Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Mike thank you for your feedback on the van. We like that you can still seat 5 and store bikes inside. Being a passenger van does yours have windows all around. If so do you cover the windows or does it have a decent tint.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
Love towing with my VAN.

I have towed a Classic 30 with an Ford E350 diesel for 10 years.

I especially like the the storage room with the seats removed. When you close and lock the doors it provides much more security from theft.

With the side slider door and back doors every thing can reached easily.

This diesel option is over now for a new vehicle. Chevrolet GM produced their last diesel Express van in model year 2016. Only gasoline models are available for 2017.

Ford made their last one ton diesel passenger vans several years ago when they went to the Transit vans and Dodge quit earlier.

Clyde

Old 09-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
EZAirstream thanks for chiming in. Thanks for the information about the diesel, we were not aware of that.

We also would enjoy the ease of getting at everything with the van doors. Currently we have a pickup up bed with tonneau cover but sometimes that could be easier. That's not a reason to switch to a van from our pick up but as we said the pickup rolled 250,000. on the last trip and will likely get replaced in the next year's.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
A Hillring and Harpo thanks for adding. It seems there are quite a few of you with vans.

Harpo we see that you are going to stay with your van as it performing well for you and your gear (sorry your going at it alone but lots of credit for going back to it and the memories get to go with you) Hill thanks for the picture it looks great.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #19
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I love my van. I'll always be a van guy. My 4x4 e350 7.3L is a beast. There are other rigs that will tow faster, but you can't deny the storage capacity.

I'm considering selling my van for a new transit, but there are concerns:

- limited tow rating
- low tongue weight max. They can't take over 750 lbs
- 4x4 options take 6-8 months and cost $12k!

But we may go that route, which would require a big downsize of my trailer.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I am now towing my 25' EB with 2016 3.2 L diesel Ford Transit van.
So sorry for your loss, and so glad you can remember her fondly.

I've been looking for someone who tows an A.S. with a transit. I hope you don't mind me.bombarding you with questions.

What's the tongue weight on your AS? What's the wet weight of your trailer loaded up and ready to go? Are you using a wd hitch?

Which wheelbase/top size did you go with? What's your tow rating?

I've done an absurd amount of research on this topic, but you're the first I've met who's towed an airstream. Thanks for your info.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
I saw a van as a TV on SOB, and I really liked the idea. With the height of the bed of my pickup, I have to get out a step stool to get anything further in than two feet. I liked the idea of being able to access my stuff more easily.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for coming over ExploreMore.

It was your van search and Moosetags ability to unhook and wander and then still camp in his cab over camper that got us really considering a van versus a pick up truck when it comes time.

I haven't heard a lot of negatives yet in choosing a van. Going to do more research on long wheel base and short along with cargo capacityObviously diesel is out so that takes that out of the equation. Were already driving a pick up so fuel milage is not that different. We will have a small car at home for errands. Our pick up is a little older so we don't have all the bells and whistles on that so that would be fine. Might also be nice to talk with Andrew at CanAm and get his expertise.

An empty commercial van would likely be cheaper but the passenger vans could still be family drivers for road trips without the trailer. Vans might also be available at fleet prices or used from airport type shuttles places.

Great comments.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Why is diesel out? I get almost double mileage that a v10 gets.

Typically, longer wheelbase vans tow a little better, but a lot of owners find them a pain when they have to do a u-turn.

In the Ford econoline variety, both the rb (regular body, 12 pass) and eb (extended body, 15 pass) have the same wheelbase. The eb just has an extra little bit of body/storage tacked on the back. If you have a super heavy tongue weight, the 12 pass rb will feel it less than the eb, due to the distance of the hitch to the rear axle. I have zero problems with my eb though, and I love the extra room inside (the whole reason I got a van in the first place).

Downsides: they're tougher to work on than a truck, since the engine is halfway into the interior. Shops charge a little more to work on vans. Also, the van engines are usually defined from the trucks.

Another downside: the never-ending jokes about living in a van down by the river.

Also, they're attention grabbers, especially if you have a 4x4 conversion or a pop top. But airstreams are the same way, so we should all be used to that. That's actually an upside for me.

Another downside: nowhere to put your genny. I put mine inside, and if I change elevation, the whole van reeks of gas. I've got to start siphoning my fuel bowl and tank, I can't ha flexible the fumes.

Another downside: poor visibility/big blind spots, especially if you have a cargo van vs a passenger van.

My lifted van handles better and has less sway than a stock econoline. Not to mention it's 6" wider, with wider tires.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #24
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Still towing my 2004 19' ccd with an 01 VW Eurovan weekender. Going on 13 years! Original trans never a prob, but I am super careful...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
So sorry for your loss, and so glad you can remember her fondly.

I've been looking for someone who tows an A.S. with a transit. I hope you don't mind me.bombarding you with questions.

What's the tongue weight on your AS? What's the wet weight of your trailer loaded up and ready to go? Are you using a wd hitch?

Which wheelbase/top size did you go with? What's your tow rating?

I've done an absurd amount of research on this topic, but you're the first I've met who's towed an airstream. Thanks for your info.
Don't mind the questions at all and thank you also for the words of comfort.
1. the tongue weight is approximately 800#s. This is according to the hitch I bought for the van which is called "failsafe" which actually has dial on it that tells you what the tongue weight is.
2. I think my wet weight is probably around 6500#s. Not real sure since I have never put it on the scales.
3. I am not using a wd hitch because the owners manual for the van says not to. I personally love the fact that I don't have to use wd hitch. I had an equalizer hitch previously and constantly was readjusting it plus it was really noisy. The first time I hitched up to the van I thought the back in of the van would really sag. It did not seem to to move hardly at all. I think it has to do with better weight distribution on the van than with my truck.
4. My van is 148" with the medium roof. This version, according to the ford towing specs manual, pulls the maximum amount for the 2016 transit van and that is 7500#. It is a 250 instead of 350. What is amazing also it can carry 3156# in cargo and passengers. This is a lot more than any truck I ever had.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Great post,

I knew I shouldn't have typed it that way.

I should have said a new Chevy or Ford diesel is out based on the information posted by EZAirstream about them not making the diesel models any more. We would likely not choose the new Nissan because of aesthetics unless the profile changes in the next couple of years. (Sorry)

The van dweller jokes we can take as were already pretty laughable.

Generator storage would be a good point. If you did the propane conversion would there still be off gasing per sey.

We're not quite as handy as you so maintenance costs would be a consideration.

Neither of our Airstreams is complete so we don't know about tongue weights yet but they're both vintage so that may help a bit.

Hittenstiehl
Old 09-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Great post,

I knew I shouldn't have typed it that way.

I should have said a new Chevy or Ford diesel is out based on the information posted by EZAirstream about them not making the diesel models any more. We would likely not choose the new Nissan because of aesthetics unless the profile changes in the next couple of years. (Sorry)

The van dweller jokes we can take as were already pretty laughable.

Generator storage would be a good point. If you did the propane conversion would there still be off gasing per sey.

We're not quite as handy as you so maintenance costs would be a consideration.

Neither of our Airstreams is complete so we don't know about tongue weights yet but they're both vintage so that may help a bit.
Not sure where is EZAirstream got their info but my transit van is a 3.2 L diesel.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
I looked at it again and maybe he meant their one ton Ford when they went to the new model you have. Have to check that out.

Hittenstiehl