Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I've spooked enough deer in the woods to know without a doubt that their hearing is excellent. That said - I can hear a car 300 yards or more away from me when I walk down the road - and that's the ones without their boom blasting radios going full tilt. Still, the deer around here get hit or worse hit the cars on the sides as they go down the road. I have to honk the horn sometimes to get them off the road ahead of me at night from my job. I have little faith in whistles on the front of a car doing 70 mph scaring a deer off the road.

They are creatures that live by past experiences, not many hear a whistle, see a car and get smacked and get up to tell the rest of the heard "Hey, watch out for the fast moving odd looking wolf thing with a whistle, they hurt real bad......".

Just my thought - BTW the car or truck grill alone makes all kinds of high frequency noises you and I cannot hear as the wind rushes by the front end at speed. That's what alerts them and they freeze in the headlights.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Back in the late 1980's or early 1990's Car and Driver magazine did a report on these deer horns. It seems The Maine Highway Patrol and the New Hampshire Highway Patrol tested them by putting the horns on half of their patrol cars. After two years they found that the cars with the deer horns hit as many deer as the cars without the deer horns. They said "they may hear them but they aren't moving"....

Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
From the for what it is worth department:

Deer evolved in an environment where the things that kill them move about 30mph. MY guess is that they are not all that great at estimating how to avoid things that move at twice that speed, hence, the surprising number of deer that run into vehicles. But that is surmise on my part.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
I put them on my truck for a trip to Alaska because the advertisement said the deer would raise theri head when they hear the whistle. In 13,000 miles of travel not one deer raised it's head but I didn't hit one either. Maybe the deer were busy and didn't have time to raise their heads or maybe they read the ad too and were just messing withme.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Jfowler did you drive the towvehicle in your picture up there? I like it
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
My guess as to why the number of deer strikes by vehicles has gone way up is the over population of deer in the areas where we live - which by the way is everywhere. I now hunt in areas in Mississippi where 30 years ago there were few - if any - deer to be found. My wife's uncle killed his first deer at 26 and lived on the land we hunt near McComb, MS all his life. He never shot a deer in his youth, and only had a few stories of people who did. Now, I could "harvest" a deer every day of the week I spend "harvesting" up there every winter. There are way too many deer and way way way too few "harvesters".

4 years ago on the NASA test site where I work, the MS Dept of WFP slaughtered - note I did not say harvest - 2500 deer (and 1500 pigs but that is another story) in a WEEK. Left them to rot. The number of deer stikes on the site had gone through the roof. Located in a very rural area of Hancock County, MS - the test site had over 300 deer/vehicle encounters a year - and the road in and out is a 4 lane highway with a large median strip - no curves to get the jump on them. The darn things just kept appearing in the roads - not all were young - I had seen many 10, 12 and even a beautiful non-typical 15 point with greater than 225 B&C points that would have looked great on my wall. Now, the site proper is only 8 miles across and then there is the buffer zone (they test all the rocket engines here) which is all or mostlly all hunt clubs as it cannot be developed for safety. That is an additional 9 miles to the north and 12 miles to the south of blank road. Out there the deer strikes are not counted except by us that look - and there are hundreds every year.

Back to my point - using what population statistics from college I can recall, for any given stretch of land, there will be some equal distribution of deer or any game for a given habitat type with the same distribution of resources. If that many are getting hit on the road than the woods have too many deer. Some whistle on the front end of a car is not going to warn them away from the road - they are forced there due to pressure for habitat and resources. They will be there even if you whistle in their ears as loud as you can - they are hungry. Food puts them alongside the road.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
as the population grows we keep chaseing wild animals out of there habitat. Position of those wistles plays a part also. They need to be forward most position. They make cylinder type crome ones or black square plastic ones
Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Wow, great debate on whether they work or not. I know that night the deer hit the Airstream I got over into the oncoming lane, blew my horn and flashed my headlights on top of the sound of my diesel engine. There was a buck and a doe standing beside the road. The buck lept just as I passed the two and he hit the front corner of the Airstream. I don't know if the silver Airstream faded into the sunset or if the buck was just showing the doe he wasn't chicken! Two days later on our way home we say the corpse laying beside the road missing his head. Somebody came along and claimed a prize for their living room wall without having to fire a shot. I never thought the whistles would work if all I did didn't scare them off. But, like I said, two camping magazines and the RV Road Show recommended them, so I thought for $5 or so bucks, they would be worth a try.

Last weekend I went to the auto parts store and passed three deer in the front yard on a busy street. They didn't even turn when I passed so I picked up a set for my truck and the wife's SUV, but I haven't put them on yet. That was at 3:00 PM in the afternoon, not at dusk like the time the deer hit the Airstream. The last deer I saw in our neighborhood (in fact the only one I've ever seen) was in broad daylight. Man is encroaching on their habitat and with fewer hunters these days, too many environmentalist I suppose, their population is out pacing their food supply in the remaining natural habitat. I still would prefer to frighten them away than to hit one and do damage to property and kill one senselessly. If you hunt and use the meat, that is good in my book, and environmentally friendly in my book, too. But to hit one and leave its body on the side of the road is wasteful.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
... Position of those wistles plays a part also. They need to be forward most position. They make cylinder type crome ones or black square plastic ones
I think the ones I got are square.

I was going to mount them in the openings in the bumper where my fog lamps are. I figure that gets the full force of the wind while going down the road. I thought about trying to mount a set on the Airstream too, but I don't know where I'd put them so they wouldn't get knocked off.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
forward most and they must get full wind however you dont want them sticking out in the open and I wouldnt put them on my paint either. Flaching lights at a deer may not be that good, it will get there attention but they freeze and thats not goo if they are in your lane
Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
The debate is just like whats the best tow vehicle hu
Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
This reminds me of the story about the fellow who visited the local highway department - signage division. Seems he wanted the office to relocate the "deer crossing" signs that were placed just up from his yard. When asked why he wanted the signs moved, he replied that he felt the area was just too dangerous for deer to cross at that point, and wanted the signs moved to an area where they could cross more safely.

Maybe he could install whistles.

Pat
Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
This reminds me of the story about the fellow who visited the local highway department - signage division. Seems he wanted the office to relocate the "deer crossing" signs that were placed just up from his yard. When asked why he wanted the signs moved, he replied that he felt the area was just too dangerous for deer to cross at that point, and wanted the signs moved to an area where they could cross more safely.

Maybe he could install whistles.

Pat
That was my Brother-in-Law in Poland N.Y. (yes there is such a place).

Spend the 5 bucks, take a deep breath and blow in 'em, bet ya hear a whistle.

Had a cust bring his new car in for a wind noise, took the tooters off the door mirrors and the wind noise was gone.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Best bet.... Take that piece of Plastic they call a bumper of the front... Don't put one of those brush guards on.. they will just multiply the damage... Get an ARB bumper or get one made... Then when you hit the deer, and throw it 50 yards through the air and it's dead you have dinner....and you just have to clean the fur off your SUV or TRUCK... No dents..

Wonder if they make one to replace the rock guards on the AS.. now that would be cool....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote