Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

deleteme , New York
Decided on the 26 flying cloud. Now for the tow vehicle

So ive checked out a bunch of models and am looking at the flying cloud 26 queen. Now i just need a new tow vehicle

I was originally looking at expeditions and armadas.

But now am thinking truck. I like the tundras because i love yotas. But the capacity is kind of sub par and if im going truck anyway maybe i should go f250 or similar.

What do you think?
homeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #2

Winchester , Tennessee
I too am in the market for a tow vehicle. I am leaning toward truck because I also intend to bring a generator to power AC when boondocking. Additionally, we may carry jugs of water for those hot trips out west. We wouldn't want to bring those two items in an SUV.
CHAPQUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Oregon
Our 2017 F-250 with 6.7L powerstroke pulls the 27' FC like a dream. 13.5 mpg. Plenty of capacity for generator and gear. Highly recommend!
Dave18134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
2500 HD Duramax, Allison tranny.. our 34' mule.. added a Leer top and can store all we need.. so load capacity of truck is used rather than the AS

Can't add pics anymore.. but contact me if you want pic from email
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think you should take another look at the 2018 Expedition. Proven turbo gas engine, aluminum body, and independent suspension all around gives a wide stance and stability unmatched by any pickup as well as a nicer ride.

It doesn't get any better for towing a mid-size Airstream and daily use vehicle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeaway View Post
So ive checked out a bunch of models and am looking at the flying cloud 26 queen. Now i just need a new tow vehicle.
What do you think?
I think this is a terrible place to get unbiased opinions. I too am getting the 26, and I went backwards, I got the tow vehicle first. I found exactly what I was looking for in a 2015 with only 12K miles, like new and I couldn't pass it up. Yes, I got the Toyota 5.7 with tow package.
I still read these threads, and I guess we'll never know if we made the best choice. I choose longevity over gas mileage. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton, it would sell like hotcakes. I'm not sure I'd buy one, since my Tundra is also my daily driver.

You can save some payload by getting the smaller cab, avoiding the leather and bells and whistles.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
My reason for getting a truck rather than an SUV was that when carrying gasoline for a genny or propane for a grill, I didn't want them in the passenger compartment with me and mine.

I agree that the Tundra has a VERY anemic payload and an absolutely horrendous gas mileage, so I went F-150. As far as the F-150's longevity, I will be happy with the 200,000 I can expect from this vehicle. I think a 150/1500 will be OK for you, but a 250/2500 would be better.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeaway View Post
So ive checked out a bunch of models and am looking at the flying cloud 26 queen.
According to the Airstream website (Flying Cloud floor plans web page) it doesn't look like they offer the 26U in the queen bed configuration anymore, only the twin beds.

-Alan
Cincinnati
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
My reason for getting a truck rather than an SUV was that when carrying gasoline for a genny or propane for a grill, I didn't want them in the passenger compartment with me and mine. ...
No need to carry gasoline or small propane bottles if you choose to run both a propane generator and a BBQ grill from the low pressure LPG outlet on the front of the trailer.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

deleteme , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
According to the Airstream website (Flying Cloud floor plans web page) it doesn't look like they offer the 26U in the queen bed configuration anymore, only the twin beds.

-Alan
Cincinnati

Found a leftover 2017.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
No need to carry gasoline or small propane bottles if you choose to run both a propane generator and a BBQ grill from the low pressure LPG outlet on the front of the trailer.
The Airstreams' propane bottles are a clean, convenient and safer source of fuel for the generator and grill. Easily refilled, if not enough larger bottles can be installed and if too heavy aluminum bottles are available.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post

-Alan
Cincinnati
I saw that too. However, I think they overlooked the floor plan. I've gotten prices from two dealers on the queen, and it's now called the 26RBQ, (rear bedroom queen)
If you really want to get confused look at the decor packages and explain what "Landmark/Dwell" means when you can get different countertops, both called Landmark/Dwell.

Another funky job from the Thor folks.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The Airstreams' propane bottles are a clean, convenient and safer source of fuel for the generator and grill. Easily refilled, if not enough larger bottles can be installed and if too heavy aluminum bottles are available.
Easier than a gas station?
..and then if your propane is empty, you have no stove/oven or AC.
I like the concept of a propane generator, but I'd carry a spare bottle. I still think a truck beats a SUV.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

deleteme , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think you should take another look at the 2018 Expedition. Proven turbo gas engine, aluminum body, and independent suspension all around gives a wide stance and stability unmatched by any pickup as well as a nicer ride.

It doesn't get any better for towing a mid-size Airstream and daily use vehicle.
Yes but they havent released any numbers yet right?

i know the body is 300 lbs lighter so we recoup that to payload as long as they didnt use it anywhere else.

They are claiming more tow capacity and more payload but not saying how much. If the payload limit is north of 1500 lbs Then its my first choice.

But I can't sacrifice safety.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I agree that the Tundra has a VERY anemic payload and an absolutely horrendous gas mileage, so I went F-150. As far as the F-150's longevity, I will be happy with the 200,000 I can expect from this vehicle.
See what I mean about unbiased opinions?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tundra!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
The TV I bought was a great decision.

I have a 30' International and chose the 2016 GMC HD 2500 with the 6.6L turbo diesel. I can't tell you how glad I am I went with that truck. It obviously is a diesel so it has incredible torque, 765lbs and it will pull my AS up a mountain at 1600 RPM with the cruise set at 65mph and never drops out of gear, like the AS isn't there!!!

It has the trailer brake system on the dash. I set it once and it's been perfect.

When I put the truck into Trailer Mode it changes once of my dash gauges from battery to oil temp, so handy.

It also has a gauge that shows how much brake output is going to the trailer, also very nice to have.

It has hill decent which means it will downshift and keep you from going too fast down long grades without using the brakes.

It also has an exhaust brake, or Jake brake as the big rigs call it, which slows me down on long decent without using the transmission of the brakes, this is very nice to have.

It also has very strong brakes in general with special pads to last longer and stop better.

I get 14.5mpg while pulling the AS, gas will not come close to that.

because it's diesel I can always find a nice open spot to fuel at the truck stops, never have to wait at tight crowded gas pumps.

It has a system that keeps the steering wheel set to straight even if you have a strong wind blowing at you from the side. This truck is always going perfectly straight with no effort from me to hold a straight line.

It has land departure warning. I just vibrates right or left drivers seat depending on which side of the road you may veer off to.

The HD truck is a 2500 so it has a very strong frame. Etc
etc etc

Can you tell I love this truck. It will last longer than me.
Good luck!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #18
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
Can you tell I love this truck. It will last longer than me.
Good luck!
Yes. Congratulations on it, we should all be so happy.

Just a note, a Jake brake is a compression brake, a very different thing than an exhaust brake.

Travel safe.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
We also purchased the 26 Flying Cloud. At first I towed it with a 2016 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with max tow package and Blue Ox WD hitch.

The truck pulled it ok but felt a bit light for the rig. I traded the F-150 for a F-250 with 6.7 PowerStroke...what an improvement!

In addition I have lots of GVW margin so I don't have to be too stingy with the things I decide to bring along.

I'm sure there are folks that will state it is over kill but I feel a whole lot better with the extra truck and braking power around us.
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
PS: you will love the 26U! Awesome layout and just the right size for tucking into all sorts of campground!
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote