Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Here's what's confusing to me. Twenty years ago Jim Hensley began marketing a hitch that prevented sway from ever happening. Today this hitch design is sold by Hensley and ProPride. More expensive than conventional hitches but the price difference is a small part of the total Airstream/tow vehicle cost.
Doug, besides the marketing material of the hitch manufacturer, do you have any proof of what you (they) are claiming? Do you know of any third party test that can verify this lofty claim independently?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #72
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Doug, besides the marketing material of the hitch manufacturer, do you have any proof of what you (they) are claiming? Do you know of any third party test that can verify this lofty claim independently?

Hook one up. 30-day guarantee. Send it back it doesn't do what is claimed.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #73
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I don't think that information is available in the video. In order to get a Darwin award, you have to perform your low-IQ/Suicidal act BEFORE having had the opportunity to reproduce, and pass your genes to the next generation.
I believe you have to remove yourself from the gene pool to get the award, either through death or sterilization. Doing something stupid doesn't qualify unless you meet one of those two criteria.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
I'm confused �� what should you do. I do 55 most time 60 max on straight and level low traffic areas and when I start to sway I speed up a little then slow down my speed, is this the right thing to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
First use the manual brake controller levers to apply the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes pulling on the tow vehicle will tend to stop the sway. Some people say speed up, but my advice is try to maintain speed without applying the tow vehicle brakes.
^
X2

Then spend some time setting up your rig to obtain the absolute best sway control.
55-60mph in low traffic low wind conditions is not conducive to producing sway in a properly set-up TV Airstream combo.

Bob
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Hook one up. 30-day guarantee. Send it back it doesn't do what is claimed.
We still have our ProPride, wouldn't send it back after three years and many cross-country trips throughout the country in all weather and traffic conditions. Even for a full refund.

Thousands of satisfied and safe Hensley and ProPride users have kept theirs as well. They eliminate sway, and prevent sway from developing into the dangerous condition we see here.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

I will verify it. They work.

Of course this verification is only as good as my word....

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This same thing almost happened to me when I hit a rough spot on the interstate. The trailer started swaying and I hit the trailer brakes and it got under control. I had the sway bar loose as they say to do when the roads are wet. This was a big mistake and almost cost me. I expect the dude had no sway control at all. An Airstream would not have turned over so soon.

Perry
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Pleasant Valley , New York
Brothers (and sisters),.....it is not what you tow with or what hitch you have!! I have a F250 and have not been ashamed of towing a lousy 12 foot cargo trailer behind me at 35 mph while everyone else was blowing by me at 65....on icy and windy roads in January in Wyoming on I80. Yes I did see 15 RV delivery trucks with trailers behind them on their sides.

So - lets not get into ego's. Sanity and responsibility for one's vehicle prevails.

Just saying I really don't give a rat's behind what you tow with or what hitch you tow with. If you don't know how to use the tools it is a wasted effort and energy. "It is not what tools you have but what you do with those tools that matter".

So for me, sometimes slowing down to crazy low speeds on ice with a trailer on surge rather than electric brakes make sense. For some who didn't they ended up on their sides....I really don't care since they didnt' take anyone out with them.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We still have our ProPride, wouldn't send it back after three years and many cross-country trips throughout the country in all weather and traffic conditions. Even for a full refund.

Thousands of satisfied and safe Hensley and ProPride users have kept theirs as well. They eliminate sway, and prevent sway from developing into the dangerous condition we see here.
Yep, took me a while to decide to spend the $$, but in hindsight, I don't regret it one bit.

Not a 100% guarantee of safety towing of course, but I realized the benefit the first time an 18 wheeler blew by me on the interstate and I felt absolutely nothing as he came by!

I didn't even realize he was there until he came up level with the cab of our truck and i saw him. Not the slightest impact on handling of our rig.

Now I just have to be wary that having the Hensley does not make me complacent, and that I keep adhering to principles of defensive driving!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Crash while towing down the interstate.

Quote:

Hi. I'm not Doug. I also readily admit I don't understand the engineering or math that supports the claim.

There is a lengthy discussion going back 10 years ago on RV.net (where Ron Gratz - well known in AirForums - contributed heavily to explaining the why...).

You can see that huge thread and the links to the Hensley patents that provide the technical explanation here:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/3.cfm

You can also watch at least a couple YouTube videos that demonstrate it through Lego models. Here's one: http://youtu.be/5fdM_gn-CyM and there's a longer 5 minute version out there too.

As I understand it, the Hensley/PP hitches virtually project the pivot point forward, roughly to the rear axle of the tow vehicle essentially functioning something like a 5th wheel that sits right on the axle. That location, rather than pivoting on the ball, is what makes the TV/TT combo act as a single, not "jointed" unit.

That does NOT mean this is the only safe way to tow a trailer or that having such a hitch guarantees you won't have an accident.

It just means what it means.

EDIT: Whatever the gear, perhaps the most important element in safe driving is the driver. In the OP's video, that driver loaded incorrectly, drove too fast for conditions, didn't apply appropriate corrective measures, didn't (apparently) manually apply trailer brakes and possibly didn't have any anti-sway device on the rig. While I'm fairly confident that accident wouldn't have happened if he were using a properly setup HaHa/PP - that doesn't mean he wouldn't eventually find himself in a ditch - nor does it mean that he wouldn't have had much better results with any of the other hitches and better driving skills.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Steve I was actually thinking of YOU when I said "SOME DO" - and even I never knew that truck driving schools often offered that kind of course until you posted it. Good Karma to You and keep on recommending that kind of course. I made contact with two local truck driving schools and now regularly recommend them when the topic comes up at "girls around the campfire" meetings.....snip....

Paula

😄

Good karma right back at ya! I know I've said this before but one of the exercises was to parallel park the rig. DW nailed it first try. Me? Not so much. DW has an uncanny natural ability with math and angles. She just gets it. I tend to overthink it.

But it's great to be able to share the driving duties and while I hate to think about the part of your note I snipped - odds are she'll be driving it solo someday 😳 (geez that got depressing for me kind of fast....).

But yes - everyone could benefit from a safe RV driver course.

Stay safe everyone!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #82
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Perhaps also "too much truck for a light trailer" .
The opposite is true. You want the TV to be heavier than the trailer. Even Wally knew this back in the 50's...read his book.
Clearly speed was a factor here.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #83
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
The opposite is true. You want the TV to be heavier than the trailer. Even Wally knew this back in the 50's...read his book.
Clearly speed was a factor here.
Don't say that to the GWN.....

Bob
Old 07-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes we all know that those expensive hitches are gods gift to rvers, now let's move on. Gets tiring to hear the same people over and over again touting theses hitches. Enough already?!