Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
dasams.... Post #14. More information like this and we are all becoming more educated and less ignorant.

Someday a list of vehicle capabilities and trailer 'fit' will be available on THIS FORUM, some day. When that happens, we will all understand exactly what to expect when we combine a Tow Vehicle, Hitch and Trailer.

The reason why it does not happen is that we do not have a Airforum Consumer Report with chart and details for the MINIMUM or MAXIMUM capability of our choices. I would not expect Consumer Reports magazine to even attempt this... even though they have the information at their request and could print that ONE ISSUE that every trailer owner in the World would purchase...

We can only dream, can't we?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
I put Air Lift adjustable air springs on the rear of my 1995 K2500 years ago. They might provide just enough extra support for the Tundra although they do not provide significant weight transfer like a weight transfer hitch would. If asked to add too much support the air springs cause the front axle to become light enough to be unstable IMHO.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Maybe Nissan has a good answer in their "heavy half" pick up with the Cummins diesel V8. I've not even seen one yet. But I bet it is smaller than my Super Duty and would handle a 25 or 27 foot Airstream quite nicely with extra cargo room to boot. I don't think being diesel is any impediment to a daily driver.

It might be easier to handle and park in city traffic.

David
Old 09-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We are small vehicle people -- always have been. We have had sports cars, sports sedans and small SUV's our entire 40 years of marriage. We like the nimble handling and ease of parking offered by small. That's why we chose the Honda Pilot/Bambi Sport 16' combo. It is a nice blend of handling and fuel mileage, whether the trailer is hooked up or not. Sure, we would like a FC 25' some day but the thought of a large SUV or worse yet, a pick up truck, offers zero driving appeal.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"My opinion would be that if Tundra had ONE extra leaf spring it could be considered a 'heavy half ton' and handle more cargo. The engine, drive train, suspension and brakes are already heavy duty. Why not?"

How about adding a helper spring.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Someday a list of vehicle capabilities and trailer 'fit' will be available on THIS FORUM, some day. When that happens, we will all understand exactly what to expect when we combine a Tow Vehicle, Hitch and Trailer.

The reason why it does not happen is that we do not have a Airforum Consumer Report with chart and details for the MINIMUM or MAXIMUM capability of our choices. I would not expect Consumer Reports magazine to even attempt this... even though they have the information at their request and could print that ONE ISSUE that every trailer owner in the World would purchase...

We can only dream, can't we?
Can't happen because everyone's risk tolerance differs. Just above there is someone towing a 16' Bambi with with a Ram 2500 diesel while plenty of others advocate towing 30'ers with minivans.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Hi Ray,

We tow with a Ford Expedition. It tows our 27FB. Our Expedition is a 2003 so the 2 valve V8 doesn't measure up to today's powerplant. Yet it has 4 wheel independent suspension. I've never felt like it was overpowered by the trailer. Modern Ford Expeditions are more powerful and sophisticated. I think it makes a capable and solid Airstream tow vehicle.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote Ray:"Pulling the trailer was not the issue. It has always been looking at the leaf springs that seem way too minimum... maybe for the ride to be smoother like a SUV with a pickup bed.
Both were easily 'over loaded'. I would look at the leaf springs and they would be flat. I was careful not to carry heavy useless items as cargo. Even to the point that filling a five gallon water container... could have been a problem if hauled from the beginning of a trip with the trailer."

I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab similar in size to the older Tundra...wish I could have got a Quad cab version of the Tundra when I was looking in 2003.
Leaf springs on the Dakota were also marginal. I had an extra leaf and booster/support leaf added to give the rear suspension a boost. Did not have to over-stress the hitch to get my 25 Classic level after that. I have 225,000km on the vehicle about 60K of that towing. Still going strong 13 years later.
JCW
Old 09-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Can't happen because everyone's risk tolerance differs. Just above there is someone towing a 16' Bambi with with a Ram 2500 diesel while plenty of others advocate towing 30'ers with minivans.
I love being on the "edge"!
Bruce
Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I love being on the "edge"!
Bruce
Ha, Ha. Clearly! Thanks for being a good sport. I was not making fun of you just noting the differences in what people are comfortable doing.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Has anyone added "helper springs" to a 2007-up Tundra?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Howell , Michigan
TV for 26U

My wife has decided she is going to buy the 26U. It is my job to by the TV (new). I normally drive my vehicles for 15 plus years. The TV will also be my daily driver. I will be retiring in 18 months. I have been researching TVs for a long time and would love a diesel but it is a lot of money and maintenance costs scare me. The new diesels are so complicated and if you own them long enough there will probably be injector issues at some point. So I am leaning toward the Ram 2500 4X4 crew with the 5.7L VVT (the fuel rating for the 1500 with the 5.7L is 16/23 maybe I can get 14/20 with the 5.7L 2500). We will be traveling in the fall and winter and early spring seasons (probably only 3-4 month on the road each year total). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I'm surprised there aren't a lot of posts concerning your "daily driver" tow vehicle choice. You are right, diesels cost more to buy and maintain. They are also worth more at trade in time. Diesels are more efficient, more powerful (torque), and last longer. The Cummins 6 is a premier diesel engine in the RAM heavy duty pickups.

There are many, many gas V8s in 3/4 ton trucks pulling trailers. I don't know what a 26U is, but if it weighs less than 8000 pounds loaded, you will be fine and have a more economical "daily driver". You probably wouldn't want to tow a 15,000 pound fifth wheel with the V8. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are BIG and are stiffly suspended to carry heavy loads. I do tire of "horsing around" my BIG Super Duty in parking lots and city traffic. I could use it daily, but it is not as much fun as are much smaller Honda.

Others will surely respond with better comments than mine.

David
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrango View Post
My wife has decided she is going to buy the 26U. It is my job to by the TV (new). I normally drive my vehicles for 15 plus years. The TV will also be my daily driver. I will be retiring in 18 months. I have been researching TVs for a long time and would love a diesel but it is a lot of money and maintenance costs scare me. The new diesels are so complicated and if you own them long enough there will probably be injector issues at some point. So I am leaning toward the Ram 2500 4X4 crew with the 5.7L VVT (the fuel rating for the 1500 with the 5.7L is 16/23 maybe I can get 14/20 with the 5.7L 2500). We will be traveling in the fall and winter and early spring seasons (probably only 3-4 month on the road each year total). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Well, perhaps you have seen some of my other posts. I have a 2014 Tundra CrewMax and really like it. But I still often counsel others to go with a 3/4 ton if they will be doing lots of traveling like you. 3/4 mostly due to greater payload options (I would recommend choosing something with 1900+ lbs) and better braking on descents. I just couldn't find a 3/4 ton that "thrilled me" and we use the truck a bunch of the time not towing so I really wanted to like it! These trucks cost a bunch of money especially "tricked out" like I like 'em.