Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I tow a 30' Classic with a Tundra with 20" wheels.
I suspect our OE tires were the Bridgestone Dueler Alena's HT which I still have.
I would love to upgrade to the Michelin tires, but they are bigger.
Do the larger tires affect your speedometer?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant View Post
What WD hitch/sway control are you using with your Sequoia?? And what tires are you running??
I use an EAZ-lift hitch. Most WD hitches work fine if they are adjusted appropriately. None work well if not. There are several YouTube videos describing proper hitch adjustment. Go ahead and do the whole process from the ground up. Youíll be glad you did!

Sway control? Ummm,... I donít think I can answer that for fear of being excommunicated from the forum. Iím pulling a 34í trailer with triple axle. It rides rock solid. Iíve towed it more than 2500 miles through 6 states, uphill and down, in all kinds of traffic, and several kinds of weather. It doesnít sway. Sequoia has TSC (trailer sway control) which uses traction control to detect and eliminate sway. Once in bad weather (without the trailer) wife said when a tire slipped, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree to alert her that traction control had taken over. After all these miles with the trailer, it has never indicated that itís fighting sway.

Michelin LTX/AS 275/65R18, the stock size tire. For best handling when not towing, you need to follow your ownerís manual for air pressure. But when towing, you need to air the tires up to the pressure printed on the side of the tire for maximum carrying capacity. This isnít about squirrely driving around town. Youíre carrying a load, and your tires need to be properly inflated for the job. Also, itís very clear that you should fill the tires when cold. This means your pressure will go as much as 10% higher when hot. Check it every morning.

(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
I've used the eazlift with two sway controls, great setup.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
As far as big trucks being hard to park, I also had a Mitsubishi Eclypse for years. Couldn't get that thing in a parking space straight any better than the one ton. Sold the mits, kept the truck. If you can't park, you can't park. I need lots of space.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
I use an EAZ-lift hitch. Most WD hitches work fine if they are adjusted appropriately. None work well if not. There are several YouTube videos describing proper hitch adjustment. Go ahead and do the whole process from the ground up. Youíll be glad you did!

Sway control? Ummm,... I donít think I can answer that for fear of being excommunicated from the forum. Iím pulling a 34í trailer with triple axle. It rides rock solid. Iíve towed it more than 2500 miles through 6 states, uphill and down, in all kinds of traffic, and several kinds of weather. It doesnít sway. Sequoia has TSC (trailer sway control) which uses traction control to detect and eliminate sway. Once in bad weather (without the trailer) wife said when a tire slipped, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree to alert her that traction control had taken over. After all these miles with the trailer, it has never indicated that itís fighting sway.

Michelin LTX/AS 275/65R18, the stock size tire. For best handling when not towing, you need to follow your ownerís manual for air pressure. But when towing, you need to air the tires up to the pressure printed on the side of the tire for maximum carrying capacity. This isnít about squirrely driving around town. Youíre carrying a load, and your tires need to be properly inflated for the job. Also, itís very clear that you should fill the tires when cold. This means your pressure will go as much as 10% higher when hot. Check it every morning.

My Tundra has TSC.
I didn't know what it was until your post.
Too lazy (or haven't gotten a round tuit) to get out the book.
If you ever accidentally push the "TSC off" button it will not come back on until you turn off the ignition and turn the ignition on again.
I discovered that quite by accident coming home from camping 2 weeks ago.
It only took me 8 years to discover that.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
I haven't seen any reference to the Ram Eco Diesel? It's 1500 3.0 Turbo with 240 HP and 420 lbs. of torque, same as the bigger Eco Boost by Ford, which is a Turbo charged 3.6 with 365 HP and 420 lbs of torque I believe. I recently purchased the Ram as the dealer loaned me one while my TV was in for repairs (JGC). I have a 03, 25 ft. Safari and this 1/2 ton truck tows it effortlessly. Here is the best part regarding daily drivers, presently, I am getting 22.3 MPG in town, and recently on a short trip to Pendleton, Or., averaged 18.5 MPG. Yes, the trailer was not fully loaded for a long trip, but for a small diesel, designed to be very quiet, I was pleased.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
El Prado , New Mexico
Recommend you at least look at the Mercedes Benz GL 350, with the Blue Tec diesel. Tows our 25 foot, 2004 Safari (GVW 6600 lbs.) with ease on the steepest highway grades, and is a great everyday vehicle when not towing. Get about 15 mpg when towing, and 25 mpg everyday driving. Not sure what the GVW of your International is, but if under 7500 lbs, this might be a fit.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
My Wife and I both have our daily drivers set up for towing. Her Mercedes is a daily driver I would have a very difficult time getting her to give up. It performs very nicely with any Airstream up to 700 pounds of hitch weight. On our site you can see it running through the slalom with a 23FB. This picture is from Nova Scotia last summer.

My daily driver for the last 8 years has been a 2004 Jaguar XJ. In may I replaced it with a 2012 XJ. This one has a Supercharged 5.0 Litre with 476 HP but because the car is aluminum it only weighs 4000 pounds so it is too much fun. One thing I find is the supercharged engine feels more responsive than turbo charged ones. For me it is an ideal car, it drives like a sports car but you can use it every day and it does not attract attention like a sports car.

Towing with it is effortless and rock solid.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Priceless 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	271821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117 smaller.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	271822  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
DuBois , Pennsylvania
My wife and I have an 06 31' Classic and tow it with a 2500 Dodge Quad cab short bed.
The combo of the 5.9 Cummins motor with the 6-speed and the 3/4 ton chassis makes pulling the trailer a pleasure. I also outfitted the truck with a Mopar sourced Jacobs engine brake to give the brakes a break on the hills.
I outfitted the trailer with a Hensley and it has performed as advertised. Fuel mileage 21-25, trips/around town and 15/16 pulling the Airstream at speed.

There are lots of options out there from cars to SUV's, 1/2 ton trucks and up.
While the TV is important, it is the combination of the parts; trailer length and weight, TV wheelbase & chassis along with a solid hitch platform that makes the difference between an enjoyable trip vs a white knuckle adventure.
Not everyone wants/needs a 3/4 tom diesel to tow with/ live with day-to-day and the trailer mfg's(Airstream included) understand that it is a SUV, 1/2 ton ish truck or car world so the trailer shorter lengths/lighter weights caters to the market.

Just a suggestion, if you have the room, consider a tow rig for a spare vehicle instead of a main use role. Either way, best of luck with your choice.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #52
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
I run the rear tires, which are factory 20" on the platinum package, up to max air pressure for long trips and always check trailer tires before and at each fuel stop. It has worked for me and thankfully have not encountered a sway issue. It feels very solid and even more so than our '01 handled which I thought was fairly solid. This second gen sequoia has an awesome turning radius compared the 1st gen.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post

When towing one is still limited to the vehicle manufacturers tire pressure range. More is not better. In fact, quite the opposite.

We've gone over this at length in threads with two participating tire engineers.

If one wants accuracy, weigh each individual wheel position on a scale with trailer attached, hitch tensioned, and passengers aboard.

The tire with the heaviest load on an axle determines cold pressure for that axle.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #54

2014 27' FB International
White Rock , British Columbia
We used to tow our 27' International FB with a Tundra crewmax ltd 5.7 and I felt it was not adequate going uphill but especially going downhill. Last year we upgraded to a Ram 2500 diesel and what a difference. You hardly notice you are pulling a trailer and going downhill is so much easier with the air brakes. I did a lot of research on this website and I thank you all for your comments. The reason I picked the 2500 over the 3500 is the difference when not towing. The 2500 has a softer ride.(coil springs versus leaf springs)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Air brakes?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #56
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Daily Driver and / or Tow Vehicle options

Exhaust brake. Technically, dirty air brake, ha!

Does the trucks integrated trailer brake controller also activate when the exhaust brake is engaged?

There is literally no more dangerous situation for a combined rig than a long steep descent. Use of the service brakes (thus, trailer brakes) is the ONLY safe way to descend.

Exhaust brake only is worse than what is implied by, "whistling in the dark past the graveyard".

The slack in the lash up is the problem. There is no stretch of roadway more likely to cause a loss of control accident due to this induced slack than a mountain descent.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote