Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #21

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Sounds like you've already decided that the AS doesn't fit your style either.... I hope the truck and/or trailer go to someone who will love it.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Finding a new home

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your Airstream/TV.

I'm sure you will have no trouble selling as there ought to be numerous people standing in line waiting for you to sell as related from an experience I had a couple of weeks ago.

I had some plumbing problems with my excella and since there were not any AS service centers close to my house I decided to take it to a reliable Big Box retailer that I have delt with in the past with my camper.

My Airstream took about a week to get fixed, in the mean time it stood patiently in the parking lot of the service center waiting for its new dump valves to be put in. When I went to pick her up the Service Manager said "were glad to get this thing out of here", he related stories of custormers that had come in to buy a new box trailer and were somehow gravitated to the AS when they saw it standing there like a polished jewel among rough cut diamonds. He told me that he would get a least 5 customers a day inquiring if the Airstream was for sale, then he ask me if I would be interested in selling it to them or trading for one of there new units. I just chuckled, and said no way.

I've had my problems with my AS just like everyone else, and it took two years to get my towing problems fixed as I set up the equilizer hitch myself according to the instructions that came with the hitch. The Dealer that was doing the work on the AS plumbing pointed out that I had not set up the hitch properly and resolved the issue for me. My first trip after the change made a world of difference, my chevy 1/2 ton pulled it like a dream.

In looking around the web I noticed the market for used Airstreams seems to have dried up and from the experience I just had with the RV dealership I see why.

I don't know what it is about aluminum, but you are either love it and except the little distractions like the plastic coat peeling or find all sorts of things to complain about it, in which case you probably find all kinds of problems with everything you own. For a lot of people its got to be a hell of a problem to trying to be perfect in a imperfect world.

HankO
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
Been there and we are happy now. We spun around on I-70 crossing Kansas in a windstorm. At the time we had a Nissan Titan pulling our 29 foot. The important part though was that it is a 1993. We got rid of that vehicle--glad we lived to tell about it. And purchased a Ford F-350 diesel--ok we have a farm and needed for that too or we would have purchased the F-250.

First this vehicle is OVERated for what you need. It should be fine. Ours pulls and gets about 15 miles per gallon but that is diesel. What we had problems with was the fact that our axels and wheels had severe issues on our Airstream when we bought it from an older couple. They had not used it for a while. We took it to the big camping box store when we purchased to get it checked out and they said it was in good shape. Not so, and it almost killed our whole family. Look into the trailer suspension first, the truck next. Also, with a trailer that long, you need stabilizer bars. I am attaching 3 pictures I just took of our setup though we are camped and not hooked up.

Stay safe out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3959436633.png
Views:	170
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	138119   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2010137769.png
Views:	135
Size:	819.8 KB
ID:	138120  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3971646069.png
Views:	95
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	138121  
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm sure that this is a silly question, but, does getting the hitch set up all perfect cause the TV to pull hills and such and drive into the wind any better? I can imagine that it would make the ride a lot more comfy, but does that make the whole rig just run down the road with more ease? e.g. not loosing so much speed on hills or during windy road conditions?
Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
I'm sure that this is a silly question, but, does getting the hitch set up all perfect cause the TV to pull hills and such and drive into the wind any better? I can imagine that it would make the ride a lot more comfy, but does that make the whole rig just run down the road with more ease? e.g. not loosing so much speed on hills or during windy road conditions?
Uzzah,

Well.....yes and know.

It really doesn't make it less stressful for the TV, ,or any easier for it to haul the load.

But you'll know when it's set up right by lack of white knuckles wrapped around the steering wheel.

It's known as piece of mind.

Bob