Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Crash while towing down the interstate.

Most of the time I don't feel a truck passing at all. On the rare occasion I do, it is just a feeling, and very, very mild.

In disclosure, I drive fast enough that I don't think a truck has ever blown by me running 15 or 20 mph faster than me.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure what the "push pull" being discussed amounts to with the Hensley/ProPride. To put it another way, with a strong cross-wind and semi passing, the worst of conditions, two fingers on the steering wheel would be plenty to drive our truck, a 120" wheelbase reg cab Ram on by the way.

I wouldn't drive this way nor suggest anyone else do, but that's all that is needed. The trailer stays in alignment with the truck, it is very relaxing and surprising the first time a semi passes compared to other hitches we have used.

Speaking of strong crosswinds, that is another important advantage of this style hitch. Again the truck and trailer remain in alignment, the trailer is not pushed out of alignment with the truck, there is no angle between them going down the road.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Lorden,

As a FYI, I feel the push and pull with a Propride when being passed by a semi if that helps you any.

I don't belive those who say they don't feel it.

Thank you for your honest assessment Ted
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I guess this has turned into another "hitch" thread. I wonder if I will wake up tomorrow and this thread will be gone like the last one.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
I guess this has turned into another "hitch" thread. I wonder if I will wake up tomorrow and this thread will be gone like the last one.
Could be !

Regarding the idea of sideways "push", I have four trailers I tow regularly. One of them is a 33' gooseneck horse trailer. To be honest, there are occasional times when a passing semi or over-the-road bus passes by me on the highway, and I feel the push even with this setup ( F350 diesel dually ).

It could be that some folks are "more" or "less" sensitive to these kinds of input. So it could be that some folks simply don't feel it. We have no way of knowing exactly how another person "feels" things when they are driving.

Also, some folks may be reacting, or indeed, over reacting to certain movements.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
found this on youtube in teh comments section of the video..

Published on Jul 20, 2015
Interstate 86 Idaho

this was the comment.

"My wife and I actually passed this just after it happened. Looked like everyone was out and nobody got hurt. On our way to Jackpot,NV from Gros Venture. The speed limit has been raised to 80mph in Idaho,and I saw many tow vehicles pushing the limits. The winds were gusty at 30-40mph that day. It was pushing us all over at 60mph and we have a very dependable set up, and a heavy vehicle."

Wonder how fast the trucker was going adn how fast the Trailer tow'er was going..

So it seems wind, too tall of tires on TV was noted on one post, maybe not a good tow bar, and too much speed..

i guess they see the speed limit at 80 and what the hell..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #127
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

The better the TV, the less the effect of crosswinds. TV weight is distinctly secondary to this.

TV weight becomes more of a penalty as COG rises. As above, sloppy tires and lift kits make for the worst TVs among trucks, themselves the worst performers. Feedback to the driver via steering is already terrible on 4WD pickups. Add things together for diminution of performance. It's real.

I've been averaging 80k miles or so annually the past few years. I can practically pick out the soon-to-be-crashed RV rigs. And have. Usually it's a tire on the trailer (any type) that goes, then the trailer goes off the pavement edge. And that's all she wrote.

Toy hauler owners are the worst group for too fast driving. With the worst rigs. The truck driver joke is that those guys are baby daddies . . . 'cause they sure ain't fathers. We all feel sorry for the kids.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #128
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Ted,
Yes, you do "feel" the wind from passing vehicles on the HAHA or PP. What you don't feel is articulation between the AS and TV (sway)... Because there is so little that the whole "rig" feels like a single unit.
Mine moves as a single unit, as well, with a Reese Dual-Cam.
BUT--
Its a medium-sized trailer, smallest model with 2 axles. and that second axle was an option; (they made them with only a single axle in these years; adding a second axle, 2 extra tires + brakes is overkill.) It has a short rear overhang, and is nose-heavy. probably the most stable scenario you can get.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #129
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Since this thread just goes on... and on... I might as well add another two cents.

I am of the opinion that towing over 2,000 lbs should require a separate license with proper training and testing. I am also of the opinion that at the weight where a trailer is required to have brakes, one of the anti-sway hitches should be mandated as well. From what I can tell, that amounts to either a 5th wheel, Propride, Hensley, Equalizer, or similar hitch.

I recently visited a salvage yard where recently totaled vehicles are brought prior to auction. There was about a half acre of demolished travel trailers there. All appeared to have been the result of "trailer-snaking" as it is called in academic literature. None had any of the hitches that more or less permanently attach to the trailer to minimize or eliminate sway.

Factually, very few drivers have the foggiest idea on how to load and pull a trailer and just how dangerous out-of-balance loading is. For many years, U-Haul posted a maximum speed of 45MPH on their trailers to limit liability and that was probably a realistic speed for most of them. It was universally ignored and drivers near and far learned to discount the dangers of improper towing.

Finally, trailer construction from a highway and towing safety perspective is woefully under regulated. My now splintered R-Pod was constructed in such a way that the water tank was in the rear of the trailer and filling it up without adding a lot of weight in the front took it out of safety parameters. I was ignorant of that issue and it undoubtedly contributed to my unpleasant and out of control ride to the side of the road after being passed by an 18 wheeler. Fortunately, I was only doing about 50 when the event occurred, so I walked away. I have learned a LOT since that accident. It is unfortunate that it took that event for me to dig deeply into this issue. Only after the fact did I realize that filling the water tank without adding weight to the front of the trailer took it to a conditionally unstable configuration if it did not have a good anti-sway hitch.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 AM   #130
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's irresponsibly bad trailer design. Period. Water is almost the most important thing to have aboard, just barely behind propane.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
My first experience pulling a 31' 2006 Classic Reese Straight Line was on Interstate 5 in the California central valley in a cross wind. Big rigs running near the 55 mph speed limit (three axles or more) did not create as much of a bow wake when passing as those miserable two axle straight trucks with a speed limit of of 70. They would give me a good push every time one passed. I learned to watch for them. The longer length of the big rigs seemed to smooth out their bow wake.
TV = 2006 E350 Power Stroke
ezairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #132
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Straight trucks really are the worst. Even for semis.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup, Cab forward straight trucks are the worst of the worst.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #134
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado

I fear uhauls
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
ezairstream: Question... OK you see a straight truck coming and your action is to do what? I tend to slightly push to my left when they are cab to my truck.
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #136
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
U-Hauls ... I'm a-fear'd... too many have no idea yuk. I LOVE this thread.
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
early in the day.. but I'm making popcorn for this too..
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
ezairstream: Question... OK you see a straight truck coming and your action is to do what? I tend to slightly push to my left when they are cab to my truck.
The only time when they are an issue (ie. felt AT ALL) is when there is a strongish wind to the port bow. When I see them in the mirror, I slide to the right white line. Then I don't feel them. When they catch me by surprise, the whole rig moves slightly right (no sway, just a straight push). I just let the rig drift right a bit till it's gone....no more wheel input needed. PPP is great, Reese SL is almost as good. Others I have personally used, not so good.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #139
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Maintain lane center. One needs all the room the lane allows. Moving to the right has consequences.

If anything I move to the left of my lane as more than 90% of drivers will then move to their left. Conversely, a smaller number will move to the right if I first do so. They'll even cross the line as they're used to a certain distance.

I move back to center as they transition from overtaking and are now passing. Know that point in time/distance.

Traffic management. Doesn't matter if I'm in a 78k 18-whlr or my private vehicle, solo or towing.

The goal is to arrive uneventfully having remained upright and lane-centered throughout the drive.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
To each his own, I guess. I only know what I have experienced relative to other drivers behavior and my own actions and reactions.