Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Cutaway van - utility body

Our Nissan Titan performed well during our recent trip, 3000 miles of which were towing (and packing) more weight than the '67 Overlander. That said, we really don't need a crew cab for our jaunt next year. We're also trimming storage space in the Overlander to keep the coach more open and "airy." Since the bed of the Titan isn't ideal for easy access, I'd like to get a utility body. For better or worse, however, this means a 3/4 to 1 ton truck.

For some reason, I've seen better deals on cutaway vans with utility bodies than regular trucks. Looking at the specs for 1-ton+ (E350/450) vans, we'd have plenty of towing power, but some of the most commonly available have the dreaded 6.0 powerstroke diesel. I've looked at some odds things including a local volunteer fire company selling an ambulance. By the way, I'd bet my bottom dollar the ambulance is heavier than its GVWR before you put anything in it. I had no idea the boxes on those rigs were so incredibly heavy.

I still think the utility body is a good concept for long-term camping/touring, but the pickings have been slim. Some of the vehicles have been used incredibly hard and the utilty boxes are prone to rust if not carefully maintained. Some trucks have been used for heavy duty snow plowing... not exactly the best course for a long life. While we haven't find the right truck/van at the right price yet, we're continuing to look. Since the forums have always been a source of good info, feel free to share any experiences with using the 1-ton vans, particularly cutaways.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Ironically, Nissan will be selling a new full-sized van here in the US next year. Based on the Titan, it's aimed at commercial buyers. That's probably more $ than you'd want to spend though, and you'd be buying the first year of a substantially-new design.

I've towed a lot with various 15-passenger Ford E-350s, all gas (either the 460 or the V10.) Lots of room inside. Towed decently, although the Ford's long rear overhang isn't optimal.

But I'm not sure the passenger area gives the comfort level that you'd want for your planned long jaunt. The doghouse really intrudes into room and the ride can be pretty bouncy. (I know it's more comfy than your vintage truck, but...)

A Sprinter is more comfortable and drives surprisingly well, but they can get expensive to fix and are fairly expensive to buy.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Some of the Ford Vans deleted the turbo inter cooler to make the diesel engines fit in the Econoline cab.
Result is less power, less mpg and possibly less engine durability.
Personally, I think big vans handle poorly and would not consider them as a suitable heavy load tow vehicle.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I used to own a 1994 E350 box van and it was great. It had the V-8 460 cu. in. engine in it and if they still made those today, I would consider one of those.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
On the positive side, the Overlander weighs around two tons dry. By the time we're done with the renovations, it may go a bit higher, but not much. If it was just towing, I could putt along happily in a half ton truck like the Titan and not really worry. In fact, the Overlander tows like a dream (compared to the "double bounce" of a 4000 lb truck with a bed full of part on a car trailer).

I just see a utility body as a very useful design to offset the limited storage in the Airstream. The only drawback is the weight of the utility body itself. Even if I found an aluminum body, it's still hefty when you start loading it with things.

While I've heard good things about the Sprinter, it is possibly one of the ugliest vehicles this side of Yugo... and I do have a wife with veto authority. As for "first year" vehicles, I went against my longstanding rule and bought the Titan in its first year... and then lived through the headache of the poorly designed front brakes. I'll give props to Toyota, they went to school on what was wrong with the Titan and made the Tundra a very good truck.

As for cab comfort, the goal of touring is short moves from campsite to campsite rather than the brutal pace we set going to Montana and back (from Maryland). I do like good heat and AC, but I'm fairly tolerant after banging around the old Dodge.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
_

. , .
i'm not a fan of the driving position in most of the domestic vans...

the E ford IS a tad better than the other 2...

but still not as comfortable or organized at the F series seating/footing/visuals.

utility/service beds have a LOT of appeal if set up properly but do weigh a bunch.

otoh the NEW 250s ride so much smoother and could work with a service bed and smaller stream.
_________

the 08-09? f-150 had an option for a very cool oem set up...

it was a shorter bed with 2 FULL pass through storage boxes in FRONT of the bed/behind the cab...

this essentially created some service/utility bed compartments AND a more traditional bed combination.

very very cool looking AND an excellent rv'n arrangement, but not common and special order only.

selecting a truck platform on which to add a service/utility bed is tricky...

the "bed delete option" on a regular 2/350 is a better route than the chassis cab offering.

they LOOK similar externally, but in fact are not.

they are built on 2 different frame rail setups, the utility beds are SPECIFIC 4 each.

and the options are much different for the cab/fuel/power and so on...

the chassis cab has FEWER options, is derated and has other UNdesirables.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
check with artstream, he travels all over with a box truck towing a 28 foot. It is his home, office and life.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
hampstead,

The Sprinter isn’t so ugly if you get the cab and chassis version. See page 44, post #610 on my thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-44.html

It’s the high-van models that look like a whale or dolphin, or something, weaving down the highway.

Your utility box idea is great. Check around with truck body builders. You might find a good used bargain. And one with a wide enough aisle down the center so that you can haul around a Smart Car too!

Good luck,

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
A smart car? I think we'll stick to a couple of bikes, maybe a scooter. For the average Streamer, even a full-timer, I doubt the utility body would be worth the extra weight, expense, etc., but it does seem a good solution for us. I like the amount of space available in an enclosed cutaway, particularly having some space under roof for additional storage. I'll try to test drive the Sprinter and find out how it feels.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Not sure you'll find much out there used that isn't run out. Most places that use service bodies run them into the ground because the cost of customization works against them if they replace the chassis frequently.

The local power utility was running boom trucks made in the late 1960s up until a few years ago for this reason.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
hampstead,

Next week I’m going to be in Aylmer, Ontario. That’s the home town of WILTSIE TRUCK BODIES, friends who have been invaluable to me during the “contemporization” of my Argosy.

I think I’ve seen some old utility boxes around their shop yard. If you’d like, I can check into them for you.

Sergei
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thanks, Sergei. It doesn't hurt to take a look, although my wife may be less than enthusiastic about me dragging her a few thousand miles to look at a utility body.

Some guys took the old Dodge "utiline" boxes (see below), removed the fenders and attached fabricated metal tool boxes. I thought about that because I had a pretty heavy duty flatbed for the old Dodge... but as noted, I've been instructed to seek a more modern form of towing vehicle for our extended North American tour.

The Wiltsie guys look like they do good work. I'm sure it would be easier to find a chassis and mount a box than to find a utility truck/van in great condition (at a decent price). Honestly, I really like the possibilities of the ambulance body, but the thing is a tank. I like having the additional box room a cutaway offers, and the snug cab doesn't bother me. I've even seen some Izuzu diesel cutaways (normally box trucks) but with utility bodies. I'm not sure how they would tow, but they are work horses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	utiline.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	109002  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I was curious about the Ford F-150 option that 2air mentioned above. It was called the "midbox" and was offered by Ford in 2008 as a fleet option. Later years offer "mid-box prep" as an option. Here's the press release and another one and even more info. Turns out that the company that makes them offers them for other trucks as well. Kind of cool.

Edit: And here's a leftover new one - even in Maryland (but it's not cheap and it has the 4.6 instead of the 5.4-liter).

Tom
Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
hampstead,

If there’s anything there I’ll send you some pictures.

I have no real knowledge but I think it stands to reason that, as you say, it’s best to find a cab and chassis that you like then find (or have built) a utility box to fit.

Small town builders like Wiltsie are often exceptionally good craftsmen for far less money than what you’ll pay in bigger places.

Here’s the link Baltimore –Aylmer, Ontario. It’s 500 miles. (Don’t tell your wife that’s one way unless she asks):

Driving Directions from Aylmer, Ontario to Baltimore, Maryland

Sergei
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
You are a gentleman and a scholar, Sergei. Five hundred miles doesn't seem far after our traveling this summer.

My concern about the F-150 is the same I have for the Titan. A half-ton truck just isn't built for a utilty body, unless you're talking a Tundra and a light aluminum utility body (a pretty awesome combo if I had a spare $40k). As for the 4.6, I really like the 5.6 in the Titan for giddyup. Even though it's not really geared for heavy towing, it gets down the road.

I'm going to keep looking. I guess it boils down to price-versus-fit for our long-term needs. I really think the "usability" of the utility body is high. The more stuff we can get into the truck, the more open we can keep the coach.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
It was called the "midbox" and was offered by Ford in 2008 as a fleet option.
Later years offer "mid-box prep" as an option...
yep, that b it.

very cool don't ya think?

with a properly sized 'stream this would be a fine combo.

as i recall it was not available on the CREW cab, but only the supercrew as pictured.

imagine drawers on one side and a built in genset (gas or lp) on the other...

with a tonneau cover one would have a stealthy looking rvn truck or add a full shell n really carry the booty.

even the toy' drivers noticed the offering...

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-a-smart-idea/

it turned out to be popular with outdoorsmen (hunter/fishn) for the easy carry and utility.

i really wish they had this option for the 250/350 line, but it probably would not sell in volume to justify the offering.

and most superduty buyers who NEED a service body, start with the chassis cab or bed deleted trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
...My concern about the F-150 is the same I have for the Titan. A half-ton truck just isn't built for a utilty body...
not true, at least with regard to the 150.

for example, there was/is a 150 model available with a payload that approaches a F350.

it's sorta a 150 with 250 underpinnings (brakes/axles/suspension) and with payload thats DOUBLE the typical 1/2 ton.

as i recall this one only comes with a standard cab and 2x4 and a LONG bed...

so it is more like real trucks once were in terms of space.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
What sort of stuff do you anticipate carrying in the utility body? I guess figuring that out would narrow down exactly how much room and what sort of layout you'd need.

That Titan engine is a lovely one. The F-150 also offers a new line-up of engines for 2011, with a rather nice 5.0-liter. (At least it's really nice in the Mustang, and it's modified for truck duty.) Or I'd assume you could buy a used 5.4-liter F150, remove the bed, and order the midbox (no idea on pricing for that though)...

More interesting stuff - you can get a Truckvault and then maybe a tonneau or cap - probably could be hard sliding the drawers fully out when hitched though...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Stuff for the utility body? Tools for keeping the vintage airstream operational, outdoor cooking equipment including my wife's dutch oven, outdoor clothing, hunting/fishing gear including my wife's fly pole, a generator, the outdoor chairs and table, emergency equipment such as extra Fat Tire ale, the spare tire for the trailer, my wife's canoe (if we have ladder racks), my wife's bicycle, etc.

The basic storage concept for the coach. Under the bed: linens and clothing. Bathroom: toiletries and cleaning. Galley: pots, pans, pantry goods. "Utility room (over the wh and furnace): Clothing. Under the sofa: Fresh water.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Could always go with an aluminum flatbed body, then take it to a welding shop and have aluminum cabinets made to bolt onto it in any configuration you could dream up. Sort of a custom utility body. Lighter and probably cheaper too.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there you go. with a flatbed, you can take the dodge too!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote