Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Confused about TT to TV wiring

I'm in the process of wiring my Suburban for trailer lights and brake controller. Being a 99, there is no ready to plug in kit for a 7 way (crap!), so I'm doing it "the hard way".

Here's my confusion...

All of the literature that came with my parts (3-2 converter, 7-way receptacle) indicate that Pin #1 should be ground, Pin #4 should be +12VDC. The manual for my Basecamp shows just the reverse. Does Airstream really do things backwards of the rest of the industry, or is it a misprint? I don't want to cook anything...

BTW - It would have been nice if Airstream had indicated the pin numbers in the manual, as well as the plug orientation...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Be very carfull when reading the pin locations. Make sure you are looking at the plug in the same relationship as the drawing.
Here is the standard diagram.

Electrical Tips

To check it out I would use a voltmeter. Ground to the trailer chassic and in DC voltage mode find the trailer battery 12 volts in the plug. Using a short piece of light guage wire go from the 12 volt pin to each suspected trailer light pins while someone is at the rear of the trailer. Once you have located the marker lights, righ and left signal lights the rest should be selfexplanitory. I say use a very light wire guage just in case you hit the ground or brake pins while testing. The light wire will act as a fuse befor you do any damage to the trailer wireing.

Once you have checked the trailer out compare it to the standard diagram keeping in mind the location of the Locater Tab on each. Things will be reversed as you go from the face of the female receptical to the face of the male plug.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
The reason they put the placement for the ground and 12+ is probably because these are both heavy wires like 8 or 10 gage wire. The rest are the same size. The plugs should mirror each other. So if the left turn signal is at 9:00 on the truck the trailer plug should be at 3:00 so when you plug them together they match.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Once you have checked the trailer out compare it to the standard diagram keeping in mind the location of the Locater Tab on each. Things will be reversed as you go from the face of the female receptical to the face of the male plug.

I have to go out of state to pick up my new to me AS 67 Overlander. I understand about converting color codes, wire guages, isolators, circuit breakers, etc. but:
I see wiring diagrams that show the ground at the top, and some that show the ground at the bottom.
If the trailer male plug has a locator tab, then which is at the top of the plug at the locator tab, white or red? A close up actual picture of the male end might be extremely helpful.
Is the ground pin larger in diameter on the AS plug?
todcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Most tow vehicles with a Class III hitch will have a round center and 6 surrounding flat contacts like this; note the indexing nub at the top that will let you put it in the socket only one way.

The distant trailer could have any number of different plugs on it right now. You'll really want to talk to the current owner and maybe get a photo of what's on there currently. Has the Overlander been in use enough for the previous owner to know that the lights work? Some other wiring incarnations (the link is old; the 1989 to 2002 style is still done to this day). My Argosy had a flat connector that isn't even on the Airstream FAQs. This link might also be of assistance - Marksrv.com 7 way wiring diagram page. A simple continuity tester will help you puzzle through the mirror image issues.

Folks who salvage old vintage trailers often take along their own accessory light harnesses to string along the outside of the trailer -- almost a necessity for recovering 1940s & 1950s Airstreams.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
The seller stated that the camper has the original 7 pin round pin plug, 66-81 style, used on a 67.

Without explaining any further, I have 3 questions:
1. Does the original factory male plug have a locator/guide tab?
2. If it does,which is at the top of the plug at the locator tab, white or red?
3. Is the ground pin larger in diameter on the original factory plug?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by todcor
The seller stated that the camper has the original 7 pin round pin plug, 66-81 style, used on a 67.

Without explaining any further, I have 3 questions:
1. Does the original factory male plug have a locater/guide tab?
2. If it does,which is at the top of the plug at the locater tab, white or red?
3. Is the ground pin larger in diameter on the original factory plug?
Without doing some investigating I'm not sure I can answer your questions other than to say that when I picked up my '67, it was still equipped with the original plug and it fit and worked perfectly with the factory socket on my '02 GMC Yukon XL.

I hope this helps.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
Thankyou to TomW for sending this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...pin-17761.html

It answered my questions. I wanted to be prepared as much as possible before leaving. Wish me luck.