Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Diesel. I have had both and everyone who has had a larger trailer including me likes the extra power it offers.
Me I am a die hard Ford fan. had one GM product and never buying another.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I will comment after just completing my first season with our new 06 DuraMax/Allison Crew Cab; towing with this combo is unbelievable. As a daily driver, not so much difference. I do notice you have to drive it like a Harley though; roll on the throttle, don’t crack it (lots of torque). Not once, all season, even in several trip to the mountains, did that tranny “hunt,” not once! That’s how much torque is available. Granted, I am only towing about 7000#, but I cannot say that about the gasser (5.4l) we used to have. Only have about 6000 miles so far, and average 15 mpg (about the same as the gasser), so the verdict is still out on the alleged economy of diesel. Lots of folks say it will get better with mileage…
I have limited experience with diesel, but I would say it is personal preference, just be sure to get a ¾ ton truck. I keep my vehicles for 10 years, so I may have a stronger opinion a few years from now, I am optimistic that diesel, and the Allison, will prove itself in the long haul.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've had both gas and diesel, including a V-10. They all get the job done. I live in rural CO and heading north, east or west, I have to go over passes as high as 11,000' My 06 GMC CC with a 6.0 and 4:10 gears pulls Wolf Creek pass and Lizard Head Pass without any problems. My rig is an '06 25' Safari. My average mileage from Durango to the Springs over Wolf Creek Pass was 12.1 MPG last month. Empty, I can squeeze out 15 MPG running the speed limit.

I have gas delivered to the house 250 - 300 gallons at a time and it's always a nickle less than at the stations in town.

If I was using a truck to make a living, diesel would probably be my first choice. For recreational and personal use, gas is far more convenient from my point of view.

"There are two things a man lies about; his gas mileage and his sex life!"
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
My 2 cents worth:
I went from a 1/2 ton quad cab with a hemi and 26 gal gas tank to a 3/4 ton with a Cummins diesel and a 34 gal fuel tank. The biggest effect was on a long trip. The better fuel mileage and the larger tank meant that I was not always looking for a gas station with easy access for the trailer. You could almost see the needle moving down while towing. The daily use of a diesel is of course a personal choice. I was initially leary of the noise and smell, but now I really like going spark-plugless.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I am thinking of buyiing a new 2008 Super Duty F-250. Instead of the new 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel, I am considering the V-10 gasser. I pull a 28' CCD International (7300 GVWR), so the V-10 should be adequate. For improved mileage, I'm thinking I need the higher gearing/lower ratio rear-end (4.10). I also plan on having a Banks Power Pack installed to help with the performacne. My question is, would this be a good alternative to the diesel? Am I analyzing this correctly? The cost of a gas engine (even with the Banks upgrade) would be less than the cost for the diesel engine. Also, the fuel cost per gallon between regular gas and diesel fuel is significant. Would like feedback from anyone that has some thoughts and advice. Since we live on the west coast, we will be traveling up and down steep grades.
With the V-10 you will NOT need the turbo unless your power hungry. You will find the V-10 more than adequate with power to spare. People who have not driven the V-10 just don't know. I am going to be a bit abrasive here to some but I am a fleet manager and have all of the BIG THREE. When people tell me the Allison is better than the Ford auto....they have never reasearched anything ...period. The Allison is a great transmission and its built by GM. Fords auto is also a great transmission. Matter of fact the torque rating for the Ford auto is higher than the GM....look it up. The V-10 will last at least 250,000 miles with proper maint. And will cost you much less in maint. The REAL WORLD fuel milegae is about 2 MPG less than diesel. We have 2 V-10s with over 250,000 on them with only a water pump and 4 fuel injectors replaced. The standard gear ration is the super duty is 4.1 and will meet your needs fine. You can opt for the 4.3 also. The other gear ratio Ford offers in the super duty is 3.73. With your tailer load there will be not significant hills you can't go over with the cruse controll set at 70 with throttle to spare. I am mean that with all seriouness. The V-10 will serve you well.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I want to add one more thing. For anyone who tow's or drives a truck to the grociery store. Don't spend your money on aftermarket add ons for power or fuel mileage. Very few do much for mileage. Save your money unless you have lots to burn. If you have money to burn you should not be concered about fuel mileage. But most are concerned. The new diesels are going to be even more complicated. They will probably be better than the old ones though. Some people are concerned about ride and comfort. Buy a car...don't go Rv ing if you don't like the ride of a truck your mentallity isn't suited for A TRUCK. I am not trying to offend. I am trying to tell people that ALL trucks today are as good as the person who drives them. Buy what you like and feel confident in. Don't take just anyones word. Fuel mileage is lied about more than and singel comodity. I had a guy come in and tell me HIS Dodge Ram 1 ton Cummins was getting 21 mpg. I looked him in the face and said..with a smile and friendly grin....I will buy your truck for 5 grand more than you paid for it...now lets go for a MPG run..I will buy the gas....I took a thosand dollars out of the safe....and handed it too him...its yours if you prove it gets that kind of milegae...he got mad and stormed out..HIS wife grinned at me...and shook HER head.. ...of course HE was lying.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I am thinking of buyiing a new 2008 Super Duty F-250. Instead of the new 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel, I am considering the V-10 gasser. I pull a 28' CCD International (7300 GVWR), so the V-10 should be adequate. For improved mileage, I'm thinking I need the higher gearing/lower ratio rear-end (4.10). I also plan on having a Banks Power Pack installed to help with the performacne. My question is, would this be a good alternative to the diesel? Am I analyzing this correctly? The cost of a gas engine (even with the Banks upgrade) would be less than the cost for the diesel engine. Also, the fuel cost per gallon between regular gas and diesel fuel is significant. Would like feedback from anyone that has some thoughts and advice. Since we live on the west coast, we will be traveling up and down steep grades.
B&J - From your post you seem to be mostly interested in the vehicle for towing. For that reason I would recommend the DIESEL - the power range and torque of the F250 Diesel in my opinion (and you get what you pay for there) are what you are looking for. I have a V10 at work and in Mississippi flat land driving I am not so impressed compared to my personel F250 7.3L diesel.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
And for that reason I said results may vary. Tow/haul the way I understand it raises the shift points so that each gear is carried to a somewhat higher speed -- don't know that it'd really affect transmission function at cruising speed.
Point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
When people tell me the Allison is better than the Ford auto....they have never reasearched anything ...period. The Allison is a great transmission and its built by GM. Fords auto is also a great transmission. Matter of fact the torque rating for the Ford auto is higher than the GM....look it up.

I can only say that you find Allison transmissions in a lot more than GM trucks. There is a reason for this I would think.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have two cents too!

I have been 100% happy with my Duramax/Allison. My mileage agrees with others' comments - 14 towing and 19 otherwise. The torque is such that backing and hitching is a breeze - low idle and foot on the brake will move the rig very slowly - never any need to touch the gas pedal to get the rig to move. My travels take me frequently on I-81 through the valley of VA (long ups and downs) - you can set the cruise at 65 and the rig never needs to downshift; this reduces fatigue of the driver.

As for fuel vs gas - diesel at this time of year competes with home heating oil - same refining line. You can look for prices to begin falling relative to gasoline after the winter begins to wind down.

Oil changes - service interval is 10k miles; you don't have to wait that long, but clearly every 3k is overkill.

If you buy diesel, be sure to buy the truck you want to live with for the long haul - so get a nice one. The longer you keep it the longer it will pay dividends. If you buy what you want to begin with, you will be happy.

For long trips, or just a lot of trips - you'll enjoy hauling with a diesel.

OK - maybe that was 3 or 4 cents worth.

Pat
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
On the Ford V-10, I test drove one in an F250 before buying my '01 2500hd Chevy with 8.1 engine. There was a big difference in the performance of the 8.1 over the V-10 in my opinion and that was why I bought the 8.1 Chevy. I know that Ford made some improvements in the newer V-10. I sure hope so because it didn't seem to be able to get out of it's way for the '02 model year.

I think you will find less transmission downshifting with the diesel engine in front rather than the gas engine.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
On the Ford V-10, I test drove one in an F250 before buying my '01 2500hd Chevy with 8.1 engine. There was a big difference in the performance of the 8.1 over the V-10 in my opinion and that was why I bought the 8.1 Chevy. I know that Ford made some improvements in the newer V-10. I sure hope so because it didn't seem to be able to get out of it's way for the '02 model year.

I think you will find less transmission downshifting with the diesel engine in front rather than the gas engine.
Hi, and yes the chevy has more power and you are compareing 6.8 L against 8.1 L . But you may notice for some reason the V-10 gets a lot more power in the motorhome chassis.

Bob
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 AM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I am thinking of buyiing a new 2008 Super Duty F-250. Instead of the new 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel, I am considering the V-10 gasser. I pull a 28' CCD International (7300 GVWR), so the V-10 should be adequate.
hi b&j

perhaps you've looked at the specs for 2008 already....

here they are.

2008 Ford Super Duty F250 F350 Technical Specifications

the 3.73 will get a tiny bit better mileage and either 3.73 or 4.10 wil tow your rig fine...

the v10 is more than adequate for towing your 28 footer or anything else a/s makes.

my 250 is a diesel. i like the diesel, but the v10 will do the duty just fine.

with your expected towing miles, some basic fuel price points and service costs, you could run the numbers and get a pretty good idea of the dollar differential....

that would not however account for resale/trade-in value for the 2 powerplants....

trying to calculate which is cheaper over time is tricky....

the 2008 looks great but IF you really wanna save money, buy a 2006 now or a 2007 (very hard to find)...

ford has 5-7,000$ incentives right now...and the v10 really doesn't change much for 2008. 06/07 pricing is very very good...

cheers
2air'

i really like the 'banks products' but would not suggest adding this on a new v10.
power and torque are already adequate.
mileage will not improve much if any and you will place the 5yr/100k warranty in jeopardy...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Just my $0.02 worth if you put the Banks system on the gas truck you will have an investment equal to the price of the diesel and you won't get your money back. The V-10 will pull a 34' without difficulty. My choice would be either gas un modifed or diesel. I had the banks on my cummins because I needed it and I loved it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, and yes the chevy has more power and you are compareing 6.8 L against 8.1 L . But you may notice for some reason the V-10 gets a lot more power in the motorhome chassis.
Bob
Bob, I tend to forget that the V10 is indeed a smaller engine. I guess I get caught up in the fact that I think 10 cylinders would add up to more cu.in. than the V8. I wonder if Ford is doing what Chevy has been known to do, use some type of torque management via computer in order to keep down stress in the driveline. I would definately think that Ford as well as Chevy would know that they need additional power to move heavier equipment so they pull some of the stops out in the larger chassis applications.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote