Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have an 09 Dodge diesel truck. Same as yours just a little newer.
If you decide to keep the truck stock like I have make sure it has all the newest flashes to the ECU for the emission components.
The problem with this early emission system is that it pumps too much EGR (exhaust gases/soot) back into the engine. The system does work but...... it is really tough on the variable vane turbo. Be careful using this truck as a grocery getter with the stock emissions in place - that's when they have troubles. My first turbo went at ~40k miles and I was extremely careful not to have long idle times or short driving distances, etc......
If you use the truck for towing the emissions should not give you any issues. If you decide to delete the emissions use the EFILIVE system. I can find you some info on this if you want.
If you keep the stock emissions in place it is not worth the expense to use synthetic oil. I change at 5k miles and use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 (has the "C" cummins emblem on the label). 3 Gallons - I recently bought a 5 gallon bucket of it at Autozone for $40. I can usually find it on sale for $12/gallon at Napa.
My truck has 3:73 gears - the sweet spot for towing on the interstate is ~65 mph - you will only drop a gear on the steepest of hills. I set the cruise and just drive.
The Bilstein shocks work very well on this truck (and other vehicles for that matter).
Keep an eye on the OEM ball joints - yours will be worn out soon. When they go bad use Carli or Dynatrack ball joints. There is no payback to cheap ball joints - they won't handle the weight of the engine.
Steering - I have a steering gear box stabalizer - This is a cheap mod to get better steering and life from the steering gear box.
Fuel filtration - The OEM filter is pretty good - as others said carry a spare. I recently had a factory Mopar secondary filter system installed on the truck near the fuel tank. The filter head is heated for cold weather operation. I installed this for extra water stripping capabilities as fuel systems are expensive on diesels.
Air filter - stay with the Mopar filter - it works well.
Brakes - if it ever needs brakes use Mopar OEM pads - not Mopar Valueline brake pads. Big difference in quality. Most seem to get over 100k from the OEM brake pads.
There is one grease fitting on the front driveshaft for the double cardan joint. It is hard to find - rotate the driveshaft/flashlight - you will need a special adapter for your grease gun.
Geno's garage sells parts, filter kits etc.... for these trucks.
I look forward towing with my truck as it powers up the hills and the exhaust brake controls the decent on the other side - the ride is enjoyable, it really shines when towing!
Lots of good info on the TDR site. Cummins forum has info but there are lots of kids there too........

Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1986 32' Excella
St. Petersburg , Florida
Diesel Fuel Economy and Performance

Interesting info... We have a 2008 Chevy HD 3500 crew cab 4WD with the
6.6 Duramax / Allison trans. 98K and almost broken in. I had to get my
turner and goodies from Canada. Motor Ops. 5 stage. Also, put on a
Magnaflow 5" stainless steel exhaust system on from the block back,and
a AiRaid cold air system. Performance is outstanding, fuel mileage is up
25% and it feels like your not towing anything. We have a '86 32' Excella
(restored) "Stella" Hope to see you all on the road.....

yenko302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My 07 with 6.7 , auto 4/4 has 91000 miles , all towing my enclosed car trailer and 31' 2013 classic with no problems, average coast to coast is a little over 12 mpg, the front end is good as is the transmission and engine, it doesn't need fancy shocks or the removal of the emissions system.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I hooked up my new to me 08 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins to my 34' triple axle Excella for a quick shakedown. Towed great, The only small issue is the receiver hitch sits higher than my F 250. My WD hitch cannot be adjusted any lower but I am pretty sure a hitch fabricator can make it work.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote