Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
Diesel additive

I think Gas vs Diesel as a tow vehicle will never be resolved .I have a diesel and thats what I going with.My Question is based on something a guy told me at a rest stop along I 75 this winter .
He told me that since they took the sulfur out of the fuel the only way to get the milage one used to get is to put in additive that lubricates your injector pump and increases the cetane rating of the fuel .
How many diesel TVers are putting additive in ? Do you think its working and is its worth the money ?
BTW .I have used additive since I bought my cummin 9 yrs ago and the injector pump still went .To the tune of $3200.I just wanted to see whayt others are doing
tom
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

In my 1996 7.3 Powerstroke, I use 5 oz of Power Service and 10 oz of 2-cycle ashless fuel-mix oil per 15-gallon-per-tank fillup (2 tanks per fill).

The Power Service has been used since I bought the truck, to clean injectors and add cetane.

The 2-cycle began when they started the 15ppm ultra-low-sulphur fuel last year, to add lubricity.

I don't know if it all works, but have had no problems so I hate to stop my magic charms now.

It's never been in the shop except for an alignment so far. I still average 21 mpg at 70 mph solo, and 14.5 mpg at 60 mph towing my 6000-pound home.

Lot of advice out there.

Good luck.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though that sounds great for a 96, can one still do that will the new diesels that have converters, EGRs, etc?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Stanadyne!

Can't say enough good things about it. Restored the 10% mileage loss I got when ULSD appeared, and the engine runs smoother also in my '04 Sprinter.

1/4 ounce per gallon of fuel, which translates to about 5 ounces per fill-up for me. A 64 ounce bottle goes for about $16, so that figures out to be about 12 tanks per bottle, or $1.35 per tank.

Not a bad expense when it saves about $8 in fuel costs per tank........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
When I bought my 99 cummins the dealer told me just to run straight fuel .Last year when the injector pump went ,he blamed it on the fuel ,I told him that I was going to run home heating oil they haven't taken all the sulfur out of that yet .He said "not a bad idea"
I like the idea of the 2 stroke oil .It can't hurt
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have run Stanadyne for the last 10 years. My last diesel I had not run an additive and frequently saw water in fuel lights. I get 75 % of my fuel from the same station so when I looked into the change, between the 2 trucks, I called Stanadyne and questioned if they had a water sequestering agent in the additive. They said the additive is not advertized as such but does in fact have a sequestering agent in it.

My comment on water sequestering is based on the fact that when I removed the old mechanical fuel pump from my 1987 diesel I found the lower section of the pump clugged with rust scale. The pump was the lowest component in the fuel system and that is where the water collected, just before the injection pump. Rust was not the best thing for the old injection pumps and even worst for the newer ones.

I can't comment on any milage changes as a result of using an additive but would recomend the use for lubrication and water removal.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've primarily used FUEL POWER FP-60 the past half-dozen years, and switched this last year to the -3000 blend. I use this in both gas and diesel vehicles and have no fuel-related problems. Mileage is as high, on the diesel, as any I see posted on about [4] forums.

Lube Control

I also use the complementary LUBE CONTROL LC-20 in the oil. This formulation has been around for about sixty years (with improvements), and it was widely used once on Air Force piston engines and out in the oil field. I remember my dad, with his contacts in that area, buying and using it forty years ago.

I haven't done an oil analysis yet on this engine, but expect, as always, to see good numbers; with the fuel additive and added lubricity, I hope to see the injectors last a very long time.

I occasionally use Stanadyne to change things up, but cannot tell a difference. REDLINE, AMSOIL and SCHAEFFERS all make premium additives.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote