Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

Pulling a 25' Classic with a 2004 Duramax/Allison. 15 mpg or more when pulling at 60. About 14 mpg when pulling at 65. 19 to 21 around town.

No aux fuel tank, but I often wish I had more than the 26 gallons. One nice thing is that I dopn't mind carrying a can of diesel fuel under the bed cover of my truck. Even a 2 gallon can is 30 miles towing the trailer in an emergency.
I really looked hard at the Duramax/Allison combo (I believe that is going to be a premier towing machine) but the deal Ford came up with on their 7.3 was considerably less than what GM would do on their comp. unit (3/4t-crew cab/etc.). As I had been told, your mileage is better than our '03 F-250 7.3; 17-18 hwy. solo <70mph @ >70mph it drops fast, 12-14 easy towing (~3500lbs), not yet rated w/safari 25. We too have the small tank, 26g but ave. 22 gals on fill-ups. That's only 300 mi. before we're desperate. I'm looking at a 42g in-bed aux this week...I'd really like to be able to go a full day on the road without needing fuel.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

I was bothered by the small tank in the Chevy diesel as well, but have come to realize that 300 miles of towing is all the continuous fun I can stand. And then there is the matter of my own personal on board tank, which has to be emptied from time to time.

I have come to find the limited fuel capacity to be an inconventience - never more than that - two or three times a year.

Mark

Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
...And then there is the matter of my own personal on board tank, which has to be emptied from time to time.

I have come to find the limited fuel capacity to be an inconventience - never more than that - two or three times a year.

Mark
That's GOOD ! One reason to have the world's best 'porta-potti' in tow while you travel !

Debbie & I are recently retired and will be spending a lot of time on-the-road. That is the main reason for the aux tank search.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Craig,

I've been watching that closely. There are some folks that feel the muli vein system might be a major source of failure. I was reading on The Diesel Forum that the multi vein system was tried before and had mixed results.

Me, I'm waiting and seeing what happens and I am particularly intersted if the rumors are correct and GM will start to offer the Duramax/Allision combo on the rest of the 3/4 truck line (IE, Suburbans and/or Tahoes),

I too get a kick out of the keeping up with the Jones' mentality. I think all three make a great truck. From there it's a personal preference. Me, I'm b HUGE GM fan, but I wouldn't rule out something better when the time comes. I will say one thing about the Dogde Cummings diesel, it is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. We here one startup on the other side of the rustic campground we frequent. We all looked at each other and said "Dodge". Sure enough, the oil burner came along with a 5th wheel in tow.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:00 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm on vacation so....

Quote:
We all looked at each other and said "Dodge". Sure enough, the oil burner came along with a 5th wheel in tow
i have to deal with diesels every day at work, internationals mostly and a few older gms and a noisy ford or two. we don't use dodges.

the last thing i want to do is listen to or deal with one when on vacation.

i'll stick with my gasser too!

if i fulltimed or got one for a rediculusly low price i might reconsider, but not right now.

john
Old 02-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Cool Seat of the pants testing

Before I bought my Silverado (04 2500 HD D/A 4X4) I tested all the models from the big 3. I liked features on all of them. The Ford and Chevy dealer were next door to each other so I was able to really compare the two trucks. Multiple F250's (6.0) exhibited turbo lag off the line. The Duramax was already down the road (sideways one time). Ye Hah!! I know the Ford has more power on paper, but in the real world... Also the Chevy dealer was willing to deal and the Ford dealer wouldn't budge. Combine that with the Allison tranny and I'm a happy Chevy guy today. Oh yeah, towing is a dream (especially with the extending mirrors). As I'm not even close to being really broken in (vs. Chevy manual break in) my MPG is high 14s. Much better then my Tundra.
KL
Old 02-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
chug knock chug knock.....

do i say thank you lord, or is there a designated angel watching over me....my 2001 E-350 super duty van is just that...super..with the 7.3 turbo and a 3.55 rear, it has towed admirably....fuel consumption aint great...but maybe its not broken in yet ...the only thing that pissed me off, was the lack of insturmentation...even if its a van and not a p/u...it should have been included in the trailer tow package...either way, i would have purchased it...happy motoring!...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
norby,

how does that diesel sound inside the van?

rock in a coffee can ring a bell? i have a lifetime supply of ear plugs if ya want some!

john
Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
its really not bad at all..turn up the radio a little bit...set the cruise control, and its just like riding first class in a 747.....only problem is ...no stewy to bring a cocktail....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 02-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by john hd
norby,

how does that diesel sound inside the van?

rock in a coffee can ring a bell? i have a lifetime supply of ear plugs if ya want some!

john
My Duramax is super quiet at idle and when running down the road. Even the load of the Clasic doesn't make it noticeably more noisy when towing. The Allison keeps it steady at 1900-2000 rpm and apparently the exhaust cancels at that speed so that it is really quiet.

The only time that the Duramax is noisier than a gas engine is at very low speeds in a campground or when when accellerating the trailer from a stop; even then it isn't any noisier than my 5.3 with the Banks system was. I actually enjoy the little diesel "chuckle" I hear when at speed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Pahaska,
"chuckle" is my new word for the day...
norby

Old 02-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
Pahaska,
"chuckle" is my new word for the day...
norby
Best description of the sound that I can come up with. Very quiet on the flats and increases a bit on the uphills.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
A Chuckle!

I like that ! Actually we have been very pleased with the interior lack-of-noise level in our F-250. I thought noise-level was something we'd have to sacrifice but have been more than pleasantly surprised with how much of a non-issue it was.