Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
1 of the shipping ports in California made a rule requiring a maximum pollution output for any trucks that pick up loads there so any trucks built before a certain date had to be replaced or converted to CNG, many were converted.
Which port?

Details?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Which port?

Details?
After searching for a while, it looks like the San Pedro Bay ports (LA and Long Beach).

Found a paper from the American Chemical Society by Douglas R. Lawson from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

Interesting read. Some mix of intended and unintended consequences. Seems to be true of many things.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure what happened to my prior post, but you can read about several CA port initiatives here:

California Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition: Resources

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not sure what happened to my prior post, but you can read about several CA port initiatives here:

California Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition: Resources
Thanks!

More interesting reading.

Natural gas is a great fuel. It's the distribution system that makes it difficult for anything but fleet operations right now. Little Rock had a CNG station for a while, but it didn't survive. Of course, the fleets didn't patronize it because they had their own fuel depots.

Several years ago I worked in a shop in the Texas panhandle that serviced large engines that powered irrigation systems. Most of our work was natural gas powered engines. The engines had long lives and were very dependable. The difference was instead of using CNG, they had gas lines run to them. Easy for stationary engines.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, that free fuel is great. My, now deceased, Uncle had a very small "grasshopper" oil well on his farm. When the oil company was negotiating the lease he made them run a gas line to the house instead of burning it off. He heated the house, the chicken coop and maybe a couple other sheds with free natural gas for many years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yeah, that free fuel is great. My, now deceased, Uncle had a very small "grasshopper" oil well on his farm. When the oil company was negotiating the lease he made them run a gas line to the house instead of burning it off. He heated the house, the chicken coop and maybe a couple other sheds with free natural gas for many years.
Trust me, it was anything but free.

It wasn't oil or gas country, it was farm country. And those turbocharged 800 CID engines burned lots of gas running wide open 24/7.

I'm all for pushing natural gas. Maybe increased demand will make the royalties from my share of my grandfather's mineral rights go up. Last year I got almost $13.00.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Trust me, it was anything but free.

It wasn't oil or gas country, it was farm country. And those turbocharged 800 CID engines burned lots of gas running wide open 24/7.

I'm all for pushing natural gas. Maybe increased demand will make the royalties from my share of my grandfather's mineral rights go up. Last year I got almost $13.00.
Oh, my bad. I thought the shop was out in the oil patch.....never mind.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
For nat gas powered vehicles it's not if but when. As an investment it's not too early but how long will you hold dead money waiting for the government to get on board.
For the nat gas highway check out Clean Energy (CLNE) a company that is building the infrastructure & Westport Innovations (WPRT) a company that is partnering with Caterpiller to convert diesel engines, mainly for over the road trucks.
Pete