Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Diesel Mini Vans a reality soon

Hybrid and diesel-powered minivans are just around the corner, starting with a Dodge Grand Caravan that will almost certainly be built in Windsor.

From the article.... "The Mercedes diesel puts out 200 horsepower and an overwhelming amount of torque - in the range of 400 foot-pounds, Omotoso said. But its fuel economy is less than stellar, at a combined city/highway rate of about 35 miles per U.S. gallon"

Link... Chrysler readies for hybrid, diesel minivans
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Hybrid and diesel-powered minivans are just around the corner, starting with a Dodge Grand Caravan that will almost certainly be built in Windsor.

From the article.... "The Mercedes diesel puts out 200 horsepower and an overwhelming amount of torque - in the range of 400 foot-pounds, Omotoso said. But its fuel economy is less than stellar, at a combined city/highway rate of about 35 miles per U.S. gallon"

Link... Chrysler readies for hybrid, diesel minivans
I will take one. 35 MPG beats the 23 MPG on my 1998 Chrysler Town & Country. Maybe it will tow a small Airstream.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It may not be a heavy hauler, but it's a start.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I was all excited, til I noticed the article was dated from July of last year..... and new news about the diesels? I'd love to see one made, especially as I'm in the market now....
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Many vehicles here in Europe are diesel powered. The Fiat sedan I'm driving gets 50mpg, runs strong, and doesn't stink. It's a little underpowered to be a tow vehicle, but I'm definately a diesel fan!!!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It certainly would be a positive step if it happens. I am unsure though that with the current rhetoric that it may be built in Canada. I think right now only GM still has any Canadian commitments to staying as per this recent article talking about Chrysler in Canada:

reportonbusiness.com: Chrysler ups ante, sketches out a plan to exit

It's not inconceivable that production could be placed elsewhere as has been the case with exporting builds from the US to other parts of the globe that can produce a vehicle less expensively (understanding that less expensively does not necessarily mean built better). I would hate to see this happen because there area about 10k workers that hang in the balance, yet I can't see the Canadian Government handing over more than 2 billion dollars to Chrysler and get all the concessions from the CAW that they want. Chrysler pulling out of Canada may very well happen.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
I was all excited, til I noticed the article was dated from July of last year..... and new news about the diesels? I'd love to see one made, especially as I'm in the market now....
Marc
Whoops, I missed that part Marc ( July of last year). Wondering if the project is still in the works.

Our Nissan Mini Van had 150hp/180tq. Having an extra 50hp and an additional 220 ft/lbs of TQ would be overkill but "sweeeet".
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Whoops, I missed that part Marc ( July of last year). Wondering if the project is still in the works.
I seriously doubt it, but we can always hope!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
From Austrailia where the Chrysler Mini is already sold with 2 diesel engine options...

"Chrysler Voyager

The Chrysler Voyager is simply massive. It can cope with carrying seven people in comfort with lots of room to spare. This superb people-carrier is one of the best in the business and weighs in at nearly 2.5 tonnes. A large vehicle without a doubt, but the design of the Chrysler Voyager still has nice lines and an attention to detail that gives an overall sophisticated appearance to this machine. The neatly shaped lights fit sweetly against the trademark large grille of modern Chrysler cars. The massive body still has balance in its design and the overall refined appearance is finished off nicely with some stunning alloys.
Available with either a 2.4 litre petrol, 2.5 diesel or a 2.8 diesel, the Chrysler Voyager is a powerful workhorse that is refined and responsive."

link.... Chrysler Voyager review : Private Fleet :
Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Dzul minivan (maybe "medi-van" if not exactly "mini")=Dodge Sprinter. You can buy this today...just ask lewster.
Great TV for smaller AS'.

Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
While it certainly would be interesting to have more TV options with diesel engines, there is more to towing than HP and torque. The chassis, suspension, brakes, etc. all matter too. Generally speaking, we are better served having truck chassis and other components in our TVs than components designed for lighter-duty use hauling children to soccer practice.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Generally speaking, we are better served having truck chassis and other components in our TVs than components designed for lighter-duty use hauling children to soccer practice.
I disagree. Car-based SUVs and minivans often have shorter stopping distances than truck-based vehicles. They also typically handle better with a lower center of gravity. In other words, they're dynamically safer for the 90% of the time they're being used without a trailer.

That said - yeah, when you're towing a 25' or so trailer that is around 6500lbs loaded, you're basically at the point of having a truck-based tow vehicle. Still, vehicles like a Mercedes GL or VW Touareg show that there can be exceptions.

For those who want something to tow smaller trailers, a properly designed unibody tow vehicle can certainly be safe and durable.

Back on topic, given the financial state of Chrysler since that July article, I'd doubt we'll see diesel or hybrid minivans here that soon. Nissan recently backed off of their diesel Maxima and Acura is pretty much over the idea of importing the diesel TSX. A lot of bad stuff has happened in the industry in the last 6 months.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote