Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #43
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
He probably spilled his beer.... tragic..

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The guy (I assume) had all kinds of time to do something about the sway and he just kept going. That wasn't a sway-bam-what-just-happened? situation, it was sway... swaaay... Sway... SwaY.. SWAY... BAM!

I wonder what his plan was for solving the problem. Apparently it was "keep going" or perhaps "accelerate" (which might work, but probably not well enough when you're already doing 70 mph or whatever).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #45
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
On most newer vehicles with built in trailer brake controllers, they turn on the brake lights when ever the trailer brakes are applied, this includes if it is actuated manually.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
in the safety package given with all new Airstreams, in one of the videos it does explicitly say to give throttle and apply trailer brakes in the aforementioned situation. It does go against my initial instinct, but I am fairly sure that the authors of said instruction manual have more miles under their seats than I.
J.B.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
YouTube has several clips of people losing trailers for various reasons. I don't know if cross winds may have been a factor, but I slow down for cross winds even in a car. No matter what the RV, it will present a larger surface to a cross wind than a tiny car. Of course, why was the TT going so fast anyway? I know some tow faster than I drive, but I'm retired, so I can take the time. 60 mph is plenty fast, even on the Interstate.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'll bet he didn't have a Hensley Hitch. I do and once in a while when a big truck passes me I will feel a very very little sway when the tractor passes the hitch. The physics of this dynamics easily explains this phenomena. I guess the Hensley is good insurance.

GRA
Old 07-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Looks like the driver had several seconds to hit the trailer brakes and avoid the disaster. Video makes one believe he/she didn't ever get around to it or maybe there were no trailer brakes available? Looks like there was no anti sway hitch at work.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
I'll bet he didn't have a Hensley Hitch. I do and once in a while when a big truck passes me I will feel a very very little sway when the tractor passes the hitch. The physics of this dynamics easily explains this phenomena. I guess the Hensley is good insurance.

GRA

Watch it!!

You are treading on thin ice!

(I like my "un-named" hitch too though!).

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
If you watch the dust cloud from the accident, it moves to the left very rapidly. My theory is that there was a gale blowing across the highway from right to left and was a cause of the sway when the truck and trailer passed the truck. Sort of a bow wake around the front of the semi truck.

Also at the end the trailer and the tow vehicle are both upright.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #52
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I agree 100%. An F250 doesn't substitute for safe driving habits.

I watched that video over and over, and it appears to me that the driver was towing that trailer wayyyyy too fast to begin with. Then, as he was clearing the semi, the bow wave of the semi caused the trailer to start the sway oscillations. That appears to have been the beginning of the end.

All of that was avoidable. I'm glad that human life was spared. Could have been WAYYYY worse.

In addition, I wonder how much the weight all of that stuff hanging on the trailer's rear bumper was contributing to that disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Wait, that was an F250, everyone said it's impossible in a 3/4 ton and only 1/2 tons and SUV's have accidents.

Opps, trolling.

------
To the video, I've watched it several times. Something tells me that was a bumper tow. And to the comment about going >70 plus. I've commented on this in the past, folks will buy the bigger truck, and then think WD/Anti-sway and speed rating of tires don't apply. Cannot count the number of 3/4 ton & 1 ton trucks I see bumper pulling trailers at 80+ mph - some with tiny 14 inch wheels you know are not meant to go that fast.

Pays to be smart no matter what you drive, but that's up to the driver to educate themselves.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #53
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxx View Post
in the safety package given with all new Airstreams, in one of the videos it does explicitly say to give throttle and apply trailer brakes in the aforementioned situation. It does go against my initial instinct, but I am fairly sure that the authors of said instruction manual have more miles under their seats than I.
J.B.
I can see how that technique would work....... applying trailer brakes while slightly increasing the tow vehicle's speed would tend to tighten that banjo string, so to speak.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #54
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxx View Post
J.B.
But if you are already going 75, acceleration is going to help? Gently backing off in my opinion and a well-balanced brake controller is the only way. You cannot pull the swaying trailer out of the situation if the sway has crossed a certain point. If this happened really on I-80 or perhaps the 80mph I-15 stretch (thinking Utah), where the semis go 75-80, it might have even been happening at 80 mpg or more. With an unevenly loaded tt, a testosterone TV/driver combo, questionable sway control, perhaps just the ball... no wonder... but as said, we all could be wrong and this might have been some kind of catastrophic failure...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Source

Quote:
Not to raise the BS flag on you, but 85%? Do you have a source?
I went back to find the source where I read that, and still trying to find the loaded rear basket article, but I believe it was in an insurance-related journal. I will find it eventually, but here is the source for the pendulum comments.

http://www.sv-jme.eu/data/upload/201...stersic_02.pdf

There has actually been a lot of academic work done on this and there is more than one paper out there commenting on the high percentage of "phantom vehicle" single car accidents with trailers where the trailer had a cargo basket mounted with excess load in the basket.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
That driver is a complete moron.

That semi truck was going about 70 MPH.

So this retard with a lifted tow vehicle, with off-road tires and a bunch of barely secured crap in a tail basket (looks like 2x 40lb LPG tanks and other stuff) is passing a semi-truck in a cross-wind (you can see the strong wind blowing perpendicular when all the debris kicked up) at around 80 miles per hour. Doesn't appear to take any corrective action and indeed makes it worse by what looks like steering over-correction.

The lateral wind loads on that slab side trailer and rate of change caused by passing that semi like that in a crosswind are huge and what cause the trailer to instantly sway.

Darwin award winner.