Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Diesel SUV for 23' or 25' FC

Hi friends...a newbie, working on the tow vehicle issue before I purchase my AS. Looking at the Mercedes Benz GL series, Volkswagen, or? It looks like the top weight for any of these is around #7000. to #8000.# Are the earlier Flying Clouds lighter than the new ones? Any thoughts on this would be great. Don't want a truck as it won't fit my current lifestyle. Initially, it looks like diesel is the way to go for mileage and engine wear. Do the luxury SUV's have the proper necessities to tow efficiently? Not even sure what ??? to ask. Thanks in advance. This is a great forum and I have learned so much from all of you!
atheness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
San Diego , California
I have a 2014 GL350 BlueTEC with a 2015 Airstream 19', no problems towing at all. You feel the trailer, but it doesn't struggle at all with about 4500 lbs. I've heard on the Mercedes forums that 7500 lbs is still an easy tow with the BlueTEC GL. Hope it helps, and check out the Mercedes forums.

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
This vid will give you a good idea of what they are capable of. Also think about the connection hardware and adjustments. Most rigs on the roads today are not properly attached.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree, having enough power is one thing, but a proper hitch system is very important. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Holland , Ohio
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel

I have a 2015 23FB, I am using a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel tow vehicle. What a great vehicle. Quiet, powerful, very comfortable and best of all Made in America. Check one out a dealer your are going to love it.
RCLOUD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
FYI, Mercedes Benz GL is made in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
We saw a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee towing a 23' Airstream in the mountains above Los Angeles two weeks ago.

Great looking setup.. Seemed a well matched pair.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414521885.620827.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	225305
Sometimes they tow 30's to Saint George Island. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I tow my 30' Flying Cloud with my VW TDI. I have same objectives that you have -- compact, efficiency, and lifestyle. No problem, plenty of torque, and with right WDH and reinforced hitch setup. ProPride for anti-sway and WD. Tekonsha RF for brake control. I used Can-Am to reinforce VW hitch.

mje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
List of all diesel SUVs that fits your description, and not in order of preference:

1) VW Touareg TDI
2) Audi Q7 TDI (this one, although inherits same 3.0L V6 diesel from VW/Porsche, it got different tranny and transfer case - an older version and is heavier as well as longer body) - has lowest towing capability due to less available carry capacity. If Audi has copied the underpinnings and drivetrain from it's siblings, I would have gone with Audi instead of VW based on the appearance.
3) Porsche Cayenne Diesel <-- if you have a deep pocket
4) Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel <-- most affordable. Be wary of the videos "Moose Test", at first it fails the test miserably, but Chrysler took action on it and tweaked Jeep and is fine now.
5) Mercedes Benz GL350 BlueTec (same underpinnings as Dodge Durango)
6) Mercedes Benz ML350 BlueTec (same underpinnings as Jeep GC)

Jeep GC and MB ML350 has slightly less towing capability than VW Touareg/Porsche Cayenne and may not be good for 27' and 30'. I'm really pushing it with my VW Touareg with my 30'. I would not even consider towing a Classic.

Non-diesel SUVs, you will open door for more choices:
1) Porsche Cayenne S <-- it got a new turbocharged V6 which puts out 400+hp and 400+lb-ft and have slightly more carrying capacity than it's diesel siblings.
2) Dodge Durango <-- go with Hemi 5.7. Penstar V6 may be ok, but has low torque at 260 lb-ft.
3) Jeep GC V8 (same as above)
4) MB GL450/ML550

I'm sure there are more to list, but from here, it goes off from your set of objectives.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I was thinking over the same things you were this summer.....and chose not to go diesel.

I needed 7 or 8 passenger space, so that rules out the Touareg, Porsche and Jeep. The Audi can carry 7, but it's tight and there's no storage space when carrying 7. Audi's out.

All that was left was MB. And I don't need to be seen driving a MB. Wrong image. Also, I've had German cars, and have loved driving them. I have not loved repairing them.

Furthermore, I computed that the benefits of the diesel were only going to kick in if I was towing A LOT each year. Maybe a fulltimer would see significant savings, I was not.

So I got a used 2012 Nissan Armada for reasonable money. I do pine for a diesel in a full-sized non-german SUV, though......I'm excited to hear that Nissan has a diesel ready to go in the next Titan truck, which is like an Armada. We'll see. Oddly enough, if I could get a diesel in an Escalade, I might do it.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Also - Great to see these pics of Touaregs and Jeep GC's towing 30' Airstreams. This gives me confidence that my Armada (heavier, longer wheelbase) will handle it just fine, when the time comes. (Don't worry, I am a card-carrying member of the WD and SC Fan Club)
Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
eric' do you plan to carry 7 or 8 passengers and the Airstream as well? I doubt the Armada has the payload capacity for both at the same time, but maybe that's not what you need.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
I was thinking over the same things you were this summer.....and chose not to go diesel.

I needed 7 or 8 passenger space, so that rules out the Touareg, Porsche and Jeep. The Audi can carry 7, but it's tight and there's no storage space when carrying 7. Audi's out.

All that was left was MB. And I don't need to be seen driving a MB. Wrong image. Also, I've had German cars, and have loved driving them. I have not loved repairing them.

Furthermore, I computed that the benefits of the diesel were only going to kick in if I was towing A LOT each year. Maybe a fulltimer would see significant savings, I was not.

So I got a used 2012 Nissan Armada for reasonable money. I do pine for a diesel in a full-sized non-german SUV, though......I'm excited to hear that Nissan has a diesel ready to go in the next Titan truck, which is like an Armada. We'll see. Oddly enough, if I could get a diesel in an Escalade, I might do it.
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "I don't need to be seen driving a MB. Wrong image." I think MB are pretty but would not own one for myself -- my wife has one though. Also, when it comes to repairing cars, I think it varies. I think VW Touareg (and Cayenne), the current generation, is pretty solid and I hope that they last for a long time - to back up the value of these SUVs.

I forgot about BMW X5 diesel, add that to the list. I think BMW has very sharp styling, but I don't trust reliability of these cars.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
eric' do you plan to carry 7 or 8 passengers and the Airstream as well? I doubt the Armada has the payload capacity for both at the same time, but maybe that's not what you need.
Speaking of payload, given that both Touareg and Grand Cherokee Diesel have payloads of around 1100#, I am guessing that both vehicles pictured are exceeding their payloads (on top of possibly exceeding their tow ratings, GCVWR, hitch rating, and axle ratings). But, a CAT scale ticket would prove me wrong.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Also - Great to see these pics of Touaregs and Jeep GC's towing 30' Airstreams. This gives me confidence that my Armada (heavier, longer wheelbase) will handle it just fine, when the time comes. (Don't worry, I am a card-carrying member of the WD and SC Fan Club)
Definitely, Armada is a fine SUV for towing and carrying cargo. With either ProPride or Hensley, you can tow it up to 30' Internationals. Not sure about Classic, but possible if you keep your SUV very light (i.e. nothing in the back, and just you and your wife).

I really don't understand why Dodge has not put in their V6 diesels in Durango despite they do it in GL350 and in Ram 1500 trucks. MB went further by putting in 2.1 liter diesels in ML250 but I expect it to have less towing capability than the ML350 but not by much. The V6 diesel SUVs and 1500 Ram trucks are selling like hot cakes right now.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
All that was left was MB. And I don't need to be seen driving a MB. Wrong image.

We'll see. Oddly enough, if I could get a diesel in an Escalade, I might do it.
Funny thing. My view is that being seen in an Escalade is just wrong. The wing nut blonde next door to us drives one. not
Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
To answer a few questions:
Yes, I have had 7 passengers in my Armada, with towing the SOB trailer I have now. I have small kids. If I upgrade to a 30' airstream, I'll have to check my payload, go to the scales.

I have a sales job where driving around a 'Benz will broadcast the wrong image. It's just my opinion, and also my impression of MB. I live in a town where flashy cars are not received well.

My thinking with the Escalade comment: If an Escalade came with a honkin' big diesel, I could overlook the flashiness, and could possibly justify it more easily because of the reduced service costs over a MB.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
Definitely, Armada is a fine SUV for towing and carrying cargo. With either ProPride or Hensley, you can tow it up to 30' Internationals. Not sure about Classic, but possible if you keep your SUV very light (i.e. nothing in the back, and just you and your wife).

I really don't understand why Dodge has not put in their V6 diesels in Durango despite they do it in GL350 and in Ram 1500 trucks. MB went further by putting in 2.1 liter diesels in ML250 but I expect it to have less towing capability than the ML350 but not by much. The V6 diesel SUVs and 1500 Ram trucks are selling like hot cakes right now.
The Toyota Tundra will be coming out with the Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel in the 2016 model year. The Cummins 5.0L v8 diesel is the same one to be used in the Nissan.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Quote:

The Toyota Tundra will be coming out with the Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel in the 2016 model year. The Cummins 5.0L v8 diesel is the same one to be used in the Nissan.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote