Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My '03 Duramax is going on 95K miles. No injector problems YET. I do use a marine diesel additive and I did put a Caterpillar 2 micron filter between the fuel tank and OEM filter. It does catch a lot of water. I have taken the filters apart and have seen about a thimble full of rust/water in the bottom. The Cat filter will not pass water. I do about 11K miles per year.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Cracker,
There have been known issues with early Duramax injectors since 2002. I have an early 04 (LB7) and have a letter from GM extending my injector warranty out to 200K miles. I realize your trucks condition may have bypassed these warranty conditions but I'm surprised your mechanic didn't try and pursue it anyways. That is a chunk of change. White smoke at idle is an early warning indicator of the problem. Mine has done this for a while (with no loss of power or fuel mileage) but it doesn't fail enough for replacement. Yet. I hope yours is like new again.
-Ken
That's what I was thinking...
Cracker, did you look into this and see if you were covered?
Did you buy the truck new?

I have heard few issues with Duramax outside of these years...usualy the problems are traced to running veggie oil...or bad fuel.

Bill

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
I feel your pain. I had my 08 Ford 6.4 Injectors, fuel lines, fuel rail, pump, and all injectors replaced at 36.1K miles. I was towing Cosmo about 200 miles away from home when he left me on the side of the road at night...

Ford had my fuel tested 3 times on 3 different occasions, wanting to blame it on fuel and void the warranty. I passed all 3 times. They even sent a Ford engineer to "inspect" my truck for anything I may have done or modified.

One month later, I Ford finally fixed everything, but it was a huge headache and to be honest, I've lost faith in my King Ranch a bit.

Truck now has 58K miles on her. Always had Ford full synthetic oil change every 5K, fuel filters ever 10K. Even put the Ford Cetane booster every fill up too.

I miss my 6.0 diesel Excursion. Never left me on the side of the road. Even when the alternator went out on the side of the mountain up in Gila NM, it still got me back to town.

At least you truck injectors are a bit more forgiving then the new injectors of today inf the post 2008 era and the federal emissions ....

As much as I complain about my 08 Ford, it's still the best ride and the most luxurious truck I've ever had. I hear other owners complaining about Ford voiding their warranty for bad fuel, etc, but they never did it to me.

I'm also a Ford stockholder, so I do give them props for watching their warranty costs and bottom line. It was a balancing act for Ford to make it thru the recession without borrowing any money from the government. I give them credit for that...

Now that you have a whole new fuel system, you should be good for another 100K!
Isn't that the engine that was a flame thrower when first released. I almost bought one but when I found out I would go from around 17 mpg to 12 mpg I started running backwards. I had even located the truck with moon roof GPS and all.
I am still driving my 2002 with 284,000. no engine problems. Transmission started acting up at around 220,000 and was rebuilt and torque converter was upgraded.
F350 SRW Super Cab Lariet long bed with 100 gal bed tank. 1600 mile range towing.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Cracker,
There have been known issues with early Duramax injectors since 2002. I have an early 04 (LB7) and have a letter from GM extending my injector warranty out to 200K miles. I realize your trucks condition may have bypassed these warranty conditions but I'm surprised your mechanic didn't try and pursue it anyways. That is a chunk of change. White smoke at idle is an early warning indicator of the problem. Mine has done this for a while (with no loss of power or fuel mileage) but it doesn't fail enough for replacement. Yet. I hope yours is like new again.
-Ken
Yep - I'm well aware of the warranty conditions and, as I mentioned earlier, the first set of injectors were replaced under warranty. Although I'm under the 200,000 mileage part, I'm now over on the 7-year part! I purchased the truck new in September, 2003.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think injectors are too costly.
Diesel Fuel Injection Repair for the Midwest | Diesel Truck and RV Repair | Truck and RV Performance Center | Huckstorf Diesel Pump and Injector Service Inc of Wisconsin
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
This thread reminded me to drain the water separator on my diesel today. I drained it in to a drinking glass. The fuel was perfect, crystal clear sparkling clean without a hint of cloudiness.

While I do try to hit high volume stations, sometimes I wind up needing fuel from smaller outlets.

Probably my good fortune with this has been purely good luck.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #35

1973 23' Safari
Nashville , Tennessee
Additives

You guys need to think about adding a additive to your fuel. I add Seafoam on a pretty regular basis in my gas engine. It removes water and moisture. It would be way cheaper than buying injectors etc. It is a pm issue that would be worth the trouble.

I'm thinking of putting a diesel in my landcruiser and will definately use it with the diesel motor.

I have used seafoam for over a decade on all kinds of motors with EXCELLENT results.

Steve
Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
RV'ers tend to be the only ones with the Duramax. The oilfield hotshot, ranchers and farmers stick with Dodge, older or newer. There are more Fords on the road than other brands, perhaps (gas & diesel), but when it's time to hook up to a heavy trailer to haul, it's a Dodge almost exclusively.

Injector problems are most common on Duramax, less so on the others. For the CTD drivers, injector problems seem to a combination of aftermarket tuners and the less-than-desirable factory fuel filtration setup. Hotrodders, on other words. A set of new injectors for CTD is around $5-6k.

Any truck brand would benefit by spending the money for more extensive filtration. Examine what other owners are doing, and what aftermarket kits are well-supported by warranty.

All vehicles are a crap shoot. I wouldn't let the work done dissuade me from keeping it given otherwise good condition (as you've indicated). Your model is capable of excellent fuel economy, so let it go. I wouldn't drive hell out of it, rather, I'd add filtration and be more careful with where I fueled. Plus warm-up. No under 30-mile trips (which is complete warm-up of everything from coolant to grease to tires [almost]), a winter front, a block heater, etc. Keeping it garaged and cleaned is the hardest, but most worthwhile pair of items.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #37
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
RV'ers tend to be the only ones with the Duramax. The oilfield hotshot, ranchers and farmers stick with Dodge, older or newer
Lets see the source you got that from Red. CA is a big ag & oil state and by my eye, I rarely see a dodge in the field. Haliburton, Schlumberger, and BJ Services are a few that buy fords.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #38
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I sure would like to see a few folks who aren't having trouble chime in here.
Rick,

I'm at 106,000 miles on my '05 Ram 2500 5.9L that I bought new. Routine maintenance knock on wood so far. Just oil changes and fuel filters. The truck is my daily driver, had one season with the AS so far. I have new tires and it just got two new batteries yesterday. I have had two oil analysis, nothing is showing up.

I also have a 185,000 mile 1997 Ram 3500 5.9L 5 speed for my Son. Bought it with the famous KDP problem, broken gear case, we replaced case fixed now for over 3 years, runs great sounds just like a farm tractor.

Not a dieseloligist, just a Dodge Cummins enthusiast.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #39
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
B series Cummins

The engine may be in a lot of equipment in the field, not just a Dodge.
Numbers produced and in use far exceed any other brand of similar size.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...h_rebuild.aspx
Dave

Cummins B Series engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote from Wikipedia "This rating and it's performance was based on the combustion system developed during a joint venture Cummins had with Iveco and New Holland Agriculture called the European Engine Alliance, or EEA. Pat Shea led the development of this performance hardware and rating for Cummins, Inc. The engine development started as the "Hot 6" program internally to Cummins. Pat, along with the help of Dave Murray, Daryl Walker and Aaron Quinton, worked on this engine development at the Mid Range Technical Center. The work, along with Pat, Daryl and Dave, was moved to a facility south of Columbus, known as Oly internally to Cummins. The name Oly came from the prior owner of the facility who was named Olympic Truck, or Oly for short. Pat Shea is considered one of the best, if not the best, combustion, performance and emissions engineer within the Cummins family."

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Lets see the source you got that from Red. CA is a big ag & oil state and by my eye, I rarely see a dodge in the field. Haliburton, Schlumberger, and BJ Services are a few that buy fords.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I had a Ford Diesel 7.3 with 198,000 miles when I traded her in. Had to replace a waterpump and a starter.

My 6.0 Ford diesel had over 80,000 miles on it without a hiccup.
My current 2011 6.7 diesel has 16,000 miles and no problems.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
I have been heavily researching an excursion/ cummins conversion thinking I will end up with a reliable super vehicle. Do these same problems effect cummins as well? I have not read of such issues on the cummins forums.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
I have been heavily researching an excursion/ cummins conversion thinking I will end up with a reliable super vehicle. Do these same problems effect cummins as well? I have not read of such issues on the cummins forums.
My Cummins 5.9 in a 99 dodge has not had any of these problems.. other than replacing a worn out injection pump at 458, 000. Have never found traces of water in the fuel and all injectors are original.
I can't speak for the newer 6.7 which is more complex, fires injectors more times for each rev etc. but I would buy the Dodge Cummins again based on my experience.
I am currently at 560,000 miles

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel failure