Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Starstream, thanks for all the good extra information. I spent some time yesterday cruising the internet and reading blogs, reviews and looking at images of the NV.

It really has a lot going for it. Might spend some time this winter looking around at a few vans.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #62
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I hear you can get the NV with the v8 Cummins now. That would be an amazing engine.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
I hear you can get the NV with the v8 Cummins now. That would be an amazing engine.

Looked for that but couldn't find it. I'd imagine is still being tested (report of same) if truly under consideration.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #64
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Maybe 2017. Not now.

I'd at least like to see the new 5.6 with 7 speed.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Here's a video tour of my van, Fred. After the suspension upgrades I made, there's nothing jittery or sloppy about it, but the stock ones do definitely have that vague feeling to them.

I have absolutely loved this van.

I really liked the video. Lots of good ideas from which I intend to borrow. Here is a picture of my arrangement for allowing short time camping without pulling the AS. The reason I want to do this is that it is cheaper, easier to boondock, and makes access to higher populated areas less stressful. I have everything so that I can remove it fairly quickly and without much hassle. It doesn't take long to put it back so that I can haul other kinds of cargo. The cabinets you see are actually tool chests with wheels that are temporarily strapped in. I would like to take credit for this idea but borrowed it from another transit owner on the ford transit forum. Like I said I really like the van's versatility.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474320895.825883.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	272006

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Harpo thanks for letting us see your set up.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #67
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Just a point of note, but you can only get the high roof version in the cargo van, so no side windows, no rear seats, and no a/c in the rear. I did give some thought to going this route, but I'd have to add a couple seats and then build out the back to at least get some sound insulation and a little comfort back there. It's an option, but when you get the passenger version that is all done for you.
I just built a NV high roof cargo with factory glass in the rear and glass in the sliding door section with privacy glass on drivers side. Maybe new option?

As others have stated, the one really great thing about the NV as a van is the motor is out front under a hood, so servicing it is pretty easy for the tech.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
A Bumble in the Badlands

Our 2016 NV is a flat-top. He was already on the dealership lot and purchased as is. We haven't added anything, but we did take out all the seats we currently don't need. This is one of our favorite photos from a drive thru the SD Badlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	272080  
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #69
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I just built a NV high roof cargo with factory glass in the rear and glass in the sliding door section with privacy glass on drivers side. Maybe new option?

As others have stated, the one really great thing about the NV as a van is the motor is out front under a hood, so servicing it is pretty easy for the tech.

Cheers
Tony
Sorry.. you are correct. you can get some of the windows in the cargo version.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wanted to thank everyone for the informative replies to this thread.

Between your replies here, the "anyone tow with a Ford transit" thread and the "NV 3500 thread" a lot of good information was shared.

Feel free to keep adding. Hopefully when explore more gets their new van we'll hear more and when we start looking well add to this also.

Vans are sounding like a good choice for now.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #71
explorer

Currently Looking...
I promise to do a build video series once we get our transit.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I am now towing my 25' EB with 2016 3.2 L diesel Ford Transit van. I traded in my f-250 6.5L diesel truck for the van. It was not by choice but for necessity. My wife became very ill and it required a vehicle that was wheelchair accessible. I also needed a van that could pull our trailer since I knew this would be our home away from home while staying at various health facilities.
I really liked our truck and was very concerned about replacing it with the van and using it as our day to day plus tow vehicle. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the van operates in both capacities. Granted I do not have the power that I had with the truck but so far it seems to be more than adequate plus the handling and the ride seems just as good. What I am really pleased and surprised about is the better mileage and the greater versatility the van gives me.
Unfortunately I lost my beloved wife recently. I could if I wanted to get another truck but I like the van so much I don't think I will. In fact now that there is just me I think I will sell my EB and buy the new basecamp. We bought the EB to haul our kayaks, bikes and other type of outdoor gear. With the van I can do this as well as make into a separate traveling bedroom if need be. Oh one other thing I have gotten with the van is lot of attention. More people approach me about the van now than the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Harpo, thank you for your insight and vulnerability. We bought our Airstream so we could enjoy some quality time together, I pray that the time with your wife is a sweet fragrance to your future travels. I have a lot of respect for you. Blessings to you!

Matt
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #73
explorer

Currently Looking...
After shopping for transits, we're not 100% sold. There are lots of little design things that are stupid. Plastic handles for shutting doors, the fact that you can't shut the sliding door without first opening another window or door, the controls, the seats, the high brake pedal, the airbox design that lets water in, the list goes on.

We do like the ecoboost motor, but we aren't ready to sell our 4x4 7.3L E350 yet.

We like the 4x4 3500 144" WB Sprinters on paper, but we've read that the maintenance costs on a sprinter are insanely expensive, and since we full-time, we can't be running off to some obscure dealer and waiting in line for 3 weeks to have it looked at every time a sensor goes out (which appears to be quite common).

So... we'll probably stick with our current van for a while.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
We are new owners of a Flying Cloud 28A. Before purchasing the Airstream I did a ton of research on tow vehicles and vans in particular. We currently have a GMC 1/2 ton with Max Trailer package and 6.2L gas V-8. I've spent a lot of time at Sprinter-source, fordtransitusa, and expedition portal forums.
I would love a new Transit but there is no way it comes close to meeting the tow requirements for our trailer. The best tow rating you can get with a Transit is with the 3.2 diesel and 3.73 gears. That gives you a 7500 pound tow rating and GCWR of 13500. Your van better pretty close to empty if you are anywhere near a trailer weight of 7500. The gvwr of our trailer is 7600. Ford says no weight distribution hitch because of unibody construction. Max hitch weight is 750. Our trailer advertised tongue weight is 974

This is not meant to be a slam on the Transit. I would love to have one for the ceiling height and other features. Unfortunately it doesn't have the capability to tow our Airstream.

Our plan is to buy a Chevy / GMC 1 ton van as a tow vehicle. 10,000 pound tow capacity and can use a wdh. We live a few miles from the Quigley 4x4 factory, so are also considering this option as well.

Our main goal is to bring our bicycles and kayaks with us and possibly a dual sport motorcycle or two. Bicycles will be stored inside and kayaks on the roof.
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
We have a Nissan 3500 HD cargo Van. It has the same tow capacity. You can stand up in it and cargo can be kept inside away from the weather elements. Not to mention having a weight of over 6,000 lbs. I see this has completely gone under the radar .... Ideally the heavier the tow vehicle the better. I would rather have more weight upfront in the tow vehicle , the heavier the trailer the more it will want to push (dominate) your tow vehicles every move. If that person who had their Airstream roll over recently mentioned here , had a heavier tow vehicle maybe the outcome would have been much different.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #76
explorer

Currently Looking...
Ujoint offroad will be offering 4x4 kits for the NV in the near future. He does great work. Im betting itll be far superior to a quigley comversion.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
Quote:
?...
We like the 4x4 3500 144" WB Sprinters on paper, but we've read that the maintenance costs on a sprinter are insanely expensive, and since we full-time, we can't be running off to some obscure dealer and waiting in line for 3 weeks to have it looked at every time a sensor goes out (which appears to be quite common).

So... we'll probably stick with our current van for a while.

Our previous tv was a Mercedes 350GL diesel that we sold in favour of a GMC 3500 diesel van. The Mercedes was a much more refined tv, but was completely unreliable. I was reluctant to tow with it because I was afraid of a breakdown far from a dealer. Also, as pointed out, Mercedes maintenance costs absolutely spoil the ownership experience.

Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevans View Post
Our previous tv was a Mercedes 350GL diesel that we sold in favour of a GMC 3500 diesel van. The Mercedes was a much more refined tv, but was completely unreliable. I was reluctant to tow with it because I was afraid of a breakdown far from a dealer. Also, as pointed out, Mercedes maintenance costs absolutely spoil the ownership experience.
Neil
I'm thinking about doing the same as my ML has the same drive train as the GL. I've got a 180k on it, but it seems to break down once a year. Just last week I wanted to tow and the check engine light was on again. Luckily it didn't go into limp mode this time. $600 to get the glow plug controller replaced and now the oil cooler is leaking as well. It's one thing after another.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Thanks for coming over ExploreMore.

...Going to do more research on long wheel base and short along with cargo capacityObviously diesel is out so that takes that out of the equation...

An empty commercial van would likely be cheaper but the passenger vans could still be family drivers for road trips without the trailer. Vans might also be available at fleet prices or used from airport type shuttles places.

Great comments.
I've seen a few posts that seem to discourage long wheel base, but I can tell you a long wheel base anything will ride much better over our country's jagged roads and highways. If too short, when loaded heavy and towing you can end up in a front down, back up type of teeter totter that's very dangerous and longer wheel base can eliminate that situation.

I'm finding out that older conversing vans seem to have been cargo versions from factory, fitted with the big windows, tall roof, interior trim and seats but newer vans seem to be passenger versions, possibly ordered without seats. But I'm just starting to learn more about these conversion vans so not sure how they are done.

Right now I like the idea of a newer 2014+ GM (chevy or gmc) 3500 with the new 6.6L duramax (much better than the older 6.5L or 6.2L) and 6-speed 6L90 transmission... if one can be found is the problem. One note about the diesel is it's a tuned down version found in the trucks for longer engine life, so that's not bad at all! The truck crowd will try to tell you its a smaller and less powerful duramax than trucks, but its the same engine with a different program in the ecu.
Jkline398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #80
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's turned down because of concerns with shedding heat. Engine is enclosed compared to a pickup. That said, 300HP and 500TQ is overkill for our trailer type.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote