Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burbank , California
Better to have it and not need it, Than need it and not have it.... Diesel is my bet!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #44
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, educate me on this fact please. It seems to me that, for example, a diesel having the same horsepower as my 5.4 L gas engine needs to be 6.7 L in size; Although the Diesel will have nearly double the torque. On the other hand, The Diesel is useing a blower or turbo charger to assist it and if my gas engine had a blower/turbo charger, my horsepower and torque would be increased considerably. [and still be a smaller engine] These engines need to be on the same playing field, such as cubic inches and naturally asperated or both blown.

Note: Isn't the Audi Diesel race car allowed more cubic inches than the same class gas powered cars?

Maybe this needs to be another thread, but for now it's here.
I think what he is saying is diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1 gallon of diesel fuel contains approximately 155x106 joules (147,000 BTU), while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132x106 joules (125,000 BTU). This, combined with the improved efficiency of diesel engines, explains why diesel engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by romap View Post
Nice truck Tyrinius. Looks like a carbon copy of mine! Is it an LTZ? Good luck with it and happy towing.
Thanks Ro and yes it is a LTZ. I'm glad to see your mileage numbers too. I would be happy with those myself; we'll see.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by romap View Post
Steve,

If you smell diesel from your truck then perhaps you have the dreaded turbo downpipe misalignment problem. If you do, there will be a signature diesel smell because the exhaust is leaking before it reaches the catalist and the dpf. If you don't believe me, search the diesel forums and you will find truth in what I say.

Sure there is a smell from the exhaust if I run my truck in a semi enclosed area, but so would a gas engine produce a smell - only different. However it does not have the old diesel bus odor at all.

On another note, my truck repeatedly gets 20/21 mpg on the highway (70 mph) unloaded not towing. When towing on the highway (65 mph), the worst was 11 and the best was 15 including some Adirondack runs. I suspect that crossing the Rockies will produce less stellar results.
I don't know, but I don't believe there are any "problems" with my truck, but you CAN smell Diesel exhaust when it's running. Additionally, I walk in the neighborhood every morning with my dog for exercise, and there are others here that have Diesel trucks, late models, and when they drive by, I can smell the Diesel exhaust.

About your mileage, I sure wish my truck got that kind of mileage, but it does not. When I first got the truck I was very disapointed over the mileage, and discussed it on this forum, and on the GM Diesel truck forum, and found for a late model, mid '07 and later, I was getting about what everyone else was getting.

I do know earlier models, pre DPF, got lots better mileage, and a person can get better by removing the DPF and putting a "tuner" on it, but that costs about a grand, voids the drivetrain warranty, and is illegal.

If you are getting 20/21 on the highway, you either have one of the very exceptional trucks, or have a defective calculator. Every one else that I talk with that has a late model Diesel, is getting simular mileage to what I am getting, and some not as good.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #47
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

If you are getting 20/21 on the highway, you either have one of the very exceptional trucks, or have a defective calculator. Every one else that I talk with that has a late model Diesel, is getting simular mileage to what I am getting, and some not as good.
I have a 07 Superduty PSD <power Stroke Diesel> and have it chipped with a Superchips programmer. I get on average on the highway not Pulling 22mpg. About 18 in the city. Now with pulling, I'm averging about 11.5.

Are your number pulling or just driving?

I hear the NEW 2011 Superdutys <FORD> will be on average 15-20% better fuel than current models. A brand new Diesel engine built by Ford. The 6.8 Litre.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrinius View Post
Home at last.....without a TV. However, we have made a decision! We have driven every vehicle that interested us (gas and diesel) within a 100 mile radius over the last three weekends. Today's endeavor lasted 12 hours, covered 4 dealerships and crossed 250 miles. It looks to be the most productive outing yet.

I'll have to tell you the results tomorrow so that I don't jinx it and I will post some pics if all goes well.
Hey, just started reading this thread today! I know this is going in a different tangent than everyone else, but glad to know I'm not the only person that has to drive every vehicle in my interest, before buying. After 27 yrs. Little Bride tells me to "start looking" and when I narrow it down to a couple, let her know and then she will go "looking" with me. Congrats on your new purchase, hope it works out for you. We bought our first a few yrs. ago and don't regret getting diesel!

Regards, Steelegood

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I have a 07 Superduty PSD <power Stroke Diesel> and have it chipped with a Superchips programmer. I get on average on the highway not Pulling 22mpg. About 18 in the city. Now with pulling, I'm averging about 11.5.

Are your number pulling or just driving?

I hear the NEW 2011 Superdutys <FORD> will be on average 15-20% better fuel than current models. A brand new Diesel engine built by Ford. The 6.8 Litre.

Shane
Shane, Your mileage is normal for a pre Diesel Paticulate Filter truck. Do you have a DPF?

My truck is an '08, and this will be the last time I will state this here...the newer Diesel trucks that have DPF do not get the fuel mileage of the older trucks.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Ty ....

Congrats on the new truck. I bought mine last fall and I just love it. Have only pulled the Airstream 100 miles but noticed that it handled really well and didn't even downshift on the rolling hills. Big test comes in June as we embark on our 6,000 mile journey to the west coast.

Anyway ... Love that truck.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #51
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Shane, Your mileage is normal for a pre Diesel Paticulate Filter truck. Do you have a DPF?

My truck is an '08, and this will be the last time I will state this here...the newer Diesel trucks that have DPF do not get the fuel mileage of the older trucks.
I don't know if mine has a DPF. Never even heard of one,actually. I also didn't think my truck as an "older" diesel.... The 7.3 yes, mine not so much.
You do have my curosity up on the 2011, which I'm looking to purchase in the next couple of months...... I wonder if they will have a dpf?

The 15-20% increase in mileage will be about the same as mine is now for the 2011's if they are comparing it to last years, from what your saying.

Oh well maybe I should wait until some hard numbers are out.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
glad to know I'm not the only person that has to drive every vehicle in my interest, before buying. Congrats on your new purchase, hope it works out for you. We bought our first a few yrs. ago and don't regret getting diesel!

Regards, Steelegood
Thanks Steelegood. It is definitely more time consuming, but it makes all the difference in the world to put your hands on any vehicle that might interest you. We are loving the new truck; I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice choice, Ty. Looks like a fine truck that should give you many years and many miles of service.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
nothing wrong with it, thats the best you are going to get out of the 6., unless you coast a lot, than maybe 12.5. The best the service mgr. at my dealership gets is 13 empty and thats primarily because he has 50,000 miles on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Yikes! Must be something wrong with this machine. My truck averages over 20 mpg solo on the highway and about 13.6-13.8 towing ... best trip so far was 15.6 mpg towing, but that was at 65-70, mostly flat country, and was only 500 miles. And mine's not really broken in yet, with only about 25k miles on it. (My last diesel had fuel mileage keep improving until 60k miles, where it's held steady until the current 175k on the odometer and still doing fine.) And I don't drive 100mph, towing or not. But still ...

And on the GMC, torque peaks at 1600 rpm, with horsepower peaking at 3200. At normal towing speeds of 70 or so, the engine is doing about 1700 rpm, so it's near torque peak and doesn't need to downshift for anything other than a BIG hill / mountain pass.

So - do tell us what you decided.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Quote:
I have found that my figures are consistant with what others are getting wth similar trucks. My calculator is not defective , and as a matter of fact it is very close to what my dic is reporting. If you try and calculate mpg when in regen, your figures will be low. My figures are from long runs and are an average of all conditions encountered including when in regen.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #56
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Well, perhaps the new emissions stuff is getting the blame... but our 2009 Jetta TDI diesel has all that stuff, and regularly gets 45+ mpg at 75 mph. True, it doesn't get the mileage our 1981 VW Rabbit pickup did (nearly 50 mpg), but this vehicle has literally three times the horsepower, and that can be hard to resist.

Someone in Detroit may figure out that fuel mileage is now important - and you'll see mileage climb. Ask your congress critter for required mileage ratings for medium duty trucks, so we get some hard numbers to compare as well.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote