Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Do I really need a new TV?

My TV is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4 ton) diesel. Bought it new. It's primary use has been for towing my 2001 25' Safari. It has 135K miles.
All regular scheduled maintenance (oil changes, filters, transmission fluid, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, etc.) has always been done at the appropriate time. I get 17 MPG towing and 21 not towing. Physical appearance is like new.

Never had a wrench on it until last year on our "annual get out of the heat" trip to Colorado. Replaced a water pump and sepentine belt on that trip.

It has new tires, new batteries, new shocks, and new brakes. Just had the AC control fixed at my local independant mechanic. I ask him to look over the truck while he had it and make sure it is ready for this years travels. He advised me it needed nothing and was in great shape. He said it should go another 150K easy without any major troubles.

I trust the truck totally and never even think about tow vehicle problems when hooking up for another AS adventure.

My wife and I will be leaving Texas for Colorado, Wyoming, Montanna, and perhaps southern Canada, (Alberta) in early July. Planning to be on the road until end of October when we will return to Texas for the winter.

My wife just advised me that she would feel more comfortable on this years trip with a new TV! She said she did not want to have trouble on the road like last year, and that she is not comfortable taking a 9 year old TV on this trip.

So, what do you guys and gals think? Do I need a new tow vehicle or not. My vote is "not" but I would like to hear your opinion!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
You know its probably just a matter of chance. If she's pushing it, if it does break you'll never hear the end of it.

I had a immaculate '99 F250 diesel I sold last year with about 120K. Garaged, only for towing. My priority was not to be on side of road. It worked for me. The truck had several repairs for the new owner including the water pump (friend- I fixed it for him). But I didn't wind up on side of road with new truck. I went with gas truck due to complexity of new diesels. The near 400 hp moves the 25 just fine.

You know there's lot of life left in your '03. It was the electrical gremlins which concerned me. Pretty hard to anticipate some of that.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
If she's pushing it, if it does break you'll never hear the end of it.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't: roll the dice. Being full-time, I see (in order): Ford F-150/250s, Chev Dura-Max, and Toyotas, hardly anyone seems to tow with a Dodge anymore.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That's a low mileage vehicle in my world but never owned a Dodge. For the same money get a new Airstream, that way she'll be happy no matter what and you get to keep a nice truck.

Seriously.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would say no too. But like tpi says, if something does happen you will never hear the end of it. I find sometimes it's better to just make the wife happy, even if you think she is wrong! It makes life so much easier for you... Plus you should get a good price on the one you have...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have a 99 Dodge 2500 diesel I bought new. It has towed just about everything up to 38 feet and now has 567,000 miles on it.
With reasonable maintenance they will last a long time. Oh, and I still have the original water pump.
By my standards your truck is nor even broken in yet.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
You certainly don't need a new truck.... but you better get one!
SHE is always right.
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Another forum member (Denis4x4, if I remember right) bought a new TV - and had it towed home with less than 1000 miles. And both of the Ram diesels I've dealt with recently (2007 and 2010) needed various fixes already. (Both years were the first year of major changeovers.)

All of that's probably statistically unusual, but my point is that you own a truck that you know inside and out. Then again, i just upgraded our tow vehicle partly because my wife feels more confident with it - so far be it for me to dismiss that influence.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Probably not.....but just remember,"she's not happy, 'til your not happy".

Good Luck

Bob
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just another opinion, but a water pump and serpentine belt were probably about due with your mileage. If you have taken good care of your truck and those are the only things that you have had to repair, I'd keep it.

If you have a mechanic you trust, have him (or her) go ahead and replace anything that worries you or your wife (if you aren't mechanically inclined, and don't wish to do it yourself). Even if it costs several hundred dollars or more (anything short of a new engine, transmission, etc.), that is only a couple of new truck payments; and you'll be set for another couple of years.

Personally, I'd have your mechanic check the U-joints and change the oil in the transmission and differential. Then, set aside a few hundred dollars for a new/rebuilt alternator, muffler, etc., just so you are ready to replace other minor items that could fail in the near future. Again, if money is no object, just go ahead and have these parts serviced or replaced. Your new car dealer, while not the cheapest place to have work done, can provide a list of the items that need to be replaced (or are most likely to fail) for the cost of an oil change or other routine maintenance.

We recently put about $500 in our 2002 Prius, and that small amount of money will probably keep this commuter car in our family for another 5-10 years. $500 was about 1.5 car payments, back before it was paid off. This is a small investment, compared to $25,000+ (or payments) for a new car, plus the higher insurance rates and all of the other expenses that come with that new car smell. Plus, our old Prius now drives just like it did when we drove it off the lot back in 2002; it just needs detailing, which the dealer would have gladly done if I wasn't too cheap to pay them to do it.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Only reason to replace her is if you WANT a new one.

I recently ran into a guy at the diesel pump who was towing a big box / no windows trailer with a Ram / Cummins diesel. Asked him about it. He told me he has a fleet of these trucks. He buys them used, either in Florida, Texas or Arizona, with 100,000 miles plus on the clock, ("at steal-em prices from owners who don't know much about diesels")then uses them to tow trailers full of mail under a government contract. Told me that the one he was currently driving with 350,000 on it was the current "youngest" truck in his fleet. No significant mechanical issues.

He does it for a living, you do it for fun. You decide ... but one of my diesels has 250k + on it and is a daily driver, one only 75k, and one I sold (big mistake!) at 180k. I just bought another. It almost certainly won't be the engine that goes first.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I SAY "NO" But if the wife wins. I'll buy it! Knowing that trucks record. I know it's a good one. I bet it will go for many more miles. I own a 02 Chevy 3500 van with 196k. I have never done any major work on it. Tune-up, brakes and tires is all the work it has needed in the last 100k. Tell the wife the cost for a new TV would pay for a lot of fuel for more trips.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

My 2000 diesel Excursion purchased new has 210,000 miles. The only time it has ever let me down was when a power steering hose failed. Lack of fluid killed the pump. When it was in the shop for the power steering, the water pump was replaced because there was a wobble. I have changed the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles and the lube in the differentials once.
There is long 8% hill near my house. The Excusion will still run up that at the legal limit in overdrive just like it did when it was new. It will go up the same hill towing the Airstream at 60+ mph in passing gear.
I would replace the hoses, both water and power steering and change the fluid and filter in the transmission.
After that you have eliminated 90% of the things that could fail suddenly on an old truck. Electrical sensors fail occasionally even on new vehicles.
Unless you like buying new trucks, I would hold on to the old one and listen to the "I told you so's" if something goes wrong. Take the Misses out for dinner every time she wants to go with the $$ you will save.
P.S. If she wins the discussion, there are plenty of us out there who want your Dodge.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Jeez, and your current truck, at that young age, probably still has that new-truck smell to it. Seems like of sad!

Lynn
Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudd1968 View Post
My TV is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4 ton) diesel. Bought it new. It's primary use has been for towing my 2001 25' Safari. It has 135K miles.
All regular scheduled maintenance (oil changes, filters, transmission fluid, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, etc.) has always been done at the appropriate time. I get 17 MPG towing and 21 not towing. Physical appearance is like new.

Never had a wrench on it until last year on our "annual get out of the heat" trip to Colorado. Replaced a water pump and sepentine belt on that trip.

It has new tires, new batteries, new shocks, and new brakes. Just had the AC control fixed at my local independant mechanic. I ask him to look over the truck while he had it and make sure it is ready for this years travels. He advised me it needed nothing and was in great shape. He said it should go another 150K easy without any major troubles.

I trust the truck totally and never even think about tow vehicle problems when hooking up for another AS adventure.

My wife and I will be leaving Texas for Colorado, Wyoming, Montanna, and perhaps southern Canada, (Alberta) in early July. Planning to be on the road until end of October when we will return to Texas for the winter.

My wife just advised me that she would feel more comfortable on this years trip with a new TV! She said she did not want to have trouble on the road like last year, and that she is not comfortable taking a 9 year old TV on this trip.

So, what do you guys and gals think? Do I need a new tow vehicle or not. My vote is "not" but I would like to hear your opinion!
Your mechanic is correct. This exact vehicle (but DRW) is the one that easily ran 300k in commercial service for hotshot and oilfield in our state for hundreds if not thousands of commercial operators. A few breakdowns might have occurred . . but there is not enough to worry over for you as you are not constantly pulling a 16-24,000-lb trailer.

Mine is a 2004, and, with this upcoming August marking the ninth year since manufacture -- and with 180k plus miles -- I mark this as the halfway point on time & miles for this truck.

Keep treating it as if it were brand-new. No parts but factory. No tires but the best. Book service intervals for time or mileage (or shortened). Keep it as clean as Day One. Etc.

The newer trucks are overly expensive, overly-complicated and will not achieve the same fuel mileage if you buy a diesel. There is no comparable gasoline truck to yours or mine.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
The Dodge is an awesome truck... and I assume its the 5,9 Cummins...
They are tough and you can get them fixed just about anywhere...
I say keep it, and blow the consequences...

But a word of caution...

My buddy with a similar Truck was telling me just the other day, that when he drove over about 75, he could hear a whining noise and was worried about it... and asked me my opinion...
I replied, that I once had a similar issue...
"What did you do?" he asked..

"I divorced her!" I replied

I would suggest replacing the Wife.... but that would be REALLY expensive...
Ask me how I know...
Divorces are expensive.....
But sometime they are worth every Cent!

OK, joking aside, maybe suggesting she pay for the replacement truck would solve the problem?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation No

135,000 is just broken in mileage for a diesel RAM. Any vehicle can have a malfunction at any age. Dodge Rams have a very good reputation for reliability. If you are going to be gone that long, I don't see the problem with staying somewhere a day or two if you do need have repair work.

I am much more confident starting a long trip with my well cared for 2003 Diesel Ram (see profile picture), than I would be with a untested and not yet broken in new vehicle.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Thanks for all the replies so far! I think, and my wife thinks, believe it or not, that we'll keep the truck! After 35 years, she still listens to everyone but me! I'll get the hoses replaced as Phoenix suggested. The wife really likes the "take her out" more and the "more money to spend on gas" suggestions.
Thanks again!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
If it is not broke don't fix it.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I always have a hard time parting with my used vehicles, because I generally keep them in good condition and always think to myself "I'd buy this vehicle if I found it used..." so selling/trading is sad parting. I traded my 2006 Tacoma that was in super shape for a new 4runner... Hated the 4runner... traded it on a Sequoia... but still miss my Tacoma.

I guess it's like an old horse... until he leaves you in the desert, why shoot him?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote