Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Curious Alignment Issue

The other day I balanced and cross-rotated (switched sides) the front tires on my tow vehicle. Nothing was done to the rear duals. Prior to this the alignment was near perfect and the cross spoke on the steering wheel was exactly level - or properly tilted counterclockwise to the left to accomodate the road slope in the outside lane. Subsequently, the cross spoke on the steering wheel now tilts clockwise to the right (i.e. - 9:30/3:30) and barely goes to level relative to the road slope - much less demonstrating the normal counterclockwise tilt. There's no noticeable "pulling" to the right - however, with "hands off" the truck will no longer track the highway grooves like it use to. It would appear that the alignment needs to be checked - but I can't figure out what change in geometry was caused by switching the tires from side to side - and why is it acting a bit squemish with respect to tracking???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hi Cracker,

Something changed in the tow settings of the vehicle. If you dont remember a big pothole or curbshot then you might have the suspension and steering links checked to see if something is worn out. In theory, the alignment shouldnt change unless something is bent, damaged, loose or worn. (rotating tires wont affect alignment but you may have a pull in one of the tires that is tugging the truck a new direction. Something in one of the belts inside the tire)

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Sometimes a belt will shift in a tire, especially when it is cross-rotated. Changing direction of rotation moves the belts, and will cause a pull. If you're up to it, try swapping the tires back to where they were and see what happens.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I'm more inclined to believe it's a tire problem - possibly a result of reversing the direction of rotation - but, if that's the case, how will re-alignment help??? Mileage is only 78,000 and all appears tight in the front end.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Sometimes a belt will shift in a tire, especially when it is cross-rotated. Changing direction of rotation moves the belts, and will cause a pull. If you're up to it, try swapping the tires back to where they were and see what happens.
Terry: We were both typing at the same time! I'll probably do what you suggest and switch the tires back. The wear pattern I was experiencing that caused me to switch the tires from side to side was not due to an alignment problem - but rather a balance problem on the driver-side tire. For the record, the front tires are a "steering tire design" and not suitable for a 6-tire rotation. They solved a prior problem of "cupping" on the outside edge of the front tires - but not until I had gone through two sets of front tires!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Question?

Why are you cross rotating the tires? Its probably a radial pull inside the tire so just stuff those back to the inside dual on the same side.. Maybe thats not an option because you have nice allow wheels and an ugly steel wheel on the inside of that dual set but its an option if not..

Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
One of the tires is pulling to the side. May just be best to switch them back and run that way till they are wore out.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Tire Pull.

Hi, every one is on track, so here are some thoughts. I know you didn't, but did you accidentally catch one of the steering links when you jacked it up and bend one? [I didn't think so] It is a tire pull; Some tires can and will do this. A really good, old time, alignment guy can adjust for a slight tire pull. But when you switch back, next time, it will have to be done again. Some times if the pull is bad enough, one of the tires will have to be replaced and it isn't necessarily the one on the side it wants to go to. I would have both front tires put on a "Road Force" balancing machine to determine if one of the tires has to go, and which one. Make sure the balancer is used in the Road Force" mode, it can be used to balance tires in normal mode. Last option, put them back where they were.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
give it a little while and see if the situation improves as the tires get used to their new position. while the angles might be almost the same, they're not. it is very noticeable in truck tires.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Question?

Why are you cross rotating the tires? Its probably a radial pull inside the tire so just stuff those back to the inside dual on the same side.. Maybe thats not an option because you have nice allow wheels and an ugly steel wheel on the inside of that dual set but its an option if not..
Like I said in my entry just before yours, I gave up on doing 6-tire rotations real early in my dually days - and no, I don't have alloys. IMHO, unless you rotate every 10,000 miles or less the different wear factors for the duallys and the front tires create problems. The present rear tires are the originals (78,000 miles), with perfect wear patterns and perhaps 10,000 miles of use still available - if I wanted to push it (---which I don't!) They ride at 50 psi when I'm not towing and 55 psi towing - whereas the front tires are maintained at 65 psi. These pressures are in accordance with scale weights - although very conservative for the duallys. The slight boost in pressure provides just a bit stiffer sidewall when towing.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yeah.. rotating all those tires around is a major pain. I still do it but question my sanity at times. I also run my front tires at 65psi and the rears when towing at 60psi.. They heat up nicely to around 70 when hot. Going with the airhitch now so not as concerned as i was about the harsh ride to the trailer. Hope you get your tire pull all sorted out.

Vin

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I switched the tires back this afternoon and all is well! The dually tracks like it was on rails and the steering wheel cross spoke is right back where it's suppose to be. Slightly more noticeable vibration on the driver's side - since that's the tire that has the "out-of-balance" wear spots - but hey, nobody ever said that duallys ride like a Cadilac! I prefer the vibration to the pull and squemish handling.

I appreciate all of the experienced comments and suggestions.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glad to hear it worked out...

Vin