Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Convince ME!! please....

After excruciating (but fun) research we have made at least one decision; thank goodness. We will purchase a 2009 or 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ 4x4 Crew Cab (short bed) to tow our 2008 28' Safari.

Now the real fun…I thought I had made up my mind and figured out it was diesel power or nothing to tow this vessel across the country for 4 months. However, I have now reached terminal velocity; A.K.A. information saturation. This roadblock has allowed the very real possibility of purchasing a gasser over a diesel back into the fray. Like many others have stated before me; I am extremely appreciative and give full credit for any knowledge I have acquired to those offering their time and experiences in this “Great Hall” of information.

To keep this short - We are looking to purchase very soon and I cannot decide if I need gas or diesel. It will be my daily driver once we tour the US. We will most likely pack heavy, we have never owned a diesel before, but I am not afraid of proper vehicle maintenance.

Gas mileage seems to be close enough within these model years that I have given up hope of 15 mpg towing, 20 mpg highway. We looked at the pre-DPF vehicles and decided to buy newer. I tend to keep a vehicle for 8+ years.

Concerns on gasser – not enough torque
Concerns on diesel – to loud, warm up time/cool down time; different breed of vehicle

In hopes this question will not rival that of the "½ ton versus ¾ ton when towing a 25-footer" I will try to narrow the playing field. If you have experience towing across/around the USA with a non-Vintage (no offense J) ~28’ Airstream in any of the TVs listed above and would enjoy it as your daily driver PLEASE HELP. Thank you SO much!

David
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We have used Burb gasser's for the last 15yrs, wouldn't change a thing.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
You probably don't want to hear this, but, Ford is just about to launch their all new F250 diesel...that is absolutely unbelievable.

I saw/heard one in action last week. 24,000 pounds of towing capability. A new "quiet" diesel that I couldn't tell the difference from their gasser...and that was standing next to it. Inside...you couldn't even hear the darn thing running. Truly remarkable achievement.

If you're buying new...be sure to check it out.

I myself am pulling with a diesel. Yanking a 27 AS around the country, I decided I wanted the torque and power that ONLY a diesel can really provide.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
There is no right or wrong choice in your decision. It's really down to whatever you want. If you are going to be spending a lot of time in mountain ranges, diesel would probably be a better choice. I happen to prefer diesel.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't beat yourself up

I know its a big decision....I recommend the diesel. I,ve had 'em for well over 20 years. No problems. The Chevy I have now, 2500 4 x 4, is a real civilized ride. I was worried at first because I came back to Chevrolet from a 3/4 Ford diesel. That truck was nice...but it was a real truck. The much smoother ride and comfort of the Chevy initially made me suspicious of its work capability. I use it threefold...daily driver, ranch work and Airstream hauler. Great at all. PS.....you never have to tune it...ever. Just change the oil and filters.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I've owned both and I prefer diesel, hands down. Great torque, mileage, and if you take care of them, last a very long time. Doesn't matter your preference, the Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstoke, are all fine diesel engines.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
I have driven Fords all my life, however after their engine problems I decided to get a Chevy until I read a post here on the forum about the new 2010 Dodge...I have to say its a no brainer for me for two simple reasons ,well maybe three...

1. Cummins Engine (Tried and true Manufacture of fine diesel engines)
2. Only Truck out there with a Exaust Brake...(standard equip.)
3. Da sucker is quiet...

All three Ford,Chevy,Dodge build fine trucks period...It jus came down to those three lil things for me...Which are big in my book...

Greg P.S. ROLL TIDE ROLL
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
You probably don't want to hear this, but, Ford is just about to launch their all new F250 diesel...that is absolutely unbelievable.
Don't tempt me. Remember we did make one decision so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg N Cindy View Post
P.S. ROLL TIDE ROLL
RTR!

We will test drive a 2010 diesel and 2009 gasser tomorrow. Could very well be the day for a purchase. So far diesel is in the lead. Thank you all for your responses. Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I'm not a Diesel fan/lover, but for your size and weight trailer, a Diesel might work better for you; But I would never recommend a Diesel as a daily driver. Gas engines are far better for that type of driving, unless your idea of driving daily is hundreds of miles daily.

Short story: A company located in Southern California had about 200 fleet vehicles. All of these vehicles were Diesels. Approximately half of them were used locally and the other half were driven across the country and back. The locally used vehicles were in constant repair; And the cross country vehicles, vertually, only needed normal maintainence. [Diesels were not made to go to the corner market and back]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
For towing, a diesel is really best. It's really hard to beat engines that deliver 75% or more of full rated power over their entire rpm band; they just slow down a bit on the hills and the engine just grunts a little harder picking up the load.

If you're making nothing but a lot of short trips (less than 7 to 10 miles), any of the full scale trucks aren't going to be very happy. The engines are large and warm up slowly, and thus mileage tends to be poor. They much appreciate a chance to warm up and stretch their legs once a week.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I recently traded an '07 GMC 1/2 ton gasser for an '08 GMC 3/4 ton diesel. The Diesel is hands down the winner when it comes to pulling the Airstream, but maintenance costs are higher. Costs more to change oil, and it needs to be done more frequently. Fuel filters are more expensive and need to be changed frequently. The Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline, and the newer (late '07 and later) Diesels don't get that good of fuel mileage. I actually got better mileage unloaded around town and on the road with the gas truck, and it had 4.10 gears. The Diesel gets a little better mileage towing, about 12.5, and the gas truck got about 11.5. The Duramax Diesel is much quieter than the current Fords or Dodges, but don't know about future engines. Personally, I would be afraid of Ford's new Diesel before they are proven. (Remeber the Ford 6.0?) As far as "around town" is concerned, I haven't found it to be an issue, but I do live about 15 miles from town. The GMC 3/4 ton, a crew cab short bed, does ride a little stiffer than the 1/2 ton, but it rides measurably better than a Dodge 3/4 ton.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have towed trailers for 25 years .have used all my tow vehicles as daily drivers.i prefer the safety of a larger vehicle.my first diesel is the 2005 excursion that i have currently been driving for the last 5 years.truck is completely stock and it hasnt given me any trouble.maintenance on a diesel is more costly than a gasser.my daily driving is about 20 miles roundtrip,and i havent had issues from this.as long as i am towing,it will be with a diesel.gas vs diesel on larger trailers is not even a debate for me.diesel all the way.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrinius View Post
Concerns on gasser – not enough torque
Concerns on diesel – to loud, warm up time/cool down time; different breed of vehicle

You don't "need" a diesel...but you sure will like towing with one. The gasser is probably sufficient. Too bad they don't put BB in them anymore...
I think you can only get the Alli with the diesel? This alone is worth the price of admission...
You will realize better fuel mileage with the deezul, especialy when towing.
To respond to you specific questions;
1) Loud? Not any more, the common rail diesels are as quiet as a gasser (well maybe not the Cummins...great engine, but still more noisy than GM/Ford)
2) Warm up time; No different. Modern diesels have high idle adjustment for cold weather
2b) You should let any turbo charged engine cool down for 1-2 minutes before shutting down.

We are going into our 4th year with our first diesel. I had some concerns about going diesel also...not anymore. There is no difference in day to day operation.
Take a look at my review of owning a deezul; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post521713
It may answer some of your ?

Good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
As expected you all have risen to the occasion and provided me with valuable insight. My focus is still on the diesel, but I have some reservations about making short trips and how that will effect the engine. There is always my wife's Highlander though, if necessary.

We are headed to the local car wash to have my 02 Tundra cleaned and ready for presentation at one lucky dealership (once/if we negotiate a price of course). Will it be gas or diesel?? Hopefully we will know more about 4 PM today. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks again for all of your help.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
I can handle 1-2 minute cool down times and the remote starters these days makes the warm up time simple. This makes me feel a bit more at ease if I need to make a quick trip here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Take a look at my review of owning a deezul; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post521713
It may answer some of your ?

Good luck
I read your thread before BillTex, but it has been awhile. I wil go back through it. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
David and Georgia,

I can't wait to hear what you decide. I would love to see the new truck when you get it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrinius View Post
I can handle 1-2 minute cool down times and the remote starters these days makes the warm up time simple. This makes me feel a bit more at ease if I need to make a quick trip here and there.

I read your thread before BillTex, but it has been awhile. I wil go back through it. Thanks for posting the link.
Not sure if you can use remote start with diesel (glow plugs?). Modern vehicles warm up so efficiently (gas and diesel) that I really don't see the need to waste any fuel and pollute while idling...heated seats help too!

Good luck. You can't go wrong with either...

Bill
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
My GMC diesel starts just fine with the remote, but I almost never use it .. just start it up and drive away. I don't let 'em "warm up" or run the a/c to cool 'em down - it just wastes fuel. Now sometimes when it's below zero out and the truck's had to sit outside and I'm feeling decadent, I will warm it up for a few minutes.

The main piont here is that a 3/4 ton will be a LOT better at towing than a 1/2 ton, due to bigger brakes, generally heavier duty running gear, etc. You probably don't need that difference in Florida. And half tonners are probably better on the trailer due to softer suspensions. I hope you drive both. A half tonner is more like car, a three quarter more like a truck.

But assuming that you're talking 3/4 ton, then the real question is diesel or gas - and only you can answer that. I've had both, and I doubt I'll ever tow anything with a gasser again, but a lot of that is personal preference. I've owned a bunch of diesels over the years, and they are pretty bulletproof. But so are modern gasoline engines. I've got a freind who commutes daily in a 3/4 ton gas pickup, and he's kept the last several for way over 200,000 miles with no serious problems. If you drive both, I think you'll find that the gasser is more like a car, while the diesel seems to have the inevitability of a locomotive.

Do tell all about what you decide and why YOU decided that way!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
although Ford says the new 6.7 is the best yet, compared to others that does not say alot! My 6.4 is good but they never really worked out the bugs before they launched it, I cannot imagine the 6.7 will be without its problems. My dealer says wait at least a year before buying it. There is higher maint. cost involved with a diesel, like $120.00 oil changes, multiple fuel filters and gadgets that need attention. Yes the torque is great when towing, no so when empty. If you accelerate too quickly you will wear out your rear tires in a hurry due to the torque coming into play at about 2500 rpms. Fords are a slug off the line which makes me tend to be heavy footed at take off, than at 2500 rpms when the torque hits it peak its spin time. Your MPG will also suck in the diesel, I get 11.6 empty, 11.6 towing, 11.6 at 20MPH 11.6 at 100 MPH. With a gasser your mileage will be better when not towing. Lastly in my 08 the 6.4 was almost an 8,000 option.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Always tough on new technology - especially when it involves your drive train!

If you can't wait a year how about something used with some proven drivetrain components (to include engine management, etc.)...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote