my temperature gauge sits 90% of the time. When I go up a long hill that requires the engine to downshift, I try to keep the RPMs below 3000 and at a steady slow pace. As I am running the underpowered 4.7 v8 in the 1500 Dodge Ram I am very cautious. Before you start, I know I would not have to worry about it if I just had a big honking 3500 diesel, but I do not have one and can't afford one at this point. That is not my question.

As you can see from the photo the needle sits just to the left of the halfway mark. My guess looking at the other gauges is this is set as the optimal spot rather than just 1/2 way. When I reach the top of the mountain the needle will be pointed just about exactly the same distance to the right of the mark on the gauge. As you can see it does not appear that I am getting anywhere near the red-line portion of what I would assume as overheating. Of course this is what you do when the gauge does not show actual numbers but then again I am glad there is some sort of a gauge and not just an idiot light for when you are finally too hot.

As you would guess as soon as I start back down the hill and the truck shifts into a higher gear with much increased air flowing through the radiator. the temp returns to the previous pictured location in approx 1 mile or perhaps 2.

So do you watch your temperature gauge? If so what is its range? Of course if you have a huge truck pulling a Bambi your data will not be as helpful as if you are like me pulling a trailer that is closer to the recommended limit of your TV. I am pulling a 29' Excella with a small 4.7 liter V8. Had I known I was going to get an Airstream I would have at least got the 5.7.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp gage.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	168891  

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My nearly identical Ram towing nearly identical weight Airstream did almost exactly the same thing. If the needle gets more than 3/4 of the way toward H, you will need to do something. Slow down, turn on the heat, turn off the a/c, pull over and let the engine idle with the heat on.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could add an auxiliary transmission cooler if your truck doesn't have one already and it will take some of the heat load off the radiator. Also help the transmission last longer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Just got back from a quick trip in the smokey mountains. As I have not been towing long, I continually look down to be sure my temperature is within appropriate range. Especially when climbing a long hill of which there are several in the Smokey's. Attached is a photo of where my temperature gauge sits 90% of the time. When I go up a long hill that requires the engine to downshift, I try to keep the RPMs below 3000 and at a steady slow pace. As I am running the underpowered 4.7 v8 in the 1500 Dodge Ram I am very cautious. Before you start, I know I would not have to worry about it if I just had a big honking 3500 diesel, but I do not have one and can't afford one at this point. That is not my question.

As you can see from the photo the needle sits just to the left of the halfway mark. My guess looking at the other gauges is this is set as the optimal spot rather than just 1/2 way. When I reach the top of the mountain the needle will be pointed just about exactly the same distance to the right of the mark on the gauge. As you can see it does not appear that I am getting anywhere near the red-line portion of what I would assume as overheating. Of course this is what you do when the gauge does not show actual numbers but then again I am glad there is some sort of a gauge and not just an idiot light for when you are finally too hot.

As you would guess as soon as I start back down the hill and the truck shifts into a higher gear with much increased air flowing through the radiator. the temp returns to the previous pictured location in approx 1 mile or perhaps 2.

So do you watch your temperature gauge? If so what is its range? Of course if you have a huge truck pulling a Bambi your data will not be as helpful as if you are like me pulling a trailer that is closer to the recommended limit of your TV. I am pulling a 29' Excella with a small 4.7 liter V8. Had I known I was going to get an Airstream I would have at least got the 5.7.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jon
Jon.

Installing a transmission coller will help.

However, the instructions tell you to mount it in front of the radiator.

I disagree.

First of all, you remove the heat from the radiator, and then put it right back in.

The best place to mount a transmission cooler is "below" the radiator, behind the bumper.

Mount it low enough so that ram air hits it, but high enough so that parking lot bumper strips can't hit it.

In that way, you truly remove all the transmission heat from the radiator.

Simple but very effective.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thanks Overlander63. That is what I was figuring. I am trying to decide if I should stick with this set up or upgrade to the 2500. I enjoy the gas mileage when not towing (ok tolerate it) but we are looking to take our first big trip to Canada next summer and weighting the whole power idea. It tows wonderfully and I have no problem on interstate or 2 lane road. I am not able to keep up with traffic when there are hills involved and I am ok with going a bit slower. It would be nice to be able to accelerate a bit quicker when merging on but we are careful non the less. Other wise I love the truck. Having a bad back I especially like the seat height and the lumbar support. It makes traveling fun.

Thanks also Wazbro. we do have the additional oil cooler and trans cooler with this model. I don't think it would be possible if it weren't for the set up.

I hope others will offer their experience.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Temp gauge

We watch the temp gauge like crazy -- even before our towing days. No less important than the speedo!
Temp sits routinely at approx 40% --normal in our 5.7 Jeep v-8 hemi. But the long haul 4 to 6 mile uphill grades 6-7% take us up to 80% on the gauge easy. Dont like it! We also keep the rpms under 3000 but have to stop and cool off or watch the gauge as we coast downhill. So far this vehicle settles back at 40% readily -which works for us.
We slow to 35-45 mph on these climbs and just have to get used to it.
BTW we're talkin Smokey Mountains , Asheville and North GA mountains only.
Also --will never have a vehicle without a temp gauge of some sort.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thats our mountains choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
We watch the temp gauge like crazy -- even before our towing days. No less important than the speedo!
Temp sits routinely at approx 40% --normal in our 5.7 Jeep v-8 hemi. But the long haul 4 to 6 mile uphill grades 6-7% take us up to 80% on the gauge easy. Dont like it! We also keep the rpms under 3000 but have to stop and cool off or watch the gauge as we coast downhill. So far this vehicle settles back at 40% readily -which works for us.
We slow to 35-45 mph on these climbs and just have to get used to it.
BTW we're talkin Smokey Mountains , Asheville and North GA mountains only.
Also --will never have a vehicle without a temp gauge of some sort.
I keep saying that our truck pulls like a champ...when it is flat. of course we live in Western NC and there is no where to go that is flat. Don't get me wrong, the reason we love living here is we love the mountains. It is just not easy to go anywhere from Asheville that does not require some sort of long climb up a hill either coming or going. This past weekend the drive through the Nantahala gorge was great. In another few weeks when the leaves are at their peak it will be even better, except there will be lots of other folks driving small (fast) cars on the road getting pissed off that I am taking my time enjoying the leaves.

One of these days I will get to the "younger" mountains out west.

Thanks

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get you a scanguage II to monitor engine and transmission temperatures. It will tell you the real numbers instead of looking at a meaningless gage. You can also monitor slip ration which tells you if the torque converter is locked or not. Unlocked it can lead to overheating of the transmission. An external trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator is a good thing. Leave the one in the radiator because it helps the trans warm up faster and also provides cooling when there is not much air flow through the radiator like when you are parking.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Thanks Overlander63. That is what I was figuring. I am trying to decide if I should stick with this set up or upgrade to the 2500. I enjoy the gas mileage when not towing (ok tolerate it) but we are looking to take our first big trip to Canada next summer and weighting the whole power idea. It tows wonderfully and I have no problem on interstate or 2 lane road. I am not able to keep up with traffic when there are hills involved and I am ok with going a bit slower. It would be nice to be able to accelerate a bit quicker when merging on but we are careful non the less. Other wise I love the truck. Having a bad back I especially like the seat height and the lumbar support. It makes traveling fun.

Thanks also Wazbro. we do have the additional oil cooler and trans cooler with this model. I don't think it would be possible if it weren't for the set up.

I hope others will offer their experience.
I now have an F250 with the 5.4 gas engine, and it gets 15 mpg not towing, and 11 mpg towing. It is a much more capable tow vehicle than the Dodge. The Dodge got 15-17 not towing, and 9 towing.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
That's nothing!
That's where it should be for towing.
It's doing it's job.
And if that's were it was while towing up mountains your ok.
Read
my post from last week on my 2005 4, 7l Dakota.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Jon, good idea to keep an eye on the temp gauge and the others as well. Generally, most gauges in most vehicles are oriented so in their "normal" range the needle is pointing straight up. That way a quick glance across the instrument panel, with all needles pointing near straight up, means everything should be OK. Exception: the gas gauge. It always reads best when pegged to the right. If pegged to the left, could be trouble!!

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thanks to all who offered suggestions and insight. I did go back and read the crazy adventure from Safari-Rick and am glad that is not my case.

Andy, if I have a factory trans cooler (conveniently mounted to the side of the Radiator) would it still be advisable to add an additional cooler or am I just pushing it to hard?

Sandlapper, How do you get your gas gauge to peg to the right? It seems like opening the door to get back into the truck at the gas station causes it to begin the decent back to the left.

It is tough to be in this "almost good enough" size of vehicle. It will tow it but for how many years and and what cost. My guess is one transmission rebuild would cover the difference in a similar year and condition 2500. Oh well I guess that is part of the fun of fine tuning your setup.
Jon

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I dont think youd see much difference in engine temps by putting in an aux tranny cooler. One thing you could do (as long as it doesnt mess with your computer) is put a cooler thermostat in. I noticed on my F-250 itd get hot if I just let it idle for too long. Replaced the thermostat and viola! Doesnt creep much. I also have an aux trans cooler on mine, but its to keep the tranny cool, not the engine.

And your gauge on your truck would be a dummy gauge. It shouldnt read much difference whether its actually getting hot or not. You could install either an aftermarket gauge, or like stated earlier, a ScanGauge. Then you can monitor EVERYTHING on your truck, including engine and tranny temps. Theyre not bad priced either. I think something like $130
Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
Face it you must get a honking big diesel as soon as possible!

Think of this way, we can't afford obamacare either, but we are "buying" it anyway... That buying in your budget is so quaint... You got to follow our leaders example!
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
It is all how you add it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
Face it you must get a honking big diesel as soon as possible!

Think of this way, we can't afford obamacare either, but we are "buying" it anyway... That buying in your budget is so quaint... You got to follow our leaders example!
As a 12 year cancer survivor who was just diagnosed again this June, I can not afford to not have the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This most recent case would have bankrupted me if the insurance company were able to deny me coverage for pre- existing condition.

I guess it is a lot like spending $130 for a ScanGauge or installing an extra tranny cooler in an attempt to keep from having to spend thousands on a new transmission after running it to hot. Some times we have to invest money to protect from greater loss in the future.

I guess it is all about perspective

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Jon, I tow with a 3500 Ram diesel and my temp gauge does the same thing. Maybe happens a little later or only on a longer hill but the same thing happens. It's normal and so long as you keep an eye on it and it doesn't go too much higher you got nothing to worry about. You're still a long way from the " DANGER ZONE".

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'll second the vote for the ScanGauge II. I currently have mine set to display transmission temp, engine coolant temp, current horsepower and current MPG. I'm thinking of replacing the MPG with another register because it's depressing.

Depending on the year of your truck, some things may either be unavailable or may require a little tinkering with the ScanGauge setup. For my '07 F150 transmission temp I had to define the register to query, but the information on how to set that up was readily available. For my particular transmission, slip ratio and input torque aren't available... I'm OK with slip ratio, I can tell by feel and/or RPM whether the converter is locked up or not, but with a newer 6- or 8-speed transmission that wouldn't be nearly as definite. I'm sure those newer transmissions have more data available for the ScanGauge, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Another option is to add somethin like Royal Purple Purple Ice. Its guaranteed to drop your coolant temps somethin like 10 degrees
Old 09-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The Computer Will Protect the TV From You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Another option is to add somethin like Royal Purple Purple Ice. Its guaranteed to drop your coolant temps ...
That must be one of those "water wetter" snake oils; good luck with pursuing non-performance remediation.

Okay, that was snarky. What I meant to post first was that, with modern-day vehicles, the on-board computer monitors coolant and ATF temperatures. If one or both should get too warm, a message will be presented to you suggesting you slow down.

Should you choose to keep the petal to the metal, the computer will cut power to some of the engine's spark plugs which WILL slow you down.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I "third" the recommendation for a ScanGuage II - real numbers and lots of options for configuring what it is you want to monitor.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote