Not yet...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #58
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I saw this exact thing on a Calif. highway about 10 years ago. Women driving a pickup was in front of me going too fast and the trailer started to sway. I don't think the women ever knew it was swaying and just kept driving as the sway increased. In this case the trailer tipped over but stayed attached to the truck. When the trailer tipped over it lifted the rear end of the truck off the ground by a couple of feet and came to a stop. No one was hurt but I had a heck of a time getting the women to jump down from the truck.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:41 AM   #59
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Darwin award winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Not yet...

I don't think that information is available in the video. In order to get a Darwin award, you have to perform your low-IQ/Suicidal act BEFORE having had the opportunity to reproduce, and pass your genes to the next generation.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Improper loading. To much weight behind for sure. Holding tanks probably full, back here too.

That happened to me pulling a piece of equipment that without my knowledge filled up with rain water. Didn't notice, until I got on the freeway and the weight rolled backwards.

Happened just like that.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #61
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
I went back to find the source where I read that, and still trying to find the loaded rear basket article, but I believe it was in an insurance-related journal. I will find it eventually, but here is the source for the pendulum comments.

http://www.sv-jme.eu/data/upload/201...stersic_02.pdf

There has actually been a lot of academic work done on this and there is more than one paper out there commenting on the high percentage of "phantom vehicle" single car accidents with trailers where the trailer had a cargo basket mounted with excess load in the basket.
Mad props! You're a first to back it up. I would have never guessed about the basket.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
MERCY - play the clip in full screen mode, and give the driver credit for one thing. Keeping the tow vehicle upright was luck, but he actually backed the car off the interstate and got out of the way of the semi. Watch the tires.

There is no CDL or specific training required to qualify to drive with an RV. Only one in ten Airstreamers belong to this forum - and perhaps half of them are also WBCCI. Anyone can buy an RV, believe the salesman, get a mediocre hitch and setup on an inappropriate tow vehicle and go his merry way - a TYRO and a virgin more than an idiot.

MALE drivers - How many will even ask for directions, let alone towing training? OK, some do, but most... not. I've occasionally seen someone come into a campground exhausted with a trailer that's severely nose high or low, and asked if they'd had a rough trip. One Argosy owner turned out to have grown up about 3 miles from my home town, had just gotten the trailer, hitched it up and driven 550 miles in one day, with the tongue almost ON the ground. (Hitch ball with a six inch drop, van that needed one with about a 4 inch RISE.) In my regular campground there are all kinds of veterans who help strangers. I got backing lessons years ago - and they helped this newbie get a safer well balanced ball and chain setup.

It's really just as easy to help... and I remain very aware of how much help I got here and in the real world when I first started.

Sincerely, Paula
Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Paula - THIS male driver (and his female DW) spent a weekend (our first with the trailer) at a local CDW school for a 2-day safe RV driving course.

Highly recommended no matter one's gender.

I usually chime in on the forums when a first time trailer owner asks what he or she should get for the trailer.

6 figures all in on the new truck and trailer - $500 and 2 days of our time seemed a very cheap investment for this purpose....
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Paula - THIS male driver (and his female DW) spent a weekend (our first with the trailer) at a local CDW school for a 2-day safe RV driving course.

Highly recommended no matter one's gender.

I usually chime in on the forums when a first time trailer owner asks what he or she should get for the trailer.

6 figures all in on the new truck and trailer - $500 and 2 days of our time seemed a very cheap investment for this purpose....
Steve I was actually thinking of YOU when I said "SOME DO" - and even I never knew that truck driving schools often offered that kind of course until you posted it. Good Karma to You and keep on recommending that kind of course. I made contact with two local truck driving schools and now regularly recommend them when the topic comes up at "girls around the campfire" meetings. MOST women, not ALL have real fear of learning to tow, especially long term "passenger seat" occupants. And the older they get the more likely something will happen where they'll NEED to take over with zero notice. It's nice to see them go from fearful to - maybe - to Oh, I CAN do this!

Paula
Old 07-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Mad props! You're a first to back it up. I would have never guessed about the basket.

Would have seemed the most obvious contributor after the cretin passed the truck too closely and hit that bow wave. I also wouldn't be surprised were the holding tanks full. And I'd not want to examine the TT brake condition.

Polar moment of inertia is a bitch.

All trailers will sway. Any design. It's only a matter of how fast one must travel. Add in complicating factors (wind load side pressure increase down the length of a trailer, for instance) and it happens sooner than speed alone.

Handling cross winds is what matters most given reasonable precautions with both vehicles and their lash up. The source of the winds is irrelevant.

See Andrew_T s review of the Tuson AntiSway control.

Otherwise one hits the trailer brake and accelerator at the same time. Have to keep linkage taut , first, and control the rate of descent, second. Most problems of this sort are over before one gets down to 35-mph (given it is not some serious failure).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A Hensley or ProPride hitch won't keep someone from crashing their rig, but it won't be from sway. Small investment to ensure this cannot happen.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
........But, did anyone else notice the luggage rack on the back of the trailer, and what looked like water bottles flopping from side to side as the trailer swayed?............QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
............The single biggest issue can be seen as the trailer clears the left of the 18 wheeler. There is a cargo basket on the rear of the trailer and it is LOADED.................
I agree with these statements!

I think the trailer tongue was too light, which contributed to the sway event. The leverage effect of loaded cargo carrier extended beyond the rear bumper removed tongue load. Wind and bow wave also contributed.

Slower speed and better balance probably would have made a difference. Definitely preventable!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
I'm confused �� what should you do. I do 55 most time 60 max on straight and level low traffic areas and when I start to sway I speed up a little then slow down my speed, is this the right thing to do?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
I'm confused �� what should you do. I do 55 most time 60 max on straight and level low traffic area, when I start to sway I speed up a little then slow down my speed, is this the right thing to do?
First use the manual brake controller levers to apply the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes pulling on the tow vehicle will tend to stop the sway. Some people say speed up, but my advice is try to maintain speed without applying the tow vehicle brakes.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's what's confusing to me. Twenty years ago Jim Hensley began marketing a hitch that prevented sway from ever happening. Today this hitch design is sold by Hensley and ProPride. More expensive than conventional hitches but the price difference is a small part of the total Airstream/tow vehicle cost.

Yet we are still talking about what to do when when your Airstream begins to sway. Not to mention folks buying bigger, more expensive trucks to try to prevent it, which clearly doesn't prevent it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote