Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Question diesel performance

while getting my 2001 ford diesel serviced yesterday the mechanic told me if i put in an aftermarket chip it would improve my performance as well as increase my mpg...does anybody have any feedback?....
banks?
hypermax?
etc.?
thanx...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Yes,

A chip will get you more hp, as far as mileage goes I wouldn't expect a huge gain. Most of us hop the diesel up for more power but when doing so if you get too radical then you will need additional parts to handle the extra hp, guages, exhaust. My 95 has got a Superchips reprogrammer in it which is what I'd recommend for your Super Duty. You can change the settings with it, with a chip you are stuck with whatever program it has.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
super duper

actually i am satisified with my 7.3 turbo...but the thought of better mpg is enticing...doesnt the chip also lock the trans converter?..... and improve towing?....and tell me about this super duper reprogramer...havent seen that one...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The reason that your factory chip produces the power that it does, is two-fold.

One, it prevents overtemp and overboost under most circumstances, so drivers don't have to watch gauges. If you chip, make sure you install EGT and boost gauges first, and watch them like a hawk under heavy power application. Even the so-called "towing" chips and programs can easily overtemp the turbo.

Two, it limits the engine power to the rating of the drivetrain components. For example, on the 4R100, that's 1000 ft-lbs on the input shaft. If you multiply the stock 525 ft-lbs times the 1.82 multiplication of the torque converter, you're there. Exceeding the rating doesn't necessarily mean instant failure. It just means that the mean time between failure will be shorter, and the probability of failure will be higher.

That's why Ford can void your engine and drivetrain warranties (but not things like the radio), if you chip or reprogram. Ford is notorious for doing that.

The gear an auto tranny puts you in is dependent on road speed and throttle position. With a chip, you're injecting more fuel (and making more power) at each throttle position for each given speed, so for any given power need at that speed, you're using less throttle. Using less throttle means the tranny is less likely to unlock the torque converter, or downshift. If there's any mileage gain, it is due to that.

The stock 7.3L PSD produces more than enough power to tow a 10,000 lb triple-axle, and the Duramax and new 6.0L PSD produce even more, especially at higher rpm.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
damn mo....you always dazzle me with your brilliance.....
norby

Old 12-06-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
We have the Western Diesel chip in our 97 Powerstroke,for the past 32,000 miles.As for torque increases, there's a noticable change between 1,600 to 2,500 rpm. As for improved mpg.,we haven't really seen any increases,in ether city, highway,or towing. If you plan on getting more than a chip for your truck,plan on getting some additional gauges,even just a chip increases operating temps.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I can't take credit for that, Norby. The tranny info is from the selfless contributions of a Ford transmission engineer on the RV and Ford Diesel (www.thedieselstop.com) forums. Some is also from the crybabies who hot-rod their truck and then whine when Ford won't reimburse the dealer for the repair. If you're gonna play, be ready to pay.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

diesel performance

I read a news release that the 2004 1/2 Ramcharger diesel will have 600 ft.lbs. at in a usable range (not specified).
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I have read somewhere on the internet ( can try to look for it again if interested )
That there is a system that injects porpane in a diesel engine
it suposed to work great and give more than enough extra HP when needed
Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

For porpane injection, try www.bullydog.com.
Good reviews on another site.
Jim
Texas
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Glendale , Arizona
Wink how about Banks upgrade for 5.9 Cummins Or??

Great imput on Ford...anyone familiar with upgrading the Cummins 5.9 (94 Vintage Rv)...??...exhaust, cooling , Banks upgrade AFE Performance air filter, Aero Tubine Performance muffler or...tryping to sort the hype from the real life experience...
dene57k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
while getting my 2001 ford diesel serviced yesterday the mechanic told me if i put in an aftermarket chip it would improve my performance as well as increase my mpg...does anybody have any feedback?....
banks?
hypermax?
etc.?
thanx...
norby
Is the truck power train still under warrenty? It will void it.
Want better milage back off the throttle. Re-programming for better milage requires leaning out the mixture. Not good unless you can watch the Exhaust gas temperature(EGT). To high and you damage the engine. More power more fuel. That can drive the the EGT up as well. The computer is maintaining a fine balance. You will be messing with it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
RoadKingMo was accurate in what he said. I run a 7.3L with a DP Tuner chip with 2 extra setting, one is a 60 Tow setting that does change fuel maps but also does a great job of changing the shift points for better towing acceleration but more importantly it hold the torque converter locked much longer providing safe engine breaking in the mountains and less heat into the tranny. I don't hot rod my truck, but the power of custom chip is significant - my MPG unloaded on 80 Economy is about 19.5 mpg at 70 mph - towing I am about at 14 mpg.

If you decide to chip gauges are a MUST have, I'd have them even if I didn't have a chip. The 7.3L is a very capable and well designed motor - it can handle responsible power upgrades easily. That said - you can make some great improvements without a chip too - intake, exhaust and check your up-pipe and intercooler boots to make sure you're not loosing boost.

Finally - don't be confused by issues 6.0 motors have - the torque-flex head bolts and EGR issues are individual to those motors and are exacerbated by heat.

If you're thinking about a chip - call the guys who are doing the programming - most are very knowledgeable and provide intelligent data driven information.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Is the truck power train still under warrenty? It will void it....
probably not.

this thread is 6+ years old till 2day.

a true zombie thread on fords, bumped to ask about mopar?

cool.

and as i recall norby has an E350 van with 7.3 or did.

these have slightly different plumbing that the F series, although moe's advice was great then and still is now.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My bad. I should have read the date on the first post.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
The date caught me too, I saw 12-06-0 something and thought it was just a couple weeks old. Funny how the computer throws these things in once in a while.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote