Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Yep. Saw it on the sticker. Have to imagine it was the weight of the diesel that did in!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #62
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau2104 View Post
Are you sure that is right? As per sticker? I had a 2500 gmc Denali package standard bed and payload was the 2800~. I have a 3500 now or I would go take a pic. But it certainly wasn't anything near 2000lb payload.

The 2017 F250 xlt standard is listed at 3300. My buddy has the f250 xlt power stroke and his sticker says 3100. I would imagine Ford would be touting its payload vs GMC until the cows come home if that much of a difference.

For what it is worth, my 2017 Denali 2500 HD DURAMAX has a stated payload (on the door sticker) just under 2,000 lbs.

I also verified the base vehicle weight with fuel, no passengers on CAT scales and it is right at ~8,000 lbs, whereas GVWR is 10,000 lbs.

The Diesel engine has hundreds of pounds to the vehicle, reducing payload as compared to the Gas version. Mine is also a crew cab.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
For what it is worth, my 2017 Denali 2500 HD DURAMAX has a stated payload (on the door sticker) just under 2,000 lbs.

I also verified the base vehicle weight with fuel, no passengers on CAT scales and it is right at ~8,000 lbs, whereas GVWR is 10,000 lbs.

The Diesel engine has hundreds of pounds to the vehicle, reducing payload as compared to the Gas version. Mine is also a crew cab.

The current Duramax have the lowest payload ratings of the big three. The most recent hill climb towing video they had to limit the load because of the “legal” payload of the duramax.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Not being familiar with all brands of 4x4s. But one thing not talked about is how useful low range can be, in addition to 4WD. Do most brands include a low range capable transfer case as part of the 4x4 options?

With the amount of times I use low range to position my AS, I would not trade it at all for a bit more load capacity. No drama, no lurching, controlled maneuvering of the airstream on any grade pad.

I'm sure there's fun stories about leveling an AS on an incline onto lego blocks. 2WD without low range...no thanks.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Not being familiar with all brands of 4x4s. But one thing not talked about is how useful low range can be, in addition to 4WD. Do most brands include a low range capable transfer case as part of the 4x4 options?

With the amount of times I use low range to position my AS, I would not trade it at all for a bit more load capacity. No drama, no lurching, controlled maneuvering of the airstream on any grade pad.

I'm sure there's fun stories about leveling an AS on an incline onto lego blocks. 2WD without low range...no thanks.

The issue with low range 4x4 is some brands also lock the differentials in low range. This makes moving while turning, especially sharp turns, very hard. If you’re on pavement with good traction, this is a very good way to break drivetrain components.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Two campgrounds where we went into a site down a sandy gravel incline to be right on the water and then out the other end, up hill, sandy and gravel as well and after a rain, I needed 4x4 low to get the trailer out. So, if you plan on boondocking etc I would think you might want the 4x4.

The ride of my F350 is something I like and enjoy and it is my daily driver, although I don't go to work anymore, I do volunteer at various places a minimum of three days per week so it is driven quite a bit.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
The issue with low range 4x4 is some brands also lock the differentials in low range. This makes moving while turning, especially sharp turns, very hard. If you’re on pavement with good traction, this is a very good way to break drivetrain components.
Does seem most pickup 4x4s don't have a center diff. Only a straight transfer case, limiting its use to unpaved, lower traction surfaces.

Curious about pickups in general:
1) Does any brand 2WD model offer low range?
2) Does any brand offer a center diff for their 4x4s (i.e. 4WD)?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Does seem most pickup 4x4s don't have a center diff. Only a straight transfer case, limiting its use to unpaved, lower traction surfaces.

Curious about pickups in general:
1) Does any brand 2WD model offer low range?
2) Does any brand offer a center diff for their 4x4s (i.e. 4WD)?
Hi

Based on my experience with "AWD" in cars, it's pretty useless. You very much want things as locked up as you can get them when trouble comes along.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Again, just to clarify my feelings. I believe 4x4 capability is very desirable and will come in handy in many situations where you were not considering the campground roads or perhaps the weather while towing. I did like the GMC 3/4 T ride also, but the payloads with the diesel were not very good; I have a 1100+ tongue weight, kayaks, generator, firewood, and camp gear which weigh in around 2000 with wife and full load of fuel. I chose the F250 6.7 4x4 SuperCrew, because of the payload, the torque (950lbs). The ride with the 2017 and 2018 F250 is night and day over the older Ford 3/4T trucks. I know many folks will argue that a nicely equipped F150 or other 1/2T can do the job. I loved my F150 EB 4x4 for pulling the 25', and really wanted to get a 2017 model, but wife kept pushing me to look at the F250. After comparing the two and now with experience towing my 28' with the F250, I am happy with my purchase. An F250 3/4T diesel Supercrew with 4x4 for larger AS's is my recommendation, if your going to be doing a lot of travel. A lot of folks like the F350 also; supposed to be same ride just more payload and around the same price. One thing for sure, these trucks are not cheep, so make sure you do your homework!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post

However I can't imagine why one would need to go Low-Low on dry pavement.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I guess I agree with you. And, from what I have experienced, standard 4 HI works just great at slow speeds. Once I shift over, I immediately notice the steering difference and at slow speeds, the extra traction has helped me a few times. Don't really see the need for 4 Lo where I go, but having 4x4 traction sure helps. I do miss having the "Auto" 4x4 option I had in my F150. Could shift on the fly when I encountered ice or snow at close to highway speeds and never know it was engaged other then dash alert. I haven't tried that with this set up yet on my F250, but I do detect when I am in 4x4 Hi mode for sure.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do you tow (or have you towed) with a 3/4 ton pickup?

On dry pavement, my Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 4-high range is a bit tight in steering, and has trouble unlocking if I don’t come out more or less even on left and right turns. In 4-low without the rear differential locked it’s really hard to steer, and I haven’t tried full lockup because of that.

However, get into soft sand, or other low traction situations, 4-low will get you out, and I bet locking the rear differential would pull like crazy—in a more or less straight line. Turns are gonna throw sand and mud everywhere, and it will no doubt be interesting to aim it....

It’s nice to have if you get into a tough spot, and I can see getting really bogged down if it wasn’t available.

I guess it’s a good thing my wife likes the look of 4x4 Toyota trucks, huh? I don’t have to justify that style or features...as long as it rides smooth enough for her to take a nap whilst underway[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

And before someone makes the obvious comment, yes, you need to learn how to drive and tow effectively. It’s NOT about all the gadgets. Gadgets don’t compensate for a lack of skill or dumb moves.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
You really should not use 4wd (hi or low) on any dry pavement unless your going to be traveling without any turns. It binds up the drive train to a point where there must be some give whether it be tire slippage, too much can cause stretch of the chain in the transfer case or where and tear on the u-joints.
This is one place where Ford F250 and F350 has this right - they install unlocking hubs so the user can keep the hubs unlocked and they have a 2wd low range truck which can be used on dry pavement. I don't understand why the other manufacturers don't offer front hubs as standard. You can add aftermarket hubs but the cost is pricey at $1500-$2000 range.
I have used 4wd low in campgrounds mainly just to pull the trailer up on a high stack of blocks. This alleviates transmission slippage as the truck can pull like a farm tractor.
I do use 4wd low when pulling our AS up steep gravel roads on the farm or other off pavement uses when pulling or hauling heavy loads (farm tractor or wood) with the flat bed trailer. I love 4wd low!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #74
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, I'll pick on Bob as an example here:

Pull into the beach front campground and look around. Get the trailer placed on the (paved) pad. Where to put the truck? No need to think very hard. It's dark and I'm ..errr ... thirsty. Pull over here and park. The FX package will back me up ....

Wake up next morning. Time to get out and about. Hmm .... parked on soft sand. Yes indeed 4 wheel low was needed to get me out of my fine parking place.

The point is, I don't think I would have been quite so casual about where to park with a 2WD truck. Yes, the 4x4 did it's job and it was fun. I pretty sure that (thirsty or not, dark or not) I would have spent a bit more time looking at the parking options with a 2WD ....

Maybe that's just another of my unique failings ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote