Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Diesel Jeep Liberty and `61 Tradewind

Thanks to all of you who provided input and pointed out what I should think about, read, do and watch for (you know who you are).

You CAN tow a 24' Tradewind quite handily with a diesel Liberty! The Reese anti-sway and Prodigy brake controller worked wonderfully on the highway with semi's rolling by and crowded suburbia with the requisite knuckleheads filling in the nice cushion of space and time I try to give myself. The trailer seems to be in great shape, tows well, stops well and of course, is Very Cool.

Granted it wasn't slick with rain, we'll cross that dam when we come to it, but so far so good. Now for the color pallet to make it as mellow on the inside as on the outside

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

What Speed?

Were you able to tow on the highway?

I'd only be careful on the slick roads, if you have enough power, so be it. On the bad weather days either sit still or take it at 45-50MPH and be aware of what distance you need to keep out of trouble.

Its the weight- you should be at about 3200# and thats well over a 1000# less than a new 22' Safari.

They're great trailers- TW's- really nice size and that year is a sweet one to have- great quality. Hope you enjoy it!
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Glad its working out for you Henry. Post some pictures when you can. Yeah, TradeWind's rule!!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Speed?

I maxed at 58 and stayed at 50 - 55 for about an hour. What amazed me was the ability to use the regular (overdrive) range and have more than enough enough torque.

I went thru the trailer today and discovered: I can't find the 12-110v circuit panel. there is but one box with a 20A ac circuit and one that says GEN (I think that one means "general" cuz there is no generator) I also discovered that the lighting fixtures seem to have a 12v bulb and a 110v bulb and separate switches on the fixture. Is that the way these work? I also discovered that none of the switches seem to switch anything on and off, one outlet is hot with improper ground. The vent fan doesn't seem to work. The floor seems solid under all of the things that throw water and I finally figured out how to operate the gaucho couch to make the dbl bed.

I'll get some pictures up when I get a moment - I've been doing 12 hour night shifts since last Thursday. I think the battery is behind the propane tanks but that box has a bolt through the latch AND the tanks are in the way - I want silver aluminum ones anyway. Speaking of propane, I think I'll leave that investigation to someone else. The stove, h2o heater and furnace are all original.

I could blab on, but enough already. This project is going to be deep and today my wife said she wants me to do one for her sister - on someone else's dime.....I want to know that someone else too!

Henry
Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Towing in overdrive

Pay attention when towing in OD. If you transmission constantly shifts in and out of OD while towing you will burn up your transmission. Better to tow out of OD. ( I am a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge technician)
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
good post!
My owners manual shows a photo of a 75 Chevy wagon as the tow vehicle.
Surely your Jeep will out torque, out pull, out stop that Chevy.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Henry ~

The dual voltage lights are fairly standard on our era of trailer. Do the 12v ones light up? The vent fan is quite possibly a 12v unit and won't work if your battery is either missing or dead. If your battery is functioning, then the fan could be frozen and need a good cleaning and lubing. I'll bet its the lack of juice for 12v though.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
bulbs would be helpful

All of the (1) 12 v bulb was blown - I'll bet the battery is toast. Is it really in that box on the front?

Judging by the condition of the rest of the trailer my bet is that the fixtures work. I plan on looking for maximum 25w bulbs to preserve amp hours.

Now if I can find out what those switches control......

Henry
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Is yours a CA or OH made trailer? Post your serial number if you're not sure. Where are these switches located that you keep referring to? Hint/hint: pictures would help.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
I- 241d689

Finally got some time to get these pix up. Found the battery & have to move the tanks to get it out of there. There must be a better way.....and was thinking of getting new tanks - silver, aluminum...but what size?

These are general shots of the interior / exterior and switches and outlets.

Just tried to upload attachments and they are all too big. I'll find a way though

Henry
Old 07-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Henry..question

Henry..what is your opinion about towing late model 19 - 20' airstream safari or CCD, with the liberty 2.8 liter turbo diesel? SOme other guy discouraged me on this site because the vehicle has 1100 lb. load capacity, however....a 1/2 ton pickup truck only has a 1500 lbs load capacity. Specs say...vehicle will handle at least 700 lbs of tongue weight. Thinking about buying a Liberty, please give me your opinion. I believe the 19 ft is about 3600 lbs dry. How is your mileage towing the Tradewind with the Liberty? Hope to hear from you.
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I tow my 60 tradewind with my 68 travelall and It can be done without the
trailer brakes ,NOT recommended ,point is these trailers can be towed by
alot of different vehicals ,the liberty is a small vehical to tow a trailer of
the size of a 24 footer ,alot of weight behind you .Many larger trailers
have been towed behind cars ,trucks etc. If you lose control of the rig
in some way ,loss of trailer brakes ,well you get the idea ,make careful
decisions on the tv as it is not just if it can pull it ,can you stop it?? better
yet can you control it ??

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Well Stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
If you lose control of the rig
in some way ,loss of trailer brakes ,well you get the idea ,make careful
decisions on the tv as it is not just if it can pull it ,can you stop it?? better
yet can you control it ??

Scott
I have seen a Ford Explorer V-8 towing a 31 A/S, but a weak link would be the TV's wheelbase, and transmission. Handling in all situations would be the most important consideration. We can't control the weather conditions or other drivers where we might have to make an emergency swerve to avoid something.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
yes agree silverhobby ,and I realize that not everyone wants a suburban .
but the explorer with a 31 footer wow ,the trans is weak the brakes are small
the engine can pull it .But a small wheel base rig will always be a small
wheel base rig ,thank goodness for reese, really as it does make a difference.
does not make a small tv into a big one .I have had to hit the brakes in a hurry and make a quick manuver and I was rattled by that controlled
experience anyway .The rig handled great but no fun.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:56 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrest2
Henry..what is your opinion about towing late model 19 - 20' airstream safari or CCD, with the liberty 2.8 liter turbo diesel? SOme other guy discouraged me on this site because the vehicle has 1100 lb. load capacity, however....a 1/2 ton pickup truck only has a 1500 lbs load capacity. Specs say...vehicle will handle at least 700 lbs of tongue weight. Thinking about buying a Liberty, please give me your opinion. I believe the 19 ft is about 3600 lbs dry. How is your mileage towing the Tradewind with the Liberty? Hope to hear from you.
Hi Stonescrest, saw your other post about towing with the Liberty. I didn't jump in because all the others pretty much spelled it out for you. But now I see that you don't yet own a liberty but are considering purchasing one as a TV. I am sure they are great vehicles, very cute. I have owned three Jeep CJ's over the years-and will get another some day. But if you have not yet purchsed a TV, then I would not be considering a Liberty as such. Just because you can move that much weight ("mfr tow rating") doesn't make it a safe choice. That short wheel base is an accident waiting to happen. All the folks here are just trying to help you avoid a tragedy. If you want a liberty then get one, but consider something else for a TV, Even an older truck you can put aside and dedicate for towing...

Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote