Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Diesel Fuel Economy and Performance

So I got a new(er) TV, brand new to me 2008 Dodge 2500 diesel with 43,000 original miles. I posted this thread hoping to get some advice about fuel economy. I just got her home.

I would like to start with the emissions particulate filter. I have heard contradictory info about removing the EPF*. I have heard it will improve mpg and I have heard it will reduce mpg. I have also heard removing it improves general performance. What do you think?

*And yes, I know removing the EPF is illegal. I have heard diesel exhaust particulates are heavy and settle out of the atmosphere rather quickly. Also, if the EPF filter reduces mpg and you burn burn more diesel what does that do for air quality?

Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Diesel Fuel Economy and Performance

Nice buy!!

I'm assuming you bought a 4WD with automatic transmission. Even with such low miles the truck is close to eight years old. And the 4WD has concerns with front end, steering, etc over the longer term. Needs investigation to find known fixes ( as with any brand).

I don't think any of these are of immediate concern -- though I'd quickly install either Bridgestone Duravis or Michelin LTX tires -- I believe that performing all services through and past 100k makes is if more immediate concern. As well, an engine valve adjustment.

Improving FE is farther down the list. Doing an emissions delete requires a tuner to run the truck. EFI LIVE is the preference. See CumminsForum.

An aftermarket fuel filter kit. Glacier Diesel or Vulcan.

ODYSSEY batteries (or private label Sears that is the same, but at lower price), TITAN replacement fuel tank and a Class 5 TITAN 45299 hitch receiver. Direclink brake controller.

I added and recommend a rear antiroll bar (one has to replace the front with a larger size to compensate); and Hendersons Lineup has a Panhard Rod. They also carry KONI FSD shocks (best aftermarket choice, IMO).

Alignment is often not ideal. Ball joints are a weak point. Etc.

Use CumminsForum to research. Knowledgeable contributors include: Cerberusiam, AH64ID, STEELHEAD, and some others. A fair thing to call them expert.

In other words, investigate the full range of fast wearing parts and known quality upgrades prior to being concerned over fuel economy.

In order of importance would be fuel filtration, alignment and book service. Second would be brake controller, hitch receiver, tires and shocks. All the direct impingement towing concerns.

Goes without saying that a VPP hitch is the best bang for the buck. It helps remove adverse affects of winds, traffic and road surfaces as to FE. (As Centramatics plus Hunter 9700 balancing plus an axle alignment also add incrementally. FE is all about small stuff once the rig is bought).

Now, all that said, when I bought my 2WD man trans 305/555 motor 2004 I went and looked for comps. In the South Central US, with trailers of our type from 28-35' and weighing 7-11k lbs, the range for early Third Gen HPCR Cummins was 14-16/mpg highway from 55-63/mph as reported. I found a dozen examples.

This is not significantly different from earlier CTDs. Nor from Fourth Gen trucks with DEF tuning. The interim trucks (2008-2013) are lower in mpg. Less sophisticated emissions controls and tuning. Sort of like 1971-1974 big block gassers if you remember those.

The record holder for fuel economy has an '08. And it is deleted. It will take time to sort best tune. So get the rest, have a budget for saved fixes found online, and get around to FE afterwards.

The lack of depreciation on these trucks has already paid the fuel bill. As well as everything else.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I don't have your answer. Not even any driving time with an '08 cause mine is an '05. But we are allowed to offer opinions.

Here's mine.

Leave it alone.

Enjoy it as built, learn its strengths and weaknesses. Save the expense of mods.

My Dodge forum is www.tdr1.com not super active but as Slowmover pointed out the names above are also well experienced and I'll add Sag2 to the list.

As a sorta must have, get a spare fuel filter, learn how to change it and carry it in the truck. Nothing wrong about the Dodge setup its just insurance for a bad tank of fuel that hopefully you'll never need but having it will make you your own hero.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I will certainly check out the above forums links.

The PO kept a record of everything and was religious about maintenance. His wife religious about keeping the truck purdy. The truck was never really worked. Only towed once, he says. but I can't find a scratch anywhere.

It has Michelin LTX tires with 500 miles on them, Stratapore Filters, Amsoil synthetic gear lube, Bilstein shocks and front stabilizer, Class IV receiver hitch, 750 amp maintenance free battery, jake brake, and Bluetec Diesel Badge.

I put on a Primus brake controller since it did not have one. Also put on running boards, so my wife and dogs can get into the truck, and front and rear mud flaps.

I am considering changing engine oil to synthetic when I run out of the extra oil the PO gave me. What do you think? What does "Blutec" signify with the Cummins? I will try using my Hisky WD hitch with my Airsafe Class V to smooth out the road shock for now and see how it goes. I pull several Airstreams and what I understand about VPP hitches you pretty much need one for each trailer you pull since the work involved in putting the hitch on is considerable. If I were to change WD hitches I think I would look at a Blue Ox. My bigger trailer is a 34 footer which weighs in about 9000#. A class IV receiver hitch is supposed to be good to 10,000# so I think I am OK. What do you think?

Being a diesel neophyte and helpful hints and recommendations are welcome.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Are you using a Husky Centerline? If so, I'd like to hear your comments but on a separate thread.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Are you using a Husky Centerline? If so, I'd like to hear your comments but on a separate thread.
Sent you a PM
Old 07-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Blue tech is just the name for the emissions systems.

As to oil I prefer T6 Rotella 5W40
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I wonder why they put a Class IV hitch on it vs. a Class V??

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Blue tech is just the name for the emissions systems.
Is Bluetec an option vs. the standard emissions system?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
I wonder why they put a Class IV hitch on it vs. a Class V??
So, given the class IV receiver hitch is rated at 10,00 pounds, and I will be pulling about 9000# will it be adequate? Is there a standard Class of receiver hitch installed on pickups?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
I have a 2009 Dodge Mega cab, 4x4 Diesel. I have removed the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and all other emisions control devices (EGR,NO2 filter, Catalytic converter, stock muffler). A programmer that will remove the emisions system from you ECU or ECM (Engine control Unit) is needed to remove these devices and are hard to get as more and more companies that make them are being closed by the EPA.

I saw an increase in MPG dependant on the level of preformance improvement I set. I have options of 0 horse power gain over stock to 120hp gain. For just MPG improvement the higher HP setting are best for MPG gain (when driven normally, if you can't keep your foot of the gas pedal you will use much more), but the higher settings put more stress on other components. I run a "tow" mode that has 60hp gain whe towing and a "street" settting other time (90 hp gain). I increase my MPG from stock 14-18 to 18-25. I drive very consevative and this calc is Gallons to Miles by hand not by the metter in the vehicle. We just completed a 5100 mile trip from MA to Colorado in June and averaged 15.5mpg for the whole trip. Towing our 25ft flying cloud. My truck did not get as good MPG on the Bio diesel blend in the mid west.

The programmer I used is from H&S Performance (no longer available) and I replaced the exhaust with a full 4" stainless from turbo to tail pipe. The EGT (exhaust gas temp) is reduced by removing these devices and this puts less stress on the engine. The vehicle does not go into "Regeneration Mode" because this has been removed. ReGen in the 2007-2010 Dodge consited of injecting raw diesel fuel into the exhaust stroke, which pushed in into the exhaust igniting in the DPF to burn of the crude. This also washed the cylinders of oil and diluting the crankcase oil. Means shorter mileage between oil changes. Removal of this system allows for more extended oil changes with oil analysist allowing 12-15k under most conditions.

I don't know if I would remove this system on a newer or new truck with Urea injection. (or under factory warranty)

I did it to allow the engine to breath better, MPG improvement was a pleasent side effect. I am looking for longerlife from the engine with less potential heat inducced problems. ( I got 300k out of my 2001 Dodge Cummins and hope to see as much)

Good luck
Joe D
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
So, given the class IV receiver hitch is rated at 10,00 pounds, and I will be pulling about 9000# will it be adequate? Is there a standard Class of receiver hitch installed on pickups?
Lumatic, most 3/4 tons come with a class V hitch. The class IV has a nominal 1000 pound tongue weight capacity. Yours should have a sticker on it showing the capacity with and without weight distributing hitch.

I believe RAM is now putting a class V hitch on the 2500s. I believe the other manufacturers do as well.

Do a little searching on "hitch classes and capacity" and check your sticker out. I would be interested to know what your sticker says for capacities.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Lumatic, most 3/4 tons come with a class V hitch. The class IV has a nominal 1000 pound tongue weight capacity. Yours should have a sticker on it showing the capacity with and without weight distributing hitch.

I believe RAM is now putting a class V hitch on the 2500s. I believe the other manufacturers do as well.

Do a little searching on "hitch classes and capacity" and check your sticker out. I would be interested to know what your sticker says for capacities.
My title says my 93 34' Excella weighs 8900 (Wt/ wheels) and 9900 DGVW.
Two other sources ( including the mothership) Says trailer weighs 7100 pounds with an 800 pound tongue weight, so I am assuming I am ok with a class IV receiver hitch.

Other than a bar code sticker there is no sticker on hitch on the Dodge. The receiver hitch is one 3 or 4 inch tube bolted to the truck frame at the end of the frame members. It is not a rectangular type hitch.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
My vote,, Rotella T6,,, 5w 40.. The best sync oil made to date.

Carry and know how to swap out the fuel filter on the side of the road.. Its not if,, but when that event happens at the worst time.. Trying to run them with a plugged filter just eats up the inj. $$$$$ pump.. Ask me how I know?

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote