Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
... BTW, the fan is 650CFM and will run continuously. .. see how she does.
Just a heads up, watch the current draw on a continuous fan, it's common for the fan to pull more current than the alternator creates at idle.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I do not think it is a good idea to have the fan run continuously. If a mechanic is saying to?? maybe go else where?? You only want it to come on when the temp. gets hot enough to warrant it. You can do some damage to the trans. if the temp. stays to low. Summer time is not that bad, but comes winter and cold mornings?? you really do not want that fan running. JMHO

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That fan is not necessary if the cooler is in the path of the engine driven air flow. That fan housing can also restrict air flow. Usually you have radiator, AC coil, and then the trans cooler all in a stack. The only reason you need a fan is if the main engine has electric fans or if the cooler will be located in an oddball place where it does not get air from the engine. Those fans draw a ton of amps and will drag down your battery and put a strain on the alternator.

Perry
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I looked at site your linked to for the cooler and it stated the fan: The "DAWG" can be manually controlled with an optional switch or by using our electronic fan control, part number 3651 (not included) to provide automatic operation when cooling is needed. I don't see why it would need to run continuously and I would put a switch on the fan.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That fan is not necessary if the cooler is in the path of the engine driven air flow. That fan housing can also restrict air flow. Usually you have radiator, AC coil, and then the trans cooler all in a stack. The only reason you need a fan is if the main engine has electric fans or if the cooler will be located in an oddball place where it does not get air from the engine. Those fans draw a ton of amps and will drag down your battery and put a strain on the alternator.

Perry
This. My lowly V6 Traverse doesn't even have the tow package -- just added a simple external Hayden tranny cooler -- sits in front of the rad directly in front of the left fan with good airflow. I don't tow in the mountains or southern US, but I've yet to see my trans temp exceed 180 degrees in any conditions so far.

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote