Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Dia
1 Rivet Member

Coastal , California
Do you know what the wierdest thing about shopping for a TV is?

Looking for the dang hitch.

Maybe it's different with trucks, but SUV dealers here in CA don't seem to understand that a tow package is a make or break item. It's almost never listed in the vehicle details, so I spend hours upon hours clicking through the pictures, checking under the bumpers looking for the tow hitch.

I swear, it's like sexing kittens, and it just feels strange after awhile!

Initially, I had my heart set on an Ecoboost Ford Flex, but our budget vetoed that idea so I had to start over. If I have to lift one more tail, I just might lose it.

I've looked at Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas, the Lamdas, etc. The current favorites are 2nd gen Dodge Durangos (06-09, hemi) and maybe something like the Hyundai Veracruz. Price range is 12 - 15k. The Durango is a gas hog, but it's half the price of the Flexes I was looking at, and that's a lot of gas. A cheaper TV might let us keep our Toyota Prius and save the TV for towing duty and hauling Boy Scouts.
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What are you planning on towing? That will narrow your field of TV's quite a bit (usually).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is not that difficult to install tow harness wiring, brake controller and hitch receiver. Most new vehicles actually come pre wired where it is basically plug and play to install harness and brake controller. I would not let the lack of a tow package put me off from the vehicle I wanted.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Dia
1 Rivet Member

Coastal , California
Re: tow vehicle - I'm afraid to say for fear of getting booted off the forum, but here goes...

Our most likely trailer purchase will be a 22 ft Hi-Lo, #3300 dry, #5500 loaded. Hi-Lo is a dual axle, hard side pop up.

Re: no tow package - what about things like a bigger radiator, tranny cooler, etc? There are a few vehicles I've seen where they would have been perfect except for no tow package.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ford Eco Boost.... Doubts

I'll try to make you feel better about not being able to get an Eco-boost. Here's a funny thing: My last name is "Ford" and my new Eco-Boost is the first Ford product I've ever owned. I pull a 25 FB Eddie Bauer with it.

My previous tow vehicle was a 2005 Silverado 2500 Diesel - long bed quad cab.

The new half ton is really pretty impressive as a tow vehicle, though a steep up grade does make me feel the load a bit more. I think the Hensley hitch is a big help that makes me more positive about the towing performance of the vehicle. My reservations?

1) I am afraid I am actually allergic to something in the truck. Every time I go on a long trip I start coughing. Deep wracking "productive" coughs that are sometimes so bad I have to pull off the road and clear my lungs until the spasm passes. I've taken Claritin? which helps while I'm driving, but I still cough all through the night following a long exposure. I'm going to have it detailed to hopefully get rid of whatever is in the carpet or inner surfaces.

2) I'm not wild about instrument placement - Fords have always been built for male drivers over six feet tall, and while the ergonomics are greatly improved over older units, the flashers, radio tuner and heater adjustments are all uncomfortably far out of easy reach.

3) Non-towing mileage isn't all that impressive. Most of my non-towing is in-city driving and I'm lucky to get 15.5 miles per gallon.

I DO love having a backup camera though mine has the small one in the rear view mirror. If I had a do-over I'd get the more expensive BIG one. I also really like the rear step that's built into the tailgate - an Idea which is a life saver when you need something out of the bed in a hurry.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Dia
1 Rivet Member

Coastal , California
Oh, no!! I can't even imagine shelling ou the $$ for a new truck and finding out you're allergic to it. Yikes!