Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Diesel Oil change over fill?

Brought in the DuraMax for annual service last week. I always bring my own synthetic as the dealer does NOT have syn for diesel (so I was told). I buy syn in gallon containers; 3 gal= 12 quarts.
I always ask the dealer to place the remaining two quart back in the truck. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t (no big deal). Last week, they did not.
Preparing for an upcoming trip, I checked the dipstick, it is over the “Full” mark. I am now concerned that they dumped the entire 12 quarts in. The DuraMax is rated for 10 qts w/filter change.
Will over filling a diesel cause any harm?
Will it just burn off?
Truck is running fine, no visible smoke, etc.

Thanx, Bill
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Diesels are similar to gas engines when it comes to the lubricating oil. I believe the problem comes from the crankshaft dipping into the oil pool since it is too high, causing splashing and sloshing, adding air to the oil. I believe this is referred to as "foaming" the oil. Pull the dipstick while it is running and check for bubbles.
I would get that 2 quarts back out.
The easiest way might be to use one of those oil change pumps where you snake a tube down the dipstick tube and pump it out with an electric drill powered pump. That way you don't have to deal with the drain plug and trying to get it back in after only 2 quarts.
Good luck!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Add one of these . It will be easy to change your oil or drain off any over fill FUMOTO ENGINEERING I installed one on my F350 and it makes oil changes easier and withno mess.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Add one of these . It will be easy to change your oil or drain off any over fill FUMOTO ENGINEERING I installed one on my F350 and it makes oil changes easier and withno mess.
That will only work the Next Time the dumb dealer over fills you.

Use the tube down the dip stick method and get the extra oil out ASAP as foaming will occur every time you drive.

If they did not give you the extra 2 quarts they either dumped it in the engine or kept it. In either case I would lok for a new place to get the oil changed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi billtex...

how much OVER the fill line...

engine hot, and a tad over isn't unusual.

however i agree with the advice to SUCK a quart or 2 out the top and recheck...

i've had the same issue, when providing 4 gallons of syn to the dealer.

now i keep a spare empty gallon jug and provide the service guys with the 3 full jugs and exact partially filled 4th...

which means any OVER filling by the service folks takes a LOT more effort...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You also chance the engine crankcase not breathing properly and causing oil leaks around the seals. I would just get a drain pan, wear a short sleeve shirt, have a rag or two handy and pull the plug. It is not hard to do this procedure, just a little messy. Make sure the engine has cooled off overnight.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
You also chance the engine crankcase not breathing properly and causing oil leaks around the seals. I would just get a drain pan, wear a short sleeve shirt, have a rag or two handy and pull the plug. It is not hard to do this procedure, just a little messy. Make sure the engine has cooled off overnight.
Please do not try this at home as a means of draining off 2 quarts of oil. Once you open the drain you will not be able to insert the plug while the oil is draining without making a real mess. Diesel engine oil stain does not come out so anything you are wearing will be toast if you spill on it.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
how hard would it be and how much oil would come out when removing the filter?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This would be a long drawn out process. The filter holds less than a quart and you can not just drain it once removed because of the back flow valve built into the filter.

If you had an old filter and were willing to punch a hole in it just inside the O ring you could put it on, start the engine then remove it and drain the oil, replace it for another pass.

If I remember the oil filter in a D Max is not located in the best place for this.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Brought in the DuraMax for annual service last week. I always bring my own synthetic as the dealer does NOT have syn for diesel (so I was told). I buy syn in gallon containers; 3 gal= 12 quarts.
I always ask the dealer to place the remaining two quart back in the truck. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t (no big deal). Last week, they did not.
Preparing for an upcoming trip, I checked the dipstick, it is over the “Full” mark. I am now concerned that they dumped the entire 12 quarts in. The DuraMax is rated for 10 qts w/filter change.
Will over filling a diesel cause any harm?
Will it just burn off?
Truck is running fine, no visible smoke, etc.

Bill Tex...I have a 2006 GMC with the Duramax diesel. In GM's Duramax Manual it states the following: "Notice: Do not add too much oil. If the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper range, the engine could be damaged." I would drain the oil down to the correct level.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
You could also bring it back and demand that they do it correctly with your choice of oil , and also ask them to return the two extra quarts that you supplied . Then find another place. They have no excuse , they're the professionals .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
You could also bring it back and demand that they do it correctly with your choice of oil , and also ask them to return the two extra quarts that you supplied . Then find another place. They have no excuse , they're the professionals .
Sure wish it was that easy. Last summer a Chevy dealer in Ct destroyed my diesel engine against my requested orders. I ask they NOT to START the engine. but to remove the converter cover and if that was OK remove the pan and check things out. 2 days later they called me and said I needed a new engine. I asked how they determined that. They said the started the engine. In doing so they broke the crank in 2 places. I had no recourse, they are "Professionals".

Thats is why I often suggest that you never trust a "Stealer"

Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Sure wish it was that easy. Last summer a Chevy dealer in Ct destroyed my diesel engine against my requested orders. I ask they NOT to START the engine. but to remove the converter cover and if that was OK remove the pan and check things out. 2 days later they called me and said I needed a new engine. I asked how they determined that. They said the started the engine. In doing so they broke the crank in 2 places. I had no recourse, they are "Professionals".

Thats is why I often suggest that you never trust a "Stealer"
I hear you , it should have read " suppose to be the professionals"
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Hi Bob, I did call them and they were very accomodating. Problem is; they are an hour from here, I am leaving Saturday, and don't really have the time to go there/back, etc.
They offered to drain and replace as needed. Of course, over the phone, they could not verify if this actually happened.
I just know, the dipstick is over the x-hatch marks. I did NOT get the extra 2 qts returned and yes, the manual of course, says “do not over fill”. It is difficult to say how much over it really is without having any “evidence”.
I will drain it down myself tonight, just don’t have the time to get back to the dealer.
In truth, they are a pretty good dealership to work with. In this case, I can’t really say there is a problem…there is potential…I have no proof…just a bit paranoid I guess! They offered to make good, that’s all I can ask.

Thanx All, Bill
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
wendnesday morning quarterback here.....
i guess we should all check the dipstick before we leave after the service.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Bill , didn't realize the dealer was that far away . If you loosen the drain plug very slowly it will start leaking before it comes all the way out . You'll have to judge 2 qts , then you can tighten the plug again . This way you won't loose it all .Don't do this with the engine hot , it's going to get on your hand. Before the next change get one of those Fumoto valves as mentioned before , it makes it so easy you may decide to change your own oil. Good luck
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
wendnesday morning quarterback here.....
i guess we should all check the dipstick before we leave after the service.
Lost a rear differential because a mechanic forgot to put the plug back in after checking the fluid level , so yes check the dipstick after an oil change.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Bill , didn't realize the dealer was that far away . If you loosen the drain plug very slowly it will start leaking before it comes all the way out . You'll have to judge 2 qts , then you can tighten the plug again . This way you won't loose it all .Don't do this with the engine hot , it's going to get on your hand. Before the next change get one of those Fumoto valves as mentioned before , it makes it so easy you may decide to change your own oil. Good luck
My hesitations with the drain valve are.

The Ford plug is right on the bottom of the pan. I have had a rock knock the drain valve off my water tank on the trailer. Losing all my water is not the same as losing all my oil.

Second the flow rate through this drain , even when the oil is hot is quite slow due to the small bore in the valve. If you are going to change your own oil just get under there and pull the plug.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:

Hi Bob, yeah, that is what I did…tough to say how much came out, looked to be a quart before it hit the cross hatch , so I don’t know if they really did put the 2 quarts extra in or just forgot to return it to me.

I usually do my own maintenance, but being as this truck is new, and really only gets serviced once/year (it is not a daily driver) I like to bring it by the dealer for a good look-over.

All ready to go, I’ll be heading up your way; Ossipee area for a week, then up to Connecticut Lakes area-can’t wait!
Trying to get back to Russell Pond too, maybe late August-what a great spot!

Bill