Old 09-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
DIC warning message

I have a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 equipped with
The tow package and an the ITBC. I tow a 2016 AS Classic. On a recent trip west after 1300 mikes the DIC displayed the "check trailer wiring" followed immediately by the "trailer connected" message. A few times the brake gain display went blank and trailer brakes didn't work. I had chevy dealer put a new 7 pin receptacle in but the problem continues. Only appears to happen when driving. AS and dealer say it is a truck problem (grounding or a short) and Chevy says the same thing but it is on the trailer side. Any thoughts.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinari47 View Post
The tow package and an the ITBC. I tow a 2016 AS Classic. On a recent trip west after 1300 mikes the DIC displayed the "check trailer wiring" followed immediately by the "trailer connected" message. A few times the brake gain display went blank and trailer brakes didn't work. I had chevy dealer put a new 7 pin receptacle in but the problem continues. Only appears to happen when driving. AS and dealer say it is a truck problem (grounding or a short) and Chevy says the same thing but it is on the trailer side. Any thoughts.
One possibility is that the electrical contacts on the plug can sometimes fail to make contact. Try cleaning them with either an emory cloth or contact cleaner and then use a silicone dielectric spray to keep moisture away from the contacts.

ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:

I have the same TV-trailer combo as you. This happened to me once and never again. I figured it was a bad 7pin connection. I have been using contact cleaner spray often since then and giving an extra "push" when I connect. Of course, neither of these 2 behaviors may be doing anything useful. I plan to follow this issue close.
Ed
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Same with me happened quite regularly. Cleaned with emery paper and made sure that the contacts gripped well onto the receptacle. So far never has happened again.
WBCII #7863
Roadroamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I had the same issue with my 2015 2500HD, especially if it was cold outside and the trailer harness was stiff. Taping the plug to the receptacle and securing the cable to the trailer frame in such a way the cable put no stress on the receptacle was the only way I was able to completely eliminate it. Some say it's because the receptacle is mounted upside down on GM trucks thus making it more difficult to maintain good contact if there is any stress placed on the connection.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First thing to do after you see a message about a random disconnect is to give the 7 pin connector a good shove into the socket. I would not panic and pull over to do so. If the connector moves a bit to seat it's self, that gives you a pretty good idea what may be going on. If it's still solidly seated, that heads you off in other directions.

Bob
Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Ours is an older GMC with the built in trailer brake and we have had more than our share of problems with it! Sometimes issues with e the trailer, s ometimes with the trailer brake equipt installed on the truck itself.

The message you get on the DIC will be different depending upon whether it thinks the problem is with the trailer or truck.

Ours has been fine now for a few years so I don't remember exactly, but I believe that
the message you got is telling you the problem is with the trailer itself (could also be the 7 pin plug connection)

If it diagnoses a problem within the truck the message is something like "Check trailer brake system." At least it was on our 2008 truck.

It did tell us at one point that we had a problem actually on the trailer - turned out to be a magnet wire torn loose. I guess the system monitors either the resistance of the four magnets, or maybe the current flowing in order to assess a problem.

For a couple of years I would get erratic messages and chimes warning me of a problem with the trailer brake system on the truck itself. It would sometimes happen when towing and sometimes with no trailer attached.

I was back many times to the dealer in attempts to resolve - it got pretty frustrating.

Eventually they replaced the related computer and also a relay located on the truck frame near the drivers side rear wheel (at my expense!) and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I was just about to give up on it and try to disconnect it in favour of an aftermarket controller.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
You have an interface problem and both your truck and Airstream contribute to the issue. Neither will take full responsibility.

I don't have the time to re-type my answers to a previous post of a similar issue, but recommend you read these posts:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1888780
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1888888

In fact, you might want to read that entire thread. I can confirm that an intermittent connection at the trailer receptacle is one of the factors that can cause the symptoms you are observing on a GM truck.

Possible permanent solutions are:
1. Changing the trailer plug (on the trailer) to an SAE J2863 compliant design (i.e. Pollak).
2. Changing the receptacle orientation on the truck to "cover on top".

If you cannot do these, the following two things can reduce, but not eliminate, the chance of problems:
1. Make sure the plug is fully inserted and check it at every stop to see if it has vibrated out a bit, and if so, push it back in all the way.
2. Wrap a velcro strap around the plug and receptacle cover to restrict vibration induced movement and stabilize the interface.

I do not recommend dielectric grease as a long term solution, because it attracts dirt and grit.

Good Luck.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Thanks for all the responses. Tried everything (but didn't replace existing plug with the Pollak plug. Plug does seem very heavy duty and it is not molded and has exposed screw) but issue remains and has escalated to include an intermittent loss of trailer brakes. After checking the junction box under the couch and finding no issues, pulled trailer with another vehicle and also got the error message so problem likely lies with trailer. Pulling drums and checking magnets and wiring into drums. Heard from AS and they recommend disconnecting the factory controller and adding an after market brake controller. Spoke with etrailer rep. He suggests adding the brackets controller but also using a trailer connector adaptor (part# 20142). This plugs into the tow vehicle receptacle and you then plug the trailer plug into the adaptor. According to etrailer the LED lights cause "chatter" that confuses the factory controller and the adapter is intended to address that. All told total cost would be something around $250 not including what I owe the local AS dealer for his time. Seems like belt and suspenders, but it may be my only option. If I have to go this route, I plan tho have the after market controller dealer installer to avoid any warranty issues. Stay tuned.