Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Okay, I'm an old guy who grew up using Consumer Reports. I'm also a retired librarian, so research is my thing. Since I don't buy new vehicles, I use their information about possible problem areas for vehicles I'm interested in. Just like Airstream owners here on this forum, owners report their experiences with vehicles and CR compiles the information they get into a report of what problems may develop. Yes, statistically it would be better of CR could get a large portion of vehicle owners to report their experiences, but they can't, so they use what they have. It is interesting to follow a vehicle from their rating of it as a new vehicle, to a one-year-old, to a two-year-old, and so on until it is dropped from their listings. Sometimes a vehicle that is near the top as a new vehicle turns out to have problems later on, and sometimes a vehicle that is farther down as a new vehicle turns out to be a pretty good one after all.

For most of us, though, the problem is that CR doesn't regularly test the larger vehicles that we need to tow our trailers, and when they do, they don't test them as we use them. No one needs an F250-class vehicle for going to church, to Wal-Mart, to the dentist, etc. and CR only tests that sort of use. We buy the larger vehicles because we need them to tow our trailers, and we accept the increased fuel use in daily use because of it. Some of you may be able to have another vehicle that is more fuel-efficient for daily use, but those of us who are full-timers don't have that luxury. Our tow vehicles are also our daily drivers.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The stuff CR finds is always warrantied. Most o the problems people have with vehicles, tires, etc are related to maintenance or lack thereof, or poor driving abilities.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #43
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
My big issue is with how things are graded on the scale and complaints vs. service requests.

One issue, for example, is where Ford had more complaints about it's stereo (And if you've ever lived with that Microsoft Sync system, you know it's garbage) but fewer service requests for mechanical failure compared to a rival Toyota model which had more service requests.

The Toyota was less reliable yet still ranked higher than the Ford because the Ford received more complaints.

Really, if you want an accurate picture of vehicle reliability you only need to look at the data of how warranty work and service requests for a particular model.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Actually the biggest hit the Tahoe/Yukon got was with their Magnetic Ride Dampening. This was a cutting edge solution to the harsher ride most of us with trucks are used to and it works, sort of for about the first 10K miles. There have been several recalls to 're-program' the magnetic shocks, and from what I've been told by owners who have actually owned and used these vehicles, it is a night & day difference once everything is reprogrammed and/or updated. I went with the older, self-leveling technology found on the Max Trailer package and couldn't be happier with this 6-year old refined designed. If I had another $10K, maybe I would have splurged for the magnetic ride, but heck, that's a pretty big ask.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
The biggest issue that I can see with the reliability of CR reports is that the questionaires are only sent to CR subscribers.
According to CR, that results in only about 500,000 total reports of all the car makes.
These reports are coming from owners who used CR to buy the vehicle in the first place, so really how unbiased can these reports be?
I can believe you can get an unbiased review of a toaster, but not a vehicle.
Twice I trusted CR to buy a vehicle and they were two of the worst vehicle I have ever owned.
I have a good toaster and washing machine, however.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Has anyone heard the outcome of the class action against RAM diesels/Cummins yet? It was in a CU report. I heard there was a case in November then the arguments/claims and... The testing evidence supposedly showed pollutants way above limits. Watch out, next they'll create a pollutant tax.

BoldAdventure is correct in that you have to look at the data and see what the problem is. I had the original Sync system and then the Sync 2 (2015). The Sync 2 is the one that had the lawsuit. The update took care of most the issue; however, the system does pause between inputs about two seconds. The new one, Sync 3, is about one-second pause. I played with one at the dealer. The other thing I have noticed is that when it tries to "guess" what you are going to spell it will pause anywhere from 2-5 seconds. I can see why people would be made at Sync 2. I heard the story of escalation to remove sync 2 from production when a Ford exec supposedly smashed the screen of his unit in frustration- probably waiting. Good ole Microsoft. That said, it works well if you look past the pauses. It will not let you navigate while in motion which I do not like. My Garmin beats them all! The music, weather, and all else is great.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #47
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I enjoy reading the stuff that CR puts out, but as several others folks have noted, I believe there's a LOT of rater bias in their reports. I actually filled out one of their surveys a couple of years ago. Once. Why? The detail that they asked for was so lengthy that I decided to see where it would take me. What it took was a massive amount of MY time to complete the survey, thus leaving me to believe that it was likely that most people who'd fill it out were either: a) ecstatic or, b) very unhappy -- with their purchase. I currently have four vehicles. None of them are either a "best buy" or "highly recommended." I guess I must be stupid of something. (I wonder how they'd rate my Airstream??)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Again, I can't find the info, but years ago CR was found quilty of lying. Cooking the books, etc.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
http://dashboard-light.com/reports/Full-size_Truck.html

For some reason I'm not surprised to see Ford F series at the bottom.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Again, I can't find the info, but years ago CR was found quilty of lying. Cooking the books, etc.
They used the term "alternate facts"

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
That was Consumer's Digest, a whole other critter. Bottom line, if you are a "Ford, Chevy or (like me) a Nissan guy" it doesn't matter what any publication or organization says -- you have the finest truck, microwave, popcorn popper available because YOU chose it.

Read the Forums long enough and it becomes glaringly apparent.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote